Rhythm and Rhyme Workshop

Workshop for poetry written in traditional forms.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Eldridge Searles Germany (2/14/2013 2:34:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

We have to ask ourselves though, what makes someone a professional poet?I really think that what is in the poetry, how poems are written, is what makes a poet labeled professional. It is when a substantial amount of people render a serious attraction to a poets writing style or by listening to the poetry as it is spoken. I believe it is what the people are in to for poetry, because if a poet writes what is soothing to the ears and eyes of the people, he will be deemed a professional poet.

E. Wayne Searles Author of " Poetic Visions From My soul"

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Donnaj York (2/14/2013 7:10:00 PM) Post reply

Technically speaking " professional" means you make money from your art, trade, or writing..... right?

I write but for myself. If I could write poems (or books) that others wanted to read that would be great. If I could make a living writing, that would be a dream come true.

But how rare is it that a poet actually earns a living writing? I think pretty darned rare. (Although I do " get" the difference intended in the original message regarding substance vs. emotional writing) Substance is what keeps me reading a piece whereas emotional writing will lose me midsteam.....especially love poems. But then I'm just that jaded sort of cynic.

[Hata Bildir]