Rhythm and Rhyme Workshop

Post a message
  • Rookie - 1st Stage Josie Whitehead (9/8/2007 4:27:00 PM) Post reply

I write a lot of my poems with rhyme and rhythm because I write for children. If you have children, or know of parents/grandparents/teachers, please tell them of my website: www.whiteheadm.co.uk Having said that I write for children, lots of adults tell me they like my work also.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Bryan Mahoney (7/31/2007 4:59:00 AM) Post reply

check out my poems

http: //www.poemhunter.com/bryan-mahoney/

• Rookie - 1st Stage Random Crap (7/29/2007 5:26:00 PM) Post reply

Just a tip - online rhyme dictionaries,
    for the time when you just cant think of a ryhme.
    Would apreciate comments and critique on my poems please
    x

• Rookie - 1st Stage ed darkness (7/19/2007 12:07:00 PM) Post reply

YAY for poets who use traditional rhyme!

YAY to YOU!

• Rookie - 1st Stage Josie Whitehead (6/29/2007 9:01:00 AM) Post reply

I am a children's poet, having just written my 230th children's poem. Do any of you feel that a separate section for children's poetry would be a good idea for PoemHunter? I think that teachers, looking for children's poetry, would like to have it separated from the main adult section. Anyone who agrees?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Goldy Locks (6/26/2007 11:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

For All

Ah to be alive
    on a mid-September morn
    fording a stream
    barefoot, pants rolled up,
    holding boots, pack on,
    sunshine, ice in the shallows,
    northern rockies.

Rustle and shimmer of icy creek waters
    stones turn underfoot, small and hard as toes
    cold nose dripping
    singing inside
    creek music, heart music,
    smell of sun on gravel.

I pledge allegiance

I pledge allegiance to the soil
    of Turtle Island,
    and to the beings who thereon dwell
    one ecosystem
    in diversity
    under the sun
    With joyful interpenetration for all.

Gary Snyder

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 1st Stage Josie Whitehead (6/29/2007 8:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I loved the clear description in your poetry. You brought the words to life. I could almost feel the cool waters washing over my feet. I think the little line: I pledge allegiance which stood alon ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Gregory Collins (6/27/2007 7:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

cannot remember much but he wrote one about how poetry comes to him, blundering over the boulders, going to meet it at the edge of the campfire.......i am always interested in kerouacs jaffy ryder...s ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Goldy Locks (6/21/2007 5:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The Miracle of Death

The miracle of death is precise like the law.
    Our bodies will decompose in their natural elements.
    Perhaps we'll meet as underground streams,
    as humus and salt at the roots of a plant
    that will flourish and open its petals,
    astounding everything with its anonymous beauty.
    Our bones will blossom . . . .

...............................................*But the souls?
    poor aerial creatures, they'll wander the clouds,
    forever separate and never whole.

by Moikom Zeqo | I Don't Believe in Ghosts
    Copyright © 2007 BOA Editions

* are spaces where each period signifies an enter mark.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Benny S. (6/20/2007 5:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I was wondering if anybody knew of any way to... 'feel'... iambic pentameter. I've been trying to do different forms, and a sonnet is what I thought of first, but I'm having trouble with iambic pentameter. I know what it is, definition-wise, but it's hard to 'feel' it... do you know what I mean? Can anybody help?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Tired of Being Exploited (6/22/2007 2:22:00 PM) Post reply

I strongly suggest this article for a quick run up on the feel. Remember that the Iambic Pentameter was the common structure of everyday English during the 17-18th centuries. They came by it naturally ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Real Girl (6/14/2007 3:21:00 PM) Post reply

La la la la fa fa fa fa ra ra ra ra
    may day lay pay
    cry my lie tie
    low toe no know
    orange.......

• Rookie - 1st Stage Josie Whitehead (6/14/2007 9:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Could anyone tell me how this is a workshop please?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (6/19/2007 3:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It used to be Rosie, but now people use it to flog their own poems, which is very boring. They put them on all the Forums, whether or not they are the correct type of thing for that Forum. I tried onc ... more

[Hata Bildir]