Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Freeform Workshop

Workshop for poetry written in free forms.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Solitary Man Male, 14, Zambia (4/7/2005 5:14:00 AM)

Personally, I think that freeform is the best style for self-expression because there is no formula and it is open for anybody. That doesn't mean that no discipline is required. I like all forms but I think beginners can gain confidence by starting with freeform writing until they find their feet. Just a thought.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Aldo Kraas (2/10/2007 9:26:00 PM) Post reply

I agree a 100% with it

• Leanna Stead (4/27/2005 9:05:00 AM) Post reply

You know, it's funny - but even though I agree with you, my experience was different. When I was growing up I had trouble writing freeform verse even though I wanted to very, very much. I found myself naturally composing in form - couplets and sonnets, mostly. The number of feet varied (except in the sonnet, of course) , but I used a lot of little tricks within the poems themselves to vary the rhythm inside instead of outside. That way I was able to play with the poems and add variety while still preserving the form.

Still, I do agree with you. For instance, I tried to write a villanelle for years. Now that I've written one, I don't want to write another. It was awfully difficult. : D

[Hata Bildir]