Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Michael Jack Canada (4/11/2006 7:56:00 PM)

A while ago I read a poem/story, something about the stars only coming out once every hundred years or something. Does anybody know this poem? If so, let me know where I can find a copy?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Sue Thom (8/23/2006 3:55:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Michael, you may be thinking of Isaac Asimov's short story 'Nightfall, ' which takes place on a world which has six suns. Only once every several thousand years do all of the suns set at once. Since the planet's inhabitants have never known darkness, they are driven mad by this occurrence and destroy their civilization by setting fires to create light. The stars are seen as baleful influences which cause the madness. The story has been anthologized many times; you should be able to find it in some of Asimov's short story collections or in general science fiction anthologies. In 1990, Asimov and Robert Silverberg published an expanded, novel-length version which examines what happens to the survivors of the holocaust. Hope this helps!

[Hata Bildir]