Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

John Haymond Male, 73, United States (4/7/2006 2:25:00 PM)

Hi Friends,
I am trying to find a favorite poem without being able to recall the poet's name or the true title. I believe the title might be 'A Hole in the Air' or something akin. It starts out about the writer's dog disappearing which he doesn't think unusual, but on the third day he feels the loss as a hole, or space, in the air. As the poem developes, the poet comes to realize the loss of his dog, and the grief he feels, may be more about the fear of losing his true love and the 'rose-petaled dissolution' of that love. It is a lovely poem, and I lost the my only copy. It's possible the poet's first name waas John. If anyone can help me find this poem, I would be thrilled.
Very Best!
John

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Sandra Sinrud (8/4/2006 4:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

John,

Since it's August now, I hope you found the poem MONTHS ago, but in case you didn't, the poem you're looking for is 'A Space in the Air' (you were close) and the author is Jon Silkin (close again, but no 'h') . It's a wonderful poem, and one of my favorites. I was reading it just this morning.

You can get the text from:
    http: //www.emule.com/2poetry/phorum/read.php? 4,30263,32132

It's with a group of poems they call, unfortunately, 'poems that make you cry'.

Last stanzas:
    But your death would be something else,
    Something else beyond me. It would not be
    Your death or my death, love,
    But our rose-linked dissolution.

So I feared his going,
    His death, not our death, but a hint at our death. And I shall always fear
    The death of those we love as
    The hint of your death, love.

Another one of my favorite poems is on that site, too - Jon Silkin's 'Death of a Son'.

Enjoy!

Sandra

P.S. My first attempt to post a reply didn't go through, so it's possible you'll get two responses from me.

Replies for this message:
    • John Haymond (2/6/2007 3:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

February 6,2007 Hi Sandra, I had given hope that anyone could help me find this wonderful poem. Thank you so much! I went to the emule.com website, but neither this poem nor any other contemp ... more

[Hata Bildir]