Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lavonne Ellenbecker Female, 50, United States (10/2/2005 6:15:00 PM)

Years ago in High School forensics one of the girls competing read a poem and I am now trying to find it for my daughter. I have NO IDEA what the title was and/or a lot of it. The basis of the poem was about a little girl who lived on another planet and this planet only had the sun come out once every? ? not sure how many years 10 - 20? ? and she had never seen it. She was probably around 7 or 8 and all she could talk about was how excited she was to see the sun; which was about to come out soon. Her other classmates were tired of her talking about it and pushed her into a closet, teasing her that they would keep her locked up and she wouldn't get to see the sun. Then the sun did come out and everyone ran outside to see it and they all forgot about the little girl in the closet as they all played and enjoyed the feel of the sun, etc.
ANYONE have any idea what poem it is and / or title, writer, etc. I'd love to hear from you! :)
Thanks.
LaVonne

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Sue Thom (8/23/2006 4:12:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Lavonne, I'm not familiar with a poem with this plot, but the short story 'All Summer in a Day' by Ray Bradbury fits your description exactly. The children live in a colony on Venus, where it rains almost all the time, so the one day when the sun comes out is quite a treat. You should be able to find the story in one of Bradbury's anthologies, and it has also been featured in a lot of general science fiction anthologies, literature textbooks, etc. Hope this helps!

• Sarah Munafo (1/6/2006 7:57:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Think this was a short story by either Asimov or Clarke - used ot have it in my collection, but the book fell apart. Story is only about 4 pages long, and extremely emotive.
    Hope this helps

• Kelly Moy (11/26/2005 2:27:00 PM) Post reply Stage

actually i am looking for the lyrics to the
    brigham bunch
    can you imagine the number of loads
    of landry at the beehive in one week

• Kelly Moy (11/26/2005 2:27:00 PM) Post reply Stage

actually i am looking for the lyrics to the
    brigham bunch
    can you imagine the number of loads
    of landry at the beehive in one week

[Hata Bildir]