Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Polly Durrant United Kingdom (6/9/2005 4:04:00 AM)

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me find a children's poem that my sister and I have been looking for for years! It was a poem my father used to read to us when we were small. I had thought for many years that Spike Milligan had written it, but as I have been unable to find it amongst his work I am guessing I must be wrong! It begins...'One day in a perranporth pet shop, on a glorious morning in June, A lady from Parr bought a budgerigar and it sang to a glorious tune' I'm afriad that's all I can recall but would love to trace the full poem as a gift for my sister. Any ideas anyone? ! Many thanks, Polly D

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Bradley Bailey (7/8/2005 7:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think Charles Causley wrote “One day in a Perranporth pet shop”. I'm not sure about the book, but it may be in Figgie Hobbin: Poems for Children, (from Amazon) I’ve been looking but I can’t find a list of the poems in the book. I know Colonel Fazackerly is in it.
    We used to enjoy having the poems read to us at Primary School in Perranporth, in Cornwall
    Hope this helps
    Brad

Replies for this message:
    • Polly Durrant (8/7/2005 2:02:00 PM) Post reply

Dear Brad, I cannot thank you enough. You were absolutely right! It was Figgie Hobbin by Charles Causely and my sister is delighted! We had a lot of fun reading our old favourites - including Colone ... more

[Hata Bildir]