Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Gracie Sprouse (3/30/2009 9:16:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I've had in my possession for sometime an 8 verse poem entitled 'Departed Friends'. I cannot identify the author. It's the original handwritten copy and has been in my families possession for many many years.The poem is too beautiful and too good not to have been published somewhere!
    It is old world handwriting so I'm having trouble making out the signature.
    It is signed E. A. Green or E. Charles(ct.or A abbreviated) Green, Greenland Cottage, VA, Monday, Feb.7,1876
    Any help anyone can offer will be appreciated.
    Here is the first verse:
    Many dear friends I've seen depart
    And bourne beyond the gloom
    The gloomy entrance of the grave
    The dark and silent tomb
    They still are going one by one
    Till many now have gone
    Gone to the cold and silent grave
    And I am following on
    Thanks for all help

• Rookie Amy Hall (3/27/2009 5:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem that I read shortly after 9/11. It was something like 'what is this death' and some lines included, '..what is it but an inconvenience' and 'I am here, just in the next room'. The poem is very peaceful and serene. I have searched everywhere and cannot find this poem. If anyone can help! It was published in a sunday newspaper magazine, like Parade. Thank you!

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Laura Burns (3/29/2009 11:42:00 AM) Post reply

Could this be it? WHAT IS DEATH? by Canon Henry Scott Holland Death is nothing at all. I have only slipped away into the next room. I am I and you are you. Whatever we were to each othe ... more

• Rookie Bob Mosley (3/25/2009 12:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I recall reading a poem years ago in an anthology of poems. The poet was lamenting the passing of his very small dog who had a very large heart. The poem I think used the title of the name of the little dog, Stout Heart, Strong Heart, Brave Heart, one of those or very similar to it. And it extoled how brave and what a large heart this small dog had. I do not recall the name of the poet. It was in I believe an anthology of American poems and they were devided into subject matter, and this one was in the section about dogs and perhaps dogs that had passed on. I have looked but have not found it since. Does anyone recall this poem? Any help appreciated.

• Rookie Shweta Labana (3/25/2009 5:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hello dear i read your post it's great i like it dear i agry with you dear i tell you one thing this site is very useful this site provide me alot of facility dear i love this side dear thanx [a ... more

• Rookie Stephen Johnson (3/24/2009 12:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi. A friend of mine used this phrase, and I'm wondering where it came from. Is there anyone that's heard of it before? Thanks.

'There are clefts in the rock where we see the back part of God and tremble. There's no training for what you saw out there because it's not an enemy that confronts us. It's a new power, let loose through a crack in the cliff of nature's mystery.'

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Byronhunter Gro (3/17/2009 12:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi mates herer,
    where is the full length poem of 'The Corsair '.It wrote by Byron.

• Rookie Anthony Wiley (3/16/2009 5:31:00 PM) Post reply

does anyone know a chole

• Rookie Martha Marshall (3/8/2009 5:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for the poem that was read at my neice's funeral yesterday,
    It sounded so familiar but i can't find it.
    It was about the deceased saying 'Do not sit by my grave, I am not there'
    and then goes on to say where she is, in the wind, in the rain the leaf, the glint on snow (or new fallen snow, maybe) It was such an emotional day and I forgot to find the person that could tell me. Thanks for any help.

• Rookie Evelien Baet (3/6/2009 6:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hi
    i am looking for a poem about caliban(i think) . It's about a person who sees a naked man sitting in the desert eating a heart and this person talks to this guyabout it and then 'caliban' says something like: ' i like it because it is my own heart.'
    it a short poem only about 5 or 6 lines
    does anyone know it? thanks

• Rookie Laura Burns (3/6/2009 8:27:00 PM) Post reply

This sounds like Stephen Crane's poem 'In the Desert': In the desert I saw a creature, naked, bestial, who, squatting upon the ground, Held his heart in his hands, And ate of it. I said, ' ... more

• Rookie Barnett Helzberg (2/21/2009 3:23:00 PM) Post reply

Hi,

I am seeking suggestions for a poem to use in a video project starring my kids. My idea is to have them recite the same poem on video year after year until they are old enough to refuse me. Then I can edit lines together from different clips through the years.

I was thinking a classic poem about growing up or change or timelessness, but I know nothing about poetry. On this site, I found Bright Star by Keats, but I'm curious what a knowledgeable person would suggest.

My sons are 6 and 4 now.

See a more polished video project on a completely different theme here (I have no connection, just a fan) :
    http: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=Us-TVg40ExM

Thanks in advance!
    Barnett

• Rookie Robert Scheetz (2/8/2009 10:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Does anyone know the name of the Maya Angelou poem that she recites in Tyler Perry's 'Madea's Family Reunion'?

[Hata Bildir]