Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • John Reynolds (9/3/2008 2:03:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I am trying to find a poem heard once on poetry please some time ago about a ghost who haunts a house to scare new buyers away but they enjoy it so much he eventually disappears.

• Donald Ellis (9/2/2008 11:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi,

This is a pretty random question, but any help is appreciated. I am not sure if I am looking for a poem or if it was a short story we studied, but the poem/story discussed the inevitability of death. In the poem/story the narrator is hanging from a vine/root and is slipping and waiting for him is death and he understands that no matter what he does eventually he will die.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am talking about. I thought it might be Tolstoy but I can't find it under his works, anything similar. Any help is appreciated.

• Sean Foxx (8/29/2008 3:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

does anyone know where I can get my hands on a free e-book version of the 'Epic of Gilgamesh'

Replies for this message:
  • Beresford Greene (8/25/2008 2:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

When I was young my mother used to say a line something like this: -
    'For I have loved you/thee Senora, in my fashion.' More recently I think I heard this poem being read. Perhaps they said it was by a Welsh poet. The line fragment '... in my fashion.' kept repeating. The name 'Senora' or perhaps 'Seonora' was sometimes included in this reprise/refrain. Can anyone identify this poem for me. No searches have worked so far on this or other sites. In anticipation, I thank thee. BJG

• Laura Burns (8/25/2008 7:04:00 PM) Post reply Stage

You have misheard the name 'Cynara' as the word Senora. The poem, by Ernest Dowson, is on this site: http: //www.poemhunter.com/poem/non-sum-qualis-eram-bonae-sub-regno-cynarae/

• Michelle Bolitho (8/25/2008 4:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hello everyone - my dad died recently and I am trying to find the full text of a poem he often used to quote - I have tried all the usual search options with no luck. The only words I know are

'Hide the pain, bury it deep, only the weak complain'.

All help appreciated.

• Laura Burns (8/25/2008 7:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Is this it? ' Never Admit The Pain ' Never admit the pain, Bury it deep; Only the weak complain, Complaint is cheap. Cover thy wound, fold down, Its curtained place; Silence is sti ... more

• Lehcaranne Lee (8/24/2008 9:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi,

I am looking for a poem for my father's funeral. I can't remember the title of the poem...nor the entire text. But it was very touching and I would very much like to read it at his funeral.

The only things I remember about the poem, it had words listing:
    'I do not normally believe in miracles, but today I ask for just one'...something about a door opening and watch you walk through.

I know it's not much to go by...but I haven't had luck finding it on the internet. All your help is appreciated.

Thank you!

• Jessi Mulling (8/20/2008 9:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hey. I'm looking for a poem to have engraved for my mom on my wedding day. I've found some online, but they just aren't special enough. Anyone have any ideas? ?

• leeanne m (8/20/2008 8:00:00 AM) Post reply Stage

anyone know of a classic poem that expresses an apology to a friend that you hurt emotionally? thanks! !

• S P (8/19/2008 11:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm looking for a poem I read a long time ago, and hope s/o can help me find it. It's about a guy that comes into a shop and begins criticizing a stuffed bird. How fake it looks, how the bird wasn't stuffed right, etc. At the very end of the poem, the bird turns around and ends up being very much alive.

• Laura Burns (8/20/2008 7:52:00 PM) Post reply Stage

The Owl Critic 'Who stuffed that white owl? ' No one spoke in the shop: The barber was busy, and he couldn't stop; The customers, waiting their turns, were all reading The 'Daily, ' the 'Heral ... more

• Foti Xh (8/16/2008 6:52:00 AM) Post reply Stage

hi! i was wondering if anyone could help me, or better, suggest me any poets that are worth to read. i kind of like philosophic poems or topics. thanks

[Hata Bildir]