Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Janet Smith (12/21/2012 7:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem that I heard once ages ago and parts of it stuck with me, the poem is about someone or something called Adelaide and I have since adopted a cat with the same name which triggered me off to search for the poem.
    The only parts I know are; -

Adelaide was quite dismayed,
    The more she ate, the less she weighed,
    The less she weighed, the more she ate,
    And addled Adelaide lost weight.

She stuffed herself with meat and cheese,
    Potatoes, pumpkins, pies and peas,
    But standing on the scales she found,
    That she had lost at least a pound.

I really hope that someone can help me on this one as it's driving me nuts! !

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (12/21/2012 2:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I do not have the poem, but it is by Jack Prelutsky and you can find it in his book The Queen of Eene

• Rookie - 0 Points Elissa C (12/21/2012 12:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

So I have been trying to recall the name of a poem for several years now so that I can find it, hopefully someone will have an idea. I read it in a book of childrens poems, it was about a girl in a pond who was guarded by frogs with spears and fish. All the creatures thought she was asleep but she was dead. There were parts about reeds in her hair or something of the like. In the book there was a picture of a girl in the water in a white dress with the fore mentioned frogs. It is an older poem, I know its a long shot but if anyone has any idea what poem it may be I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Replies for this message:
    • Joe Kelly (12/25/2012 2:27:00 PM) Post reply

Hi This poem could well be from the mid-19th century and was writen by Irish poet, William Allingham; The titel of the poem, 'Up the Airy Mountain.

• Joe Kelly (12/25/2012 2:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi This poem you're looking for might be the one written in the mid-19th century by a poet called William Allingham, called, 'Up the Airy Mountain'?Here are the first few lines 'Up the airy mount ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Claire Zoola (12/20/2012 10:14:00 PM) Post reply

So I read this poem a little while ago, probably on tumblr. And it was about homes, and finding homes, and building homes. And the line that really struck me was along the lines of " a person can be a home" and I really just need to find this poem.
    Sorry that I don't remember more!

• Rookie - 0 Points Vicki Nelson (12/20/2012 9:45:00 PM) Post reply

looking for the rest of this Christmas poem....

Please help
    tomorrow is Christmas day
    the toys are not ready for Santa's sleigh
    Balls bounce up but do not bounce down
    mama doll has torn her gown
    coo-coo clock does not tock
    rockin' horse hasn't learned to rock

• Rookie - 0 Points Sarah Mohyla (12/18/2012 4:21:00 PM) Post reply

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site and I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at my poems and comment and rate them! thx! !

• Rookie - 0 Points Paul Marshall (12/18/2012 4:21:00 AM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem by Winfield Townley Scott. I think it's called December music and it's about sheltering in a doorway from the rain, wanting to " feel" Christmas as he once did.Some phrases are, I think, " cars meshed in the rain " , " wanted it bell to bell " . Many thanks Paul

• Rookie - 0 Points Charis Holland (12/16/2012 4:32:00 PM) Post reply

Hello,
    When I was in the 9th grade my English teacher had the class read a poem. It was a lengthy poem basically about revenge. I wish I could remember more about it but it has been a few years. It goes something like " His son killed his son" and so on. Like one man killed another man's son, so the son's father killed him and so on. I know it's very vague but I would really love to figure out what that poem was.

thanks a million,
    Charis

• Rookie - 0 Points Sarah Mckenzie (12/15/2012 6:32:00 PM) Post reply

looking for the rest of this Christmas poem....

Please help
    tomorrow is Christmas day
    the toys are not ready for Santa's sleigh
    Balls bounce up but do not bounce down
    mama doll has torn her gown
    coo-coo clock does not tock
    rockin' horse hasn't learned to rock

• Rookie - 0 Points Derek J. Brandt (12/15/2012 12:56:00 AM) Post reply

Hello fellow poets. I have been silent in this community while I was setting up camp. And now that I have a presentable collection, I am ready to interact with you, an exchange ratings and such. I do not believe my work would be a waste of your time reading. As I reveal a powerful message to those who will unravel the intricacies of these riddles. Have a look and I will return the favor. If you admire my work, and would like to subscribe to my activity via facebook, my fan page link can be found below. As well as the link to my Virtual Portfolio. The true way to capture the energy of each work.

Virtual Portfolio:
    http://derekjbrandt.wix.com/americanpoet

Subscription:
    http://facebook.com/derekjbrandt.poetry

• Rookie - 0 Points Katie Mcdaniel (12/13/2012 10:50:00 PM) Post reply

Hello everyone :)

I am looking for a particular poem; however, I can't remember the title of the poem, the author, or the exact quote... I know, sounds pretty hopeless, right?But I figure it's at least worth a try!

I think the quote was talking about a peacock, although it could have been another type of bird. Anyhow, I believe the quote was something along the lines of: " the [peacock] [treads/walks/steps] with [?????] feet." At first I thought that maybe the poet was W. B. Yeats, but his poem " The Peacock" wasn't a match. Please, if anyone can help, let me know :)

[Hata Bildir]