Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Pat Noto (1/18/2013 4:18:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I work in a large public library and we have an elderly gentleman who is organising his own Humanist funeral ceremony. He is very anxious to trace a poem, the opening lines of which he believes to be 'As I stood on the bridge at the change of seasons...' He is adamant that it is not the similar famous line penned by Longfellow. The poem that he is trying to track down has no religious overtones. We have explored all the usual avenues, including The Poetry Library and the British Humanist Association, and have drawn a resounding blank. Any ideas?

• Rookie Cameron Javier (1/17/2013 8:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey Guys,
    I am looking for any funny poets or poetry that I could read aloud in my communications class. I was thinking that I would rather not get too dramatic, but keep it light hearted and funny. Thanks for the help!

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Arron Fowler (1/17/2013 2:17:00 AM) Post reply

Hey guys i have only just started writing poems i need some more friends to share thoughts with and i need comments on my poems
    check out my new one Theres a Succubuss in my bedroom. Thankyou i will read your poems too NEEEED MORE FRIENDS AHHA.

• Rookie Shal Hodder (1/15/2013 4:39:00 PM) Post reply

Please help me find this poem.
    It is about a woman whose lover is killed in an accident before their wedding
    She gets a stonemason to start carving the headstone for his grave and he leaves space at the bottom and the poem ends when she has taken her own life and he adds her name to the headstone.
    It reads like a classical poem.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thank you

• Rookie Sara Aist (1/13/2013 11:06:00 PM) Post reply

Hello,
    Does anyone know in which Walter Rinder book I could find the poem " What is Love?"

I would greatly appreciate this information! Our library system only has one of his books (Love is an Attitude- and it doesn't contain the poem) and right now I only want to buy the one that has " What is Love?" in it.
    Thank you!

• Rookie Tina Buseman (1/12/2013 1:40:00 PM) Post reply

OK. so this could be a complete waste of time but my sister and i are looking for a poem that my mother read when she was in 4-6th grade (1970's) . She read it in a school book and at the end of each chapter there were questions and quizes but at the end of one chapter there was a short poem about a black horse. That is all she could remember besides that it was " rearing up" . Our mother was sick and she made videos before she passed away and that is where we got this information from. She couldn't remember that much detail as the cancer was affecting her memory. If anyone knows anything please let me know. We would love to know what this poem is. Thanks, Tina

• Rookie Nancy Mcconnell (1/8/2013 9:47:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem that i read in the 70's. It may be called " Wonder" . It has the words " Barefoot Birthday anticipation" in it. It is very short. Does anyone know this one?

• Rookie Cyrus Newman (1/7/2013 9:15:00 PM) Post reply

Hi. I'm trying to find a poem I read years ago about childhood, and the loss of it. It was written in the first person and was about the friendship with a boy or a girl and contained the line " you were seven and I was six" (maybe different ages, but they're the ones in my mind, and I think it was in the order of " you" being first) .
    There was a line about playing (?) in a cherry lane and it closed with a line mourning the loss of those days with words such as " the days would never come again" , or similar.

The poem was short and full of emotion, and for some reason I swear I read it in a newspaper as being recited at Princess Diana's funeral, but can find no reference to that and must have been mistaken. Thanks in advance for any help!

• Rookie Joyce Bacon (1/7/2013 8:20:00 AM) Post reply

65 years ago, I had to recite a poem in our elementary school pageant. I was dressed as as doll with a crutch and bandages that had been thrown to the bottom of the toy box. It started with: I am a crippled doll (or dolly) I would love to be able to find this poem to share with my great-granddaughters.

• Rookie Lauren R (1/7/2013 5:06:00 AM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem about life backwards, when I search on the internet all it gives is a quote from woody allen, but that's not it. I's a rather old poem about, like I said, life backwards. It's start with something like 'out of our graves we crawl' it goes to the hospital, he grows younger, works to get fit, and it ends with disappearing into nothing. There also are some lines like 'our mouths create food' and 'we get carried into the.... to get alive', .... but different said. It is a very great poem with some lovely metaphors and I really really want to find out how it goes.. Thank you so much if you know something about it!

[Hata Bildir]