Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie - 5 Points Tom R (11/26/2013 9:54:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Looking for a Thanksgiving children's poem that many elementary students in the 1950s and 1960s were required to memorize in school. The lines I remember are " Tom Turkey was worried, late news made him quake. Thanksgiving he heard, meant his life was at stake." The poem goes on to tell how he decided to go on a diet to save his life. If anyone is familiar with this poem, please post or contact me. Thank you.

• Rookie Doug De Regnier (11/23/2013 7:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a Poem for my Dad all he can remember is " The Indian summer time has come the fairest of all the year" I think I have read every poem about Indian summer but cant find it. I am sure it is an old poem my grandmother used to recite it to him when he was a boy. Any help would be great.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Laura Burns (11/24/2013 5:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

INDIAN SUMMER by M. L. Baum The Indian Summer time has come, The sweetest of all the year, The water's hue is a loving blue, The sunny air is so warm and fair, The skies are calm and clear ... more

• Rookie Peter Schulling (11/23/2013 5:36:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for the title and author for the poem below. It is recited in German in the Japanese film Megane. The translation from the subtitles is also below.
    Thanks!

Mir ist bewusst was Freiheit bedeutet
    Folge dem Wege geradeaus,
    meide die Tiefen des Meeres,
    doch hab ich solch Wort hinter mir gelassen.
    Der Mond scheinet auf jedem Wege,
    wie die in der Dunkelheit wie Diamanten schwimmenden Fische;
    heiß wie durch Zufall Mensch - und hier bin ich.
    Was hatte ich zu befürchten,
    mit was zu kämpfen,
    bald ist es Zeit die Lasten zu legen.
    Erteile mir noch mehr Kraft,
    Kraft zur Liebe.
    Mir ist bewusst was Freiheit bedeutet,
    mir ist bewusst was Freiheit bedeutet.

I know what Freedom is.
    Follow the path straight ahead.
    Keep out of the ocean deeps
    I have left such words behind me
    The Moon shines upon all paths
    like Fish who swim like Diamonds in the Dark
    Called a human being by chance – so here I am
    What did I have to fear?
    Against what was I struggling?
    It’s time for me to lay down my heavy load.
    Give me even more strength,
    Strength to love.
    I know what Freedom is.
    I know what Freedom is.

• Rookie - 0 Points Glen Dodge (11/23/2013 10:51:00 AM) Post reply

I heard this poem back in college in the 80's and haven't been able to dig it up. I'm pretty sure it was an American poet but could have been from the UK or Canada.

Here goes. The poem as I recall was something about the abuse of the planet how people cut down the trees then shadows started to emerge from the resulting holes and the people tried to fill the holes but couldn't. My memory tells me there was a tone of callousness about the people and lines like, " Because they could, " or " So why not?" Anyway I recall that eventually the shadows swarmed together but how it all ended I don't remember but could it have ended well? I doubt it. I'd like to figure out who wrote it and what it's called and put this hassle to bed.

Thanks

g.d

• Rookie Susan Cronshaw (11/21/2013 1:45:00 PM) Post reply

I am not a poet. This is my first post - hope I am doing this correctly.
    I am doing my family history and my husband's G. Grandfather was a Michael McGeough. A poem was written above his and I have a copy of it and above is a picture of and the name of Siegfried Sassoon 1886 - 1967. It is not an original and looks as though it has been printed onto a page of a diary (I have only one page with no other entries) .
    They poem may or may not have been written by Siegfried Sassoon - it is as follows: -

THE VILLAGE OF CARRIVE GROVE IN CO. ARMAGH

There is a Village grand
    Its beauty appeals to all
    With scenery so charming,
    Its roaring river in the valley
    A fishing we would go on weekends
    Salmon trout and eels in great numbers
    In the village of Carrive Grove

The great musicaners of long day past
    And singers of old tradition still remembered
    Where at the dancing dyke much joy was there
    The beautiful hedges with shapes of birds and animals
    Were once a thrill to see
    While listening to Mickey McGeough playing the
    stack of barley on the fiddle
    In the village of Carrive Grove

Mickey McGeough was my husband's great grandfather and he was very much into Topiary and the Fiddle (also the penny whistle) , so much so that he couldn't pay his rent and lost his farm.

Can anyone confirm for me that this is actually a poem by Siegfried Sassoon?

Sue

• Rookie - 3 Points Tiana Webb (11/19/2013 5:34:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for lyrics actually. I don't know what the song is called so I can't just search it. Some of the lyrics are something like 'wake up' 'superstar' 'hard work' 'get that far'. These are some of the lyrics of the chorus but I can't find it. Any help??

• Rookie Ajit Hutheesing (11/19/2013 10:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have been asking in this FORUM about the so-called poet JING JING - No one has responded to the question: Does Jing Jing exist?Or are the poems attributed to him/her actually from THE BOOK OF SONGS - the earliest collection of ancient Chinese poems. PLEASE HELP - ANYBODY?

• Rookie Tiana Webb (11/19/2013 5:35:00 PM) Post reply

When I'm gone is a poem by Jing Jing. Guo Jingjing is a Chinese female diver from the People's Republic of China. She has won the 3m springboard event at five consecutive World Championships. Is t ... more

• Rookie Joyce Mcbride (11/19/2013 7:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a copy of Maya Angelou poem that begins, " When I say I am a Christian" thank you

• Rookie Laura Burns (11/19/2013 11:24:00 AM) Post reply

Maya Angelou did not write that poem. The wrong attribution is a common one, though. The poem is by Carol Wimmer and can be found on her web site, which is under her name.

• Rookie Michael Hankinson (11/16/2013 5:05:00 PM) Post reply

Please assist if you can.

I urgently need to locate the copyright owner of these two poems by Fernando Pessoa, which may be translations from the Portuguese, as I want to use them in a new choral composition.

I don't have title but the first lines are:

1. The child with the golden hair
    lies on the crown of the road
    has his guts outside
    and by its' bit of cord
    a train
    and is unaware

2. The warm wind sweeps the deserted plain
    pierced by two bullets through and through
    he lies there dead and cold.
    Title may be " His mother's very own" .

• Rookie Jennya Alexeyeva (11/15/2013 3:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, this isn't exactly me trying to find a poem I remember hearing once, but I'm looking for any good poem that has 100 words. Can you guys give me advice?Thanks! Also, Jennya here, nice to meet you guys. :)

• Rookie Laura Burns (11/16/2013 11:01:00 AM) Post reply

Shel Silverstein has a book of 100-word poems on the web available for free download, give it a search.

[Hata Bildir]