Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Cris Felch (8/28/2013 1:48:00 PM) Post reply

Hi everyone....I am looking for a Poem by an author with the last name of Chamberlain and has the line " To have your hand in mine" in it. Can anyone help me? thank you appreciate your time.

• Liron Shekel (8/27/2013 8:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a poem by W. H. Auden from Marginalia that includes the line " a dead man who never caused others to die seldom rates a statue." , or is that the poem?I've never heard/read more so I guess it might be :)

Thank you in advance.

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (8/27/2013 8:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Marginalia (II) II A dead man who never caused others to die seldom rates a statue. The last king of a fallen dynasty is seldom well spoken of. Few even wish they could read the lo ... more

• Leslie White (8/26/2013 9:27:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem that my mother-in-law shared about how fast kids grow up. There is a line about sewing a button. I remember standing at your door. I wished I stayed a minute more. Thanks for your help

• Patricia Galli (8/26/2013 12:14:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem that I memorized in kindergarten in 1948. the first lines are:
    " God made the great wide world.
    He made you and me.
    He made the earth and the sky
    and the deep blue sea."

• R Rezek (8/24/2013 10:43:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem I heard on the radio (an interview on public radio with the poet, in 2007) by a contemporary male poet about parents, essentially watching them grown older and infirm, possibly including mourning them after their death. I think it was parents, and not a specifically a mother or father. I know there was some reference to the discomfort/embarrassment we feel when we think about our conception. I would LOVE to find this poem again.

• Grr Mm (8/20/2013 8:05:00 AM) Post reply

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-day-in-daylight/ For my poem is worthy of you too see, so see by viewing this link of my poem 'A Day in Daylight'

• Trish Arrowsmith (8/18/2013 10:43:00 AM) Post reply

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out. I'm looking for a poem that I originally read in the The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I no longer have the book that it was in and I can't seem to find a copy of the book anywhere that contains the poem. I know a few lines from the poem, although I'm not sure if they are in the correct order or if I'm missing any lines in between.

Two men together came aboard
    to join the teeming anxious hoard
    The first was brawny big and strong
    the second sickly with hair worn long
    Two men bound by bonds hid deep
    the smaller one cried in his sleep
    Tormented man he frets and curses
    words too strong for published verses
    Til came his friends restraining hand
    round his throat like iron band
    Be silent partner stay your breath
    or at my hands you'll meet your death.

If anyone knows the name of the poem (or the original author as I'm not sure that it was Mark Twain) it would be greatly appreciated.

• Denise Thorud (8/16/2013 11:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

There's a poem my dad heard recited by an older coworker some 40 years ago. It has become somewhat of a family " thing" , being passed on to me then my son and recited in a few community talent shows. He's just never known the title or author and also knows there's a few stanzas of hobo names he's forgotten. This is all I know:

" Back in 1900, as everybody knows, Utah and Wyoming were (fairly sworn with bows?) . They came from North south east and west, and ever state you mention, The reason why they gathered there, was to hold the bum's convention. I grabbed a freight that very night, a fast freight to Chicago. but the brakeman threw me off, at a little town called Fargo.. As I sat along the track, a fireman came along and said, son, climb that water tower and sign your monogram..As I climbed that water tower, there in the names of chalk, were the names of every hobo, from Frisco to New York. Toot toot there goes my westbound freight, I must be on my way, if you're not here when I return, I bid you all gooday.

Has ANYBODY ever heard this or know who wrote it? That info would be one of the best presents my 70 yr old dad could get. Thanks for any and all help.

• Edgar Stevens (8/6/2013 3:46:00 AM) Post reply

Poem Hunter Poetry Contest has officially started. You can enter with your favorite poem now or write a new one and submit it before August 31st,2013.

Prize is $1,000 for the winner and $250 for the 2nd and 3rd place..

You can write in any poetic style and on any subject.

Entering the contest is free.

Details: http://www.poemhunter.com/contest/

• Steve Downes (8/5/2013 4:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Looking for a poet I haven't read before, something modern, with a bit of bite to it, I enjoy poetry with socio-political overtones
    anyone got any suggestions?

• Santhana Louis (8/13/2013 2:15:00 AM) Post reply

I would be pleased if you choose to go through my poems. thanks louis santhana

[Hata Bildir]