Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Patricia Ellison (1/18/2014 4:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I am searching for a poem I read in Jr. High School. It had to do with a statue and a bird who refused to abandon the statue when winter came and the rest of the flock flew south. Appreciate any help in locating this poem.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Laura Burns (1/19/2014 2:37:00 PM) Post reply

This sounds to me like Oscar Wilde's short story " The Happy Prince" rather than a poem.

• Rookie Sa-leanne Knight (1/17/2014 4:46:00 PM) Post reply

Hello I am trying to find a poem that I heard many many years ago, It didn't mean anything to me then but now I am a wife and a mother this poem is playing on my mind all the time and I must find it. Basically the husband leaves for work in the morning, he asks his wife to pay a bill or post a letter I cannot remember, as she reaches for the letter she notices the plant needs watering, then as she is filling up the watering can she may as well wash the dishes, it goes on like this and then husband comes home and she hasn't posted the letter, the one thing he asked her to do. I was wondering if anybody knows of this poem please?x

• Rookie - 118 Points Rahman Henry (1/17/2014 4:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am working to publish a book of translation in my own language (Bengali) , that is going to be a bilingual book (English & Bengali) with only the poems by NOBEL LAUREATES. Please, friends, help me with their poems in English translation.

rahmanhenry@aol.com

• Rookie - 118 Points Laura Burns (1/18/2014 1:02:00 PM) Post reply

You can find translated poems by some of these authors at Project Gutenberg. Of course, several did write in English to begin with. Best wishes for your project.

• Rookie Deb Flaugh (1/5/2014 3:33:00 PM) Post reply

Hello - I am looking for humorous poems that can be used in speech competitions. They need to be of the same topic and at least 2-3 minutes long when reading them. For example: the topic could be food/dieting, Wizard of Oz, Fairy Tales, first kiss, dating, or any other topic appropriate for a high school student to recite. Thanks!

• Rookie Emma Timms (1/4/2014 12:31:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, I am a new member and am trying to find a poem I have only heard once. It was on the eve of a very dear called Jack's funeral. It had some words along the lines of 'remembering old Jack and his woodshed' not sure if it was a cowboy poem but was about old days and reminiscing about gardens, woodshed and 'old jack'. Possibly a cowboy/American poem?

Any help would be appreciated!

• Rookie Chris Blore (12/31/2013 4:57:00 PM) Post reply

Hi
    This is my first posting on this forum. I'm looking for a poem that I heard 40 years ago and some of the lines have stayed with me:
    " And then just six months later
    Another psychoassassination
    Another murder for the crowd
    Luther King he died for freedom
    Freedom really did him proud"

I thought that it was written by Adrian Mitchell or Roger McGough, but I have looked through my books by these writers and cannot find it. Google searches also do not help. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be really grateful.

Many thanks - Chris

• Rookie - 0 Points Nathaniel Watkins (12/26/2013 5:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello fellow poets
    hope your holidays
    have been pleasent thus far.
    My name is noronradss55 i am
    fairly new to poet hunter and
    i am looking to make new friends
    If anyone would like to checkout
    my poem page feel free that is
    if your not squeemish or scare
    easily.The reason i say this is
    because (The Uninvited) is
    not for everyone. So until
    i post again good luck to
    all and keep those pens
    buzzing.

• Rookie Jessica Wasson (12/24/2013 2:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for what I think is a poem or an ode to books. I do not remember much. I recall the poem giving thanks to books and talking about the adventures they take you on. It could have been an ode to a story. Either way, I am struggling to find it. Any information would be appreciated.

• Rookie Garry Mc Coombs (12/23/2013 5:20:00 AM) Post reply

I remember part only a line from a poem my father-in-law LP Lish quoted in his English class 48 years ago. I always wanted to memorize it.. can anyone tell me the name and author.?

" ...I envy the water's ability to touch her.."

• Rookie Michael Gray (12/16/2013 8:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello all,

I'm trying to track down a poem that my Grandad used to read every New Year's Eve. We have recordings of him reciting the poem in years gone by, and half of a text, but he never knew where the lyrics came from, or even how they ended.

Here's what we have;

‘Reggie Duff’

Greedy youngster, Reggie Duff,
    Christmas pudding, ripping stuff.
    Saw his mother make a lot,
    Saw her take them from the pot.
    Saw her put them on the shelf,
    Thought he’d like to help himself.
    Hadn’t pluck enough to try,
    Had to wait ‘til by and by.

Christmas dinner, turkey first,
    Pudding ‘til he nearly burst.