Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Ling Ling (9/10/2013 12:35:00 AM) Post reply

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a copy of a children's poem by Rupert Loydell called " If you were made of chocolate" . I managed to find a version on the internet, but only 5 of the 6 stanzas, will the final stanza missing. I know it can be found in Loydell's book of poems called " The Fantasy Kid" , and in a collection of children's poems called " Sensational: Poems chosen by Roger McGough" , but unfortunately I can't find copies of either book where I'm based.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks loads!

• Dennis Hunter (9/9/2013 4:16:00 PM) Post reply

Now nothing fret regarding earnings. Our Company wants home users for his or her monetary reportings. I created $3576 this Month already...Here is that the website for additional data.]]] www.bar17.com

• Daniel Drucker (9/6/2013 7:03:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for an anonymously written poem (or at least I believe I remember reading that its author was anonymous when I had it) . The only lines I remember are something to the effect of:

You are not where you are,
    You're where you're getting to,
    And I'd like to get there too.

I believe those to be the closing lines of the poem though I can't remember very well.

• John Lee (9/6/2013 3:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The poem is an English poem, from England.
    It is an old poem, the setting is the 16th/17th/18th century.
    I'm not sure when it was written.

The poem is about a man riding to somewhere north of London.
    I had thought it was Edmonton, but I haven't found anything of that name.

The poem is also humorous. It is written in the style of a ballad. I believe Ballad
    may actually be in the title itself.

I think the rider may have been called John.

The poem must be quite famous as I studied it at school.

thanks

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (9/7/2013 11:07:00 AM) Post reply

The poem is The Diverting History of John Gilpin. (And yes, he goes to Edmonton.) A very long poem, you can find it on the Poemhunter site or elsewhere on the web.

• Lisa Lewis (9/6/2013 5:42:00 AM) Post reply

help friends! I am looking for an older poem given to the mother-of-the-groom upon his wedding/shower....basic premise: funny accounting of how you the mother did all the work and the new bride " gets him" help please? Appreciate!

• Nik Cox (9/5/2013 3:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi all

I am looking for a poem/author i heard yesterday on radio 4 i think it was on womans hour but I'm not sure. The poem had the final line " from the father(dad?) I hardly knew(Know?) "
    I know its vague but I'm hoping someone else was listening to the poem and is familiar with the author

Thanks

Replies for this message:
    • Ryan Campbell (9/10/2013 3:33:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for the same poem - heard it when I was in the car and it's stuck in my head, and now I can't find it I've become obsessed! It was a northern writer, or possibly Midlands, with a working ... more

• Steve Smith (9/5/2013 7:59:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Good people. I have been searching for what I think is a Robert Frost poem for years! ! !
    Perhaps you could help me? All I recall are 2 things: First, I loved the short poem! ! !
    Second, it was about our brief lives and had some words like... we enter this world in
    the stars and we exit in trail of stars. I know this is about as vague as possible, right?
    Just wondered if it might be enough to reconnect me to the poem. Thanks, Sincerely, Steve

• Megan Mitchell (9/2/2013 5:05:00 PM) Post reply

Hey guys! So I took creative writing at NYU a few years ago and my prof had us read a poem that really stuck with me. The concept was about a husband looking back on a marriage and it did seem kind of sad/negative. He mentions what life has been like, kids, etc. The line length varied from short to medium length. The only clear line I can remember is " Why couldn't you have lost your virginity to me?" . In the version she printed out for us, there was a picture of a blue/green eye above the poem. Please help! ! ! ! !

Thanks y'all! ! !

• Mark Stephen (8/30/2013 5:12:00 PM) Post reply

The recent sad news about the death of seamus Heaney has reminded me of a poem read out by a distant relative at the funeral or my godfather and uncle in Ireland a couple of years ago. I've tried to google it and can't find it. No ideas who it's by and I feel it inappropriate to email and ask out of the blue. From what i remember the poem is about someone, possibly god speaking to people of different professions giving them advice. Each line starts with to the....he said. Eg to the poet he said..... Very moving at the time and I would love to discover the actual poem

Any help much appreciated

• Bob Scott (8/29/2013 9:08:00 AM) Post reply

Hi All

I'm looking for a poem I found some years back. All I can remember is some lines from it.

If you recognise then can you please contact me.

Through this frail glass have eyes a few
    Seen upon the grass a fairy dew.
    Or when even come with work well done
    A pumpkin moon pretend the sun.

Thanks in advance

Bob

[Hata Bildir]