Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Sue Casey (5/13/2005 11:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I should add It is called ' The Parable of Immortality'
    sorry I mispelled your name (Ellen)

• Ellen Heyn (5/12/2005 1:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Like many others I am seeking a poem for a memorial service. I have searched 114 poems of Henry VanDyke, the poet but cannot locate his beautiful allusion to a ship sailing away. The last line refers to the far shore and people there saying 'her she comes'. I think this is a commonly used poem on funeral bulletins.

Replies for this message:
    • Sue Casey (5/13/2005 11:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I just posted that poem under Niki Clarkes name, the other day. It was chosen by my sister for her funeral last year when she died of Ovarian cancer. I believe they use it as some kind of call to vi ... more

• Lucy Ellis (5/11/2005 5:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am looking for poems to use for Choral Speaking with primary students aged 10 and 11. Any ideas?

• Mary Ramey (10/11/2005 9:01:00 AM) Post reply Stage

'Night Esemble' by A.L.Breitling. It is all worked out for voices. I think 6 levels. Brilliant. I will contact the executors of her estate and see if they can post it here.

• Niki Clark (5/9/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I have a friend's funeral to attend tomorrow and I would really like to find a poem either to read or to put in a card. Can anyone suggest an alternative to the classic 'Stop all the clocks'...?

• Sue Casey (5/9/2005 4:33:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think this is quite lovely and filled with meaning: Parable of Immortality I am standing by the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for th ... more

• Mulady Walsh (5/8/2005 8:08:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hi, I am looking for poems/readings for my daughter's Naming Ceremony.. for my son's we read some of Gibran's The Prophet but I am really looking for something different this time. Any ideas or suggestions really appreciated. Thanks

• Janice Leavy (5/6/2005 1:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am looking for a poem titled: 'The Lanyard' by Billy Collins

• Eileen Smith (12/30/2005 3:11:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Janice, Are you the Janice Voelker from Holy Cross? I am looking for my old friend. If so, contact me. Thanks. Happy New Year.

• Britt Alkire (5/5/2005 5:42:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Of all the 90 poems by Mary Oliver, I cannot find 'The Gardens.' Does anyone have a copy and know which collection?

• Yasmine Hashem (5/4/2005 2:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i want an explanation to poem Hymn ON solitude by Jamed Thomson, , , i hope to fine a brief easy explantaion for an importatnt assignment, ,
    best regards

• Michele Lage (5/3/2005 8:51:00 AM) Post reply Stage

when my mother wad little she received a book full of stories and poems the book now has no cover and some of the pages a ruined. One of the poems started like this Pamela pig was always a mess her hair was uncombed her dress was a mess...Thats all i can remember has anyone ever heard of this before? I would apperciate any help anyone could give me. thanks

• Amanda Molnar (5/2/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I'm looking for a poem I learned in Jr. High School. Here is what I can remember.
    did you know that God above created you for me to love, he picked you out from all the rest because he knew i'd love you best. I had a heart and it was true but know it's gone from me to you, so take care of it as I have done for you have two and I have none. If you are not there of judgment day I'll know youve gone the other way. I give the angels back their wings, golden harps and other things. Just to show you what I'd do I'd even go to hell for you.
    I know this is not correct in all but it is what I can remember. Please help. Thanks.

[Hata Bildir]