Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Jenny W (7/17/2006 12:32:00 AM) Post reply

Hello to all. Please help me! ! ! I am looking for a poem by Emily Dickinson(maybe? ? ?) that goes something like this-'Poor creature-you flew far-but not so far as the forest......though time re-feather the wing and ankle slip the ring, the once confined thing is never again free' This is a poem I loved as a child. Please help me to find it. I have been searching for about two years now.

Thanks to all

Jenny

• Sam Gould (7/16/2006 7:19:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, I heard this poem by this Def Poet that came to my college this past school year. It was about this poor guy who wanted to look cool for his image so bad that he goes and kills someone for their Jordan's. It was very well written and the poet that read it out loud (he did not write it) said that this was the poem that inspired him to really write poetry. Horrible memory stops me from remembering the poet's name or the title of the poem that he read. If someone know what poem I am talking about please help me out, it's been killing me in the back of my head for a long time now, thanks.

• K Judd (7/12/2006 1:50:00 PM) Post reply

About 30 years ago my grandfather gave me a very small wrapped package. Attached to it was a poem, that said something to the effect of, this being a package that can't be opened, and being filled with love. My new puppy decided the poem was a good snack, and I have been trying to find it ever since. Does anyone happen to know what the poem is? Thank you!

• Jackie Logan (7/7/2006 5:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

My Grandfather recited a poem to me called 'My Old Ford' one of the verses is 'there's a rattle in the front and a grind in the rear'. Has anyone ever heard it before? I believe I am missing a verse or two. Thanks!

Replies for this message:
    • Jackie Logan (7/11/2006 5:56:00 PM) Post reply

Thank you so much Herbert! That is the one. My grandfather told it to me on his knee when I was a little girl. I don't think he even knew the enire poem. My family is going to love this! Thanks ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/11/2006 7:42:00 AM) Post reply

How about this: My Old Ford Of my old Ford they all make fun, They said she was born about 1901; Well, maybe she was, but this I'll bet, She's good for a many a long mile yet. ... more

• Petra Spies (7/7/2006 4:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for a poem/lyric. My greatgrandmother used to recite this and my grandmother needs it desperately. We don't have the name of the author or title or even a verse.

It's about the uprising of India against the British Raj. Words in the poem include Turban, Clap/Boom, Scottish.

Basically it's about the revolt against English occupation, the english gets attacked and massacred but before all hope is lost a woman (english I suppose) hears the Scottish band(?) marching to their rescue.

I've spent hours today and yesterday searching. I'm not even sure that it can be found on the web.

If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful.

Sincerely,
    Petra.

• Laura Burns (9/22/2007 7:39:00 PM) Post reply

You are getting this reply late, but the poem is 'The Siege of Lucknow' by John Greenleaf Whittier.

• Rookie - 0 Points Deann King (7/5/2006 9:30:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem entitled 'Horatio Speaks.' Can anyone help?

• Rookie - 0 Points Jayme Rempel (7/4/2006 6:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I was looking for a certain poem... dont know who its by or anything, I just know that its two lines, in the first line the words either bud or blossom are in it... then the second line is 'bloom to parish'.

Care to help me if you know the entire poem?

• Mark English (9/2/2006 11:21:00 AM) Post reply

The Gwen Stefani song 'What You Waiting For? ' includes the line 'Born to blossom, bloom to perish'. For the full lyrics see http: //www.seeklyrics.com/lyrics/Gwen-Stefani/What-You-Waiting-For.html

• Rookie - 0 Points Amy Warner (7/1/2006 8:59:00 PM) Post reply

Hey im looking for a poem on physical journeys can anyone help?

• Rookie - 0 Points Kyle Simmons (7/1/2006 10:16:00 AM) Post reply

I read this poem in a light blue hardcover anthology of some sorts while researching for a poetry recitation assignment last year. I don't know the poet and I don't know the title. All I know is that it mentioned remembering and love and either 52nd street or an avenue and a month ending in 'ember' (september or november i think) . I know the poem is definitely not September 1,1939 by W.H. Auden. The poem is from the 20th century. Sorry that's a vague description, but it's been driving me nuts for a year now!
    Thanks

• Rookie - 0 Points Bernard Carman (6/28/2006 6:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I don't recall the poet's name. The title is, 'Journey by Night - a Blind man's Prayer'. Each verse ends with the words, 'look down on us gently who journey by night'. Thanks for any help! ! !

• Paula Slaughter (10/18/2006 7:20:00 PM) Post reply

The author is Alfred Noyes (best known for 'The Highwayman') . I have the poem memorized, but have not found any internet sources for it yet. I found it years ago in a high school literature text bo ... more

[Hata Bildir]