Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rachel Geman (8/27/2006 10:41:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hi- I am a brand-new member. I have always been moved by a poem of Charles Bukowski's that had languuage that included the following, yet I can never find it on line - does anyone know it? Thanks in advance: 'Saroyan on his death bed said 'I thought I would never die'...I pictured myself forever, buying pasta...[[something about the cat on the windowsill]]...IN SPITE OF THE PUNCTUATING AGONIES, LIFE IS SUCH A GENTLE HABIT...'. - Rachel

• Darlenesharon Stone (8/26/2006 7:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

My father died August 7th of 2006 and now my mother will be preceding in his death with Cancer..I know of a poem I saw in 1985.I bought for a friend for a classmate that died, , the poem was on a card in a hallmark store, , it was 'withered rose...the sunshine to the window...the rose died and shrived up but wilted toward the sunshine..can anyone help?

• Jennifer Summerfield (8/26/2006 4:18:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Sorry my email address is jennifer.summerfield101@hotmail.co.uk

Many thanks.

• Jennifer Summerfield (8/26/2006 2:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

My cousin and I are looking for a poem which we think was written by Christina Rossetti but so far can't find it. It used to hang on our Grandmother's bedroom wall and we'd like to read at her funeral. It was something about changing the things we can change and recognising and accepting the things we can't and had a line in it that went something like 'God grant me the serenity...'

It's a long shot I know but if anyone knows what this poem might be and who it may be by I would be really grateful.

Many thanks.

Replies for this message:
    • Jem Peter (9/3/2006 8:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Is this the one you're thinking of? God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. Living one day a ... more

• Jessica Drillingcourt (8/26/2006 6:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

im looking for a poem called THE MESSAGE. Its a love poem. Please could you find it for me

• yactoo acton (8/20/2006 8:21:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Ive been reading poems by oliver goldsmith and know that he is a distant ancestor of mine but cannot trace any details about his family any one help to bring me up to present day

• Laura Johnston (8/19/2006 2:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm trying to track down a collection of poems my elderly grandmother loved as a teenager, it was entitled 'leaves from entre nous' by Marquis de leauville, one of the poems was called Twilight (anactoria?) - I may not have the details exactly right - I would be so grateful for any information that might help me.

• Mark English (9/2/2006 11:57:00 AM) Post reply Stage

'Entre-Nous', first published in 1877, was written by the Marquis de Leuville. 'A Few Leaves from Entre-Nous', which I take it was a selection from the first book, was only ever privately printed, so ... more

• Faith Shorney (8/14/2006 9:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

o, and my email is faithshorney@hotmail.com
    thanks again
    x faith

• Faith Shorney (8/14/2006 9:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

hey all
    have a few lines from a poem...dont have the rest.
    it goes: there's a green eyed yellow idol, to the north of katmandu, and a little marble cross beneath the town, where a broken harted woman tends the grave of mad karu, and a little god forever gazes down.
    really would love the rest of it. my grandmother once told it to me but that is all i remember of it...it was a long time ago. all help much appreciated.

• Laura Burns (10/2/2006 5:05:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Try 'The Green Eye of the Yellow God' by J. Milton Hayes.

• Graham Michell (8/13/2006 7:15:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hi All,
    I travel to Asia on business frequently and a few years ago in Borneo I had a remarkable conversation with a Chinese Malaysian guy regarding the differing ways in which westerners approach life and business as opposed to the 'Asian Way' as he called it.

He referred to a apparently quite famous poem which is titled something along the lines of 'the white and the Yellow man'. The subject matter goes along the lines of the white man hustling and bustling through life always in a rush while the yellow man takes it easy and never gets flustered.
    The end of the poem sees the yellow man standing over the white man's grave and saying something like 'here lies a foolish man'.

Can anyone tell me the name of this poem and it's Author

Please email me at graham@xcelconsulting.com

Cheers

Graham Michell

[Hata Bildir]