Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Jason Larsen (1/30/2007 6:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Something kind of like this... this one is good, maybe just a bit over the top... I'd like to have a few to choose from.

http: //www.poemhunter.com/poem/somewhere-in-time-a-child-s-abuse-is-the-lifely/

Good unconventional stuff.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Karl Stuart Kline (Human Rights) (2/20/2007 5:50:00 PM) Post reply

Hello, Jason... Take a look at my site, www.scaredsafe.org and you will see some very edgy material... Some of it was published in my book, Poison Pearls - some is only on that site and/or include ... more

• Rookie Jason Larsen (1/30/2007 5:51:00 PM) Post reply

As an assignment for my communications class, I need to recite a three minute poem. I'd like to find a poem by an author that would be unknown to most people, I guess you could say an 'amateur' poem. Something that takes about 3 minutes to recite, preferably something edgy, not riddled with swear words, but something most people might not feel comfortable reciting in a college class, I guess you could say something that is borderline acceptable for class.

It doesn't really matter what the poem is about or who the author is, but preferably modern, written in the last few years by someone who isn't a recognized or published poet. The only stipulation for the class is that it takes 3 minutes to recite, the other 'requirements' are just what I would prefer to find.

So, if anyone here can point me towards a poem on this site, I would appreciated it. I've looked around quite about myself, but haven't found what I'm looking for. You can either send me a message, reply to this post, or email me.

Thanks in advance, Jason.

• Rookie Derek Lodge (1/23/2007 12:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi. My names Derek. What a great site! Is there anyone out there able to help me find a poem that I learned at school over 55 years ago.
    'We nailed him there,
    Aloft between the thieves in the night air.
    The rabble and the readers mocked with oaths,
    The hangmans squad was dicing for his clothes...........' etc.
    I've always thought it was by John Masefield, but I have searched everywhere for years and have been unable to find it. Please, please if there's someone out there that knows anything about this poem, I'd be very very grateful. It would make an old man very happy. Thank you. Regards. Derek.

• Rookie Mark English (1/23/2007 12:47:00 PM) Post reply

That's Masefield all right. It's from his 'The Trial of Jesus' (1925) , but it doesn't seem to be available online and my copy is in storage, so I can't be more informative than that.

• Rookie Pamala Garl (1/23/2007 3:41:00 AM) Post reply

Im looking for poem I believe is by Bertolt Brecht that tells of an old woman who goes daily to the grocery-makes her selections-places them on counter-looks in her coin purse which is empty and then explains that she believes that if she does not continue to shop for food (that she cannot buy) people will think she does not need it-something to that effect-? ? ? thanks

• Rookie - 12 Points Yvonne Rautenbach (1/22/2007 5:20:00 PM) Post reply

Hello Iam Yvonne and I joined this week. This is one amazing well organised and truly addictive site.
    Can anyone tell me please the full poem by Spike Milligan which I think begins or ends with....'a cat is just a cat my friend and that my friend is that'
    I saw it once and could never find it again. Whilst not being a particular lover of cats I thought the poem was extremely funny and a work of true genius.

• Rookie Robert Yetter (1/21/2007 1:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Does anyone have knowledge of a poem on pirates from a Childcraft volume published in the forties, approximately, about 'the pirate don dirk of dowdee' or something like that. The set of books were the old orange hardcovers and were in my third grade classroom in 1970 at Sylvan Hills in North Little Rock Arkansas. I would greatly appreciate knowing the full title and author's name, as well as a copy of the poem if anyone posesses it. Thank you kindly.

• Rookie Mark English (1/23/2007 12:55:00 PM) Post reply

I'm sorry if there's any difficulty reaching the website, but since it's still online I can copy the full text of the poem: Ho, for the Pirate Don Durk of Dowdee! He was as wicked as wicked coul ... more

• Rookie Mark English (1/23/2007 12:51:00 PM) Post reply

It seems that the author was called Mildred Plew Meigs. You can find the poem at http: //inquiryunlimited.org/lit/poetry/piratedon.html

• Rookie Yvonne Rautenbach (1/23/2007 7:44:00 AM) Post reply

Dear Robert I tried the link given to you by the last poster but the article was not found on Explorer or Safari- did you find it? I did find a link about Captain Kidd of Dundee however and I wonde ... more

• Rookie Keanna Sanders (1/19/2007 6:36:00 PM) Post reply

there was this poetry book i had about ten years ago it was a small book about fifteen pages the book cover was yellow the same women wrote all the poems but i cant remember the title of not one of them all i remember is the first poem was about her baby and a line from it was a miraculous work of art then there was one in there about her mom and one about love and one about her sister is there anyone who knows the poets name or the poems

• Rookie Duncan Robertson (1/19/2007 8:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can anyone help me to find the Poem written by Will H Ogilvie which contains this verse.
    When you lay me down to slumber no spot you can choose
    But will ring to the rhythm of galloping shoes
    And under the daisies no grave be so deep
    But the hooves of the horses shall sound in my sleep
    Thanks for anybody's help

• Rookie Mark English (1/19/2007 12:38:00 PM) Post reply

I'd better not copy the whole poem since it's still in copyright, Ogilvie having died in 1963, but you can find it at http: //www.wylieww.com/hooves/hoovesofthehorses.htm

• Rookie Rose Eisenhower (1/17/2007 10:43:00 PM) Post reply

Hi I'm looking for a poem by Ranier Maria Rilke. It starts with the line 'In deep nights I dig for you like treasure', and I believe it is part of the 'Book of Hours' but there are 122 poems by this poet here on poemhunter and i was just wondering if anyone knew Rilke's work well enough to narrow my search. Thank you very much!
    ~rose

• Rookie Nick Pappas (1/16/2007 11:59:00 PM) Post reply

This one is quite a tough one...
    the last part of the last line is 'passion's sweet fire'... it's about an angel falling in love with a human and it's upsetting the balance between heaven and hell... i've only remembered that part of the poem... just looking to see if anyone else can help me find it. thanks!

[Hata Bildir]