Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Karen Willis (10/16/2006 4:05:00 PM) Post reply

I submitted a poem and now can't find it! I've had some emails giving some feedback about the poem, but referring to it as from an anonymous writer! Why can't I find it?

• Ben Evans (10/7/2006 1:03:00 PM) Post reply

Can anyone help me? I am looking for a poem called, I think, The Atheists Hymn.
    I can only remember the first verse which goes
    Lord, Lord, I don't believe in you,
    I only believe in me.
    I've never seen your miracles,
    Only your land and and sea.

It ends with something like
    ...I only want to make music,
    Which remiinds me of Thee.

Has anyone else ever heard of this one?

Ben

• Clare Squires (10/1/2006 7:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi - I'm urgently trying to track down a poem that was in a book I treasured as child (Rabbiting On by Kit Wright) - the poem was about 'my mum' or called something like that. If anyone has a copy and would be able to email me the lyrics I would be so so grateful (I want to send a copy of the poem to my mum for her 60th birthday and have just moved away so cannot access my copy of the book which is stored...hence wondering if anyone can help) . It would mean a lot to us both as it was a poem that we recited many a time when I was young and brought much laughter into our house as a family. Thanks. Clare

Replies for this message:
    • Mark English (10/2/2006 2:50:00 PM) Post reply

Could it be this? It's certainly by Kit Wright, but I'm not sure if it's from 'Rabbiting On'. Give Up Slimming, Mum My Mum Is short And plump And pretty And I wish She'd give up Sl ... more

• Gary Herald (9/30/2006 11:28:00 AM) Post reply

During WW1 a squad of soldiers passed the time when not been shot at by creating poems. In the 50's a grade school companion gave me this poem which had been handed down from his uncle who had been there. I remember about 90% and wonder if anyone else has ever heard this. Could it be that I'm the sole survivor of this poem? I feel the need to share. It was called 'The ravings of the Rumhound' I'll post what I remember as soon as I figure out how. (I'm new here)

• Bryan Freitas (9/24/2006 2:03:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem we had to read in school a few years back. All I remember is that it involved a guy going over to a girl's house (for a date I believe?) and he lays in a chair and stares at the ceiling and talks about the roses he sees in it. And talks about a lonely town or something.

It was relatively short, I remember I loved it at the time.

• Mike Adams (9/23/2006 11:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for 'The Wind is Calling Me Away' by Shel Silverstein but can't seem to find it anywhere. So, help in locating a copy would be great...thanks!
    Mike

• Mark English (9/24/2006 5:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I don't know if this is the one you're looking for: Strange Wind What a strange wind it was today, Whistlin' and whirlin' and scurlin' away Like a worried old woman with so much to say. Wha ... more

• Deb Johnson (9/23/2006 2:11:00 PM) Post reply

My mother-in-law loves this poem and has carried it with her forever. I would like to find the author and would like to know if anyone has heard of this. It goes: Music is a tonic for the tired and weary mind, Tis comfort for the lonely and pictures for the blind, Tis sympathy and laughter, Tis hope and faith and prayer, Tis kindness in its brightest dress, and Tis welcome everywhere. Thank you for your help!

• Brandi Tuschel (9/17/2006 11:53:00 PM) Post reply

To Cassandra, Is this the poem u were talking about: I went to a birthday party but I remembered what u said. U told me not to drink and drive at all, so I had a sprite instead. I felt so proud of myself the way u said I would, That I didn't choose to drink and drive though most of my friends said I should. I knew I made a healthy choice and your advice to me was right as the party finally ended and the kids drove out of sight. I got into my own car sure to get home in one piece, never knowing what was coming something that i expected least. Now lying on the pavement. I can hear the policemen say, 'That kid that caused the wreck was drinking.' His voice seemed so far away. My own blood is all around me, as I try hard not to cry. I can hear the paramedic say, 'This girl is gonna die.' I'm sure the guy had no idea while he was flying high because he chose to drink and drive that I would have to die. So why do people do it. knowing that it ruins lives? But now the pain is cutting me like a hundred stabbing knives. Tell my sister not to be afraid, and tell daddy to be brave, and when I go to heaven to put 'Daddy's Girl' on my grave. Someone should have taught him that it's wrong to drink and drive. Maybe if his mom and dad had I would still be alive. My breath is getting shorter and I'm really scared. These are my final moments and I'm so unprepared. I wish that you could just hold me mom as I lie here and die..I wish that I could say goodbye and I LOVE U.....

• Alice Holland (9/15/2006 8:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello, I'm looking for a poem of sorts. It goes something like;

'only 1 in 10 people can read
    .. children survive their first birthday
    .. etc etc'

and then at the end it has something similiar to;

'if you are one of these people, you are very lucky'
    it's all about being grateful

Thanks for any responses!

• Louisa Bezaire (9/14/2006 4:20:00 PM) Post reply

I am trying to find a poem by Emily Dickinson. It contains the words...Hold dear to your parents, it is a scary place without them.

Thanks for any help you can send

Louisa

[Hata Bildir]