Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Mathew Whitaker (4/19/2014 1:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Please can anyone help me I am desperate to find the poem 'If you push a button' by Takagi Kyozo, I cannot find it anywhere on the internet, the only reference I can find is that it is in a collection of poems by the author in a book called 'How to Cook Women' published in 1998, the book however cannot be purchased anywhere! I have been trying to find this for days and I really need it for my coursework for my GCSE Drama exam.

If anyone can help me I would be so grateful.

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (4/19/2014 7:32:00 PM) Post reply

Have you tried going to the worldcat web page?The book is in several libraries in the U.K.

• Maggie Mcmillan (4/12/2014 6:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Heard a poem in primary school back in the 60's and am/was enchanted by the rhythm of it. Opening lines,
    " The road was a ribbon of moonlight
    Beneath the jewelled.... (sky?)
    And the highwayman came, riding, riding, riding........." and that's as far as I get.

Does anyone know the poem?

• Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (4/12/2014 8:30:00 PM) Post reply

Yes, it is " The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. You can find it on this site.

• Dominik Presl (4/8/2014 4:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi,
    so I have this poem that I have heard once and I need to find it again. However, I don't remeber any lines from it. What I do know, is that the author was Russian and some well known Russian who wrote both poetry and prose. The poem described a certain moment - meeting a girl in winter night in countryside, and it was mostly describing how the snowflakes were melting on the girl's hair and face and how beatiful she was and so on...Unfortunately, thats all I can remember. But it should be quite famous one, so I hope it'll be enough.
    Thanks for your advice, all replies appreciated ;)

• Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (4/8/2014 4:33:00 PM) Post reply

Possibly you are thinking of " Meeting" by Boris Pasternak.

• Leslie Gentry (4/3/2014 1:26:00 AM) Post reply

Hi,
    I've been searching for a poem I copied many years ago and then lost. I believe it was in either McCall's or Ladies Home Journal sometime in 1965, or possibly the first of 1966. I'm sorry that I don't remember the title or the author, but I recall several of the lines or a close approximation-
    " Not like the fierce wisteria or the trumpet vine,
    I will not clutch nor choke nor subtly twine
    Nor seek to kill your quickness...
    " The honeysuckle(?) welcomes the thrust of the hummingbird and sets no honeyed traps
    The far cry heard is freely given back from the echoing hollow..."
    and the last line: " Remember me as a scarlet leaf that stops the heart for a moment but brings no grief"

I sent that poem to my then fiance sometime between Jan and April of 1966, so it's been awhile!

• Drew Ken (3/30/2014 6:06:00 PM) Post reply

Hi,
    I am looking for a poem my dad read as a kid and told me about recently. He said that it is about arriving at Heaven's gate and how you should be all roughed up from life rather than looking perfect, because the roughed up person actually lived life to the fullest and did what he wanted, while the perfect looking people never did what they wanted in fear of getting roughed up. Of course this is just a paraphrase of my dad's paraphrase, so it is probably quite a bit different but the message should be similar. Thanks!

• Dennis Beauchamp (3/28/2014 2:48:00 PM) Post reply

Searching desperately for Mom Poem, this is the line I remember clearest: " but I must realize that is the great teacher of character. It’s not me… I’m not the teacher"

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (3/28/2014 2:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am trying to know and read the poems of world poets in the early history of poem in different world languages that have translated to English which only can I understand. The most earlier history of poem in English language is also an interesting subject and will be welcomed to see and read it. Though hundreds of poems are easily readable now the earlier poems of Arabic, latin, Greek, Sanskrit like old literatures are not forthcoming in the net works easily and those are so much interested to read. What about the poems available in Hebrew, Arabic, russian like languages are also to be welcomed to read and understand.

• Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (3/28/2014 4:18:00 PM) Post reply

The Academy for Ancient Texts has a web site you might find interesting.

• Ben Morris Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (3/27/2014 1:23:00 AM) Post reply

Hello. I'm trying to find a poem I read a few years ago but unfortunately I remember very little about it so it might be a bit of a forlorn hope. All I remember is that it was written from a single man's point of view looking at another man and a woman as a couple. And it goes on to describe the woman in glowing terms, and belittles the man, and says how she's surely out of his league, but then finishes off by questioning whether the author is just placing too much value on the woman and not enough on the man. It must have been in some poem anthology, and I get the impression it was a reasonably modern poem, but beyond that I'm really stuck where to look. Hopefully there's someone out there who this might ring some bells with. Thanks!

• Steve Fitzpatrick Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (3/17/2014 5:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hello I am looking for a Poem/Limerick I had sent to me Via an old Birthday card.

Forgive the spelling it was a long time ago.
    It was by Pete Shanderputt?
    About golf all I can remember of it was the First and last lines which went " Golf is a game of frustration" & " And the balls are allergic to holes"
    Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Steve

• Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (3/17/2014 11:01:00 AM) Post reply

Sorry I do not have the second line, but the end of the limerick goes: They stand and they swing, The clubs do their own thing, And the balls are allergic to holes.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Bob Smith Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (3/16/2014 10:25:00 PM) Post reply

Hello, I need help finding a poem, I believe it is by Pablo Neruda and goes something like:

One, i love this about you
    Two,
    Three,
    Four, why do we count so high
    Five,

[Hata Bildir]