Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

• Silver Star - 8,859 Points Mohammad Skati (10/22/2014 5:12:00 PM) Post reply

Is there any poem about a sailor who lost his boat away?I need some help. Thanks.

• Rookie - 0 Points Tom Mitchell (10/20/2014 9:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey. Does anyone on here know of any poems written about the British Empire or any of its individual colonies between around 1830 and 1870?Thanks.

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (10/23/2014 9:23:00 AM) Post reply

Samuel Rogers's " Written in 1834" is one. You can find it on this site.

• Bronze Star - 6,361 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/18/2014 9:59:00 AM) Post reply

I am interested in world classic poems even if they are older. The great Italian Poet Dante's Divine comedy is one among them. I likes to read the portions in such enthusiasm and pride in reading classic poems as a poem lover. It is also felt to read the reviews of the poems of classic to understand it well.

• Veteran Poet - 4,344 Points Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black (10/14/2014 3:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for a poem which I read several years ago...some of the lines are: The night has a thousand eyes, the day but one...there's more to this poem and I believe that a lyrical poet named May Delano Rogers wrote it but I can't find any of her poems either.She used to get her poems published in the poetry magazine The Lyricist..

• Laura Burns (10/21/2014 3:14:00 PM) Post reply

" The Night Has a Thousand Eyes" is by the Victorian poet Francis William Bourdillon. You can find it on the Poemhunter site.

• Rookie - 5 Points Glen Dony (10/12/2014 11:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem " Forever Falling" by Janna Hill. I know she is an American poet.

• Jeffrey Jackson (10/13/2014 1:56:00 AM) Post reply

Her personal Email is mail@jannahill.net - go ask her which of her books it's in - Jeff Jackson

• Rookie - 11 Points Jeffrey Jackson (10/12/2014 4:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I am searching for a poem written during the first world war The poet, while on leave, went for a country walk and saw an elderly man ploughing a field with a horse. A large tree had fallen into the field and the ploughman had to plough around it. The poet held a conversation with the farmer and was told that all the young men of the village had gone to war so there was no one left to remove the tree. He went on to explain that the field should have been ploughed a month before and the crop should already be growing and that many from the village would not return to see it harvested. Shortly after this the poet died on the battlefield. any help would be appreciated,
    Jeff Jackson

• Silver Star - 8,859 Points Mohammad Skati (10/11/2014 12:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for any poem that praises Christopher Columbus or any poem about him. Thanks.

• Laura Burns (10/20/2014 9:20:00 PM) Post reply

COLUMBUS by Joaquin Miller Behind him lay the gray Azores, Behind the Gates of Hercules; Before him not the ghost of shores, Before him only shoreless seas. The good mat ... more

• Rookie - 5 Points Buckley Cathy (10/9/2014 1:47:00 PM) Post reply

Please help,
    I've a few lines from a poem I am keen to source;

" I watched her clip their wings one day,
    she said she'd keep them safe that way" .....
    " And in the night I heard the cry,
    Of wild swans soaring through the sky" ..

and that's all I can recall. Any ideas?

• Rookie - 6 Points Marie Wray (10/9/2014 1:15:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem we use to say at school when I was about 12 years old, I can remember some of it there is a couple of last lines I cannot remember it goes like this. Butterflies, Butterflies flying high, flying low spread your wings and fly away, come back another day, wings of gold, wings of blue, straight from heaven swift you blew. Then the last two lines I have forgotten, if anyone can tell me please I would be most grateful, marie

• Rookie - 0 Points Lynne Davy (10/8/2014 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for two poems.

In the first, the poet is remarking on how to a fly (I think that is the creature, but may be wrong) , his own awareness of the world is a vast to him as ours is to us.

In the second, the poet is considering how gently the mother bat cares for her young, how soft her fur, how beautiful she is...it's been decades.

If anyone can lead me to either of these poems, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Lynne

• Laura Burns (10/8/2014 8:53:00 PM) Post reply

Here is one: The Bat Poet By Randall Jarrell A bat is born Naked and blind and pale His mother makes a pocket of her tail And catches him. He clings to her long fur By his thumbs and toes ... more

[Hata Bildir]