Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Penky Yumnam Penky Yumnam Male, 18, India (10/4/2013 8:40:00 AM)

i m not an official poet but I want to be a poet. help me

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Steven Ralph Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2013 10:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

No! ! Don't read other poetry. Do you want to compromise your innate genius? You should consider other poets as complete asses. Do your own thing! Other poets will destroy your creativity. Other poets are sh*t! Well, let's say 'manure', shall we?Be poetic about it. Okay, here's a poet's mind at work. " Other poets are poo" Better. Much better. Other 'good contemporary poets' are very sucky. The only reason to read them is to learn from their many mistakes. They are mostly boring. You won't be able to understand a word they're saying, and 90 % of poets " swing the other way" You get my drift?My advise is to don't read at all. Nothing. Just write anything that you please. It will be fantastic, trust me.

Replies for this message:
    • John Thorne (10/15/2013 11:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

And if everyone follows your advice there will never be another good line of poetry written ever again. To write good poetry, one must consider what makes the great poets great. The secret is to be ab ... more

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (10/8/2013 9:54:00 AM) Post reply

First read good poets (classic and conntemporary) than go for writing...

[Hata Bildir]