Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Roger Horsch Roger Horsch Male, 50, United States (5/12/2013 11:49:00 PM)

Hello everyone, Here is some information that could help a lot of poets
To make your poems great you must always make sure that they have good flow. What I mean by flow is. Picture in your mind how water flows smoothly downward and over rounded obstacles. The flow seems to be uninhibited and everything flows together smoothly. But if there is an obstacle such as a sharp rock or a tree branch in the water it can cause ripples thus causing the water not to flow smoothly. The difference between good, very good or great can be nothing else but the flow of your poem. Always go over your poems over and over again changing what is necessary to make them flow. Always remember that if your poems motivate you and they are drawn from your emotions and your heart to the point that you can feel them. And they have good flow. You will always have the best.

Keep writting and I invite all to read my poems to see what I mean about the flow of a poem. Roger Hoesch

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (7/20/2013 11:56:00 PM) Post reply

Your views regarding FLOW (form) is much appreciable..... and i would like to add something that will turn this flow into a paragliding....flow is much better but if your thoughts glide then fancy the effect....

Accomplished writers respect the rules of grammar the way an Acrobat respects the tightrope — grammar might be intimidating and complicated, but we need it in order to perform.
    Grammar rules lend structure and clarity to our writing and gives us common ground rules that we can use to communicate clearly and effectively, just like the tightrope gives the acrobat a foundation upon which to walk.
    Many poets demonstrate grammatical expertise, neatly parking periods and commas in their designated spaces and paying homage to proper capitalization.

Writing Poetry Without Grammar Rules..............

Poets don’t always follow the rules, which is why poetry is attractive to writers who are especially creative, rebellious, and enjoy coloring outside the lines.
    Grammar rules, particularly spelling and punctuation, are nothing more than a creative tool for many poets who choose to dismiss these rules altogether or use the them to decorate and add aesthetic elements to a poem.
    Many poets have skirted grammar with great success. Many more have failed.

Poetry Writing:
    Where Rules and Creativity Cooperate or Collide............

As the poetry canon grows beyond measure, poets increasingly reach for creative devices to make their work stand out.
    Toying with grammar rules is one such device, but it is not something that can be approached carelessly. If you choose to forgo the rules because you don’t know them rather than as a creative technique, your lack of knowledge will show and the poem will present as amateurish. Of course, that’s true for all types of writing: learn the rules, and only after you have learned them, go ahead and break them.
    I salute anyone who breaks the rules in the interest of art and great poetry writing just as much as I admire poets who craft meter and verse within the confines of grammar. So for this language-loving poet, either way is the right way. Walk the tight rope or jump from it and see if you can fly.

• James Kastner Rookie - 1st Stage (5/25/2013 7:46:00 AM) Post reply

Depending on the tone of the poem and the theme and subject matter, sometimes you want an easy, natural flow without enjambed lines. However, other times you may want those tree branches, sharp rocks and even spillways because of drama, suspense, unease (for example) the poem seems to call for due to its tone in relation to its subject matter and theme. Sometimes unexpected, syntactically " wrong" line breaks can be used to emphasize words or phrases. My only point is that form should follow function and seem appropriate for trhat poem. In a very general sense, you are right, I think, if you mean that the form should add to the meaning and tone.

• Myla Rose Gigante Rookie - 1st Stage (5/16/2013 1:38:00 AM) Post reply

definitely.. thanks for that! :)

• Myla Rose Gigante Rookie - 1st Stage (5/16/2013 1:35:00 AM) Post reply

definitely... thanks for that! ! ^_^

• Donnaj York Rookie - 1st Stage (5/15/2013 11:20:00 PM) Post reply

Just as some " singers" are tone-deaf, are some " poets" flow-dumb?

• Greg Davidson Rookie - 1st Stage (5/13/2013 7:25:00 PM) Post reply

Such very good advice. How often do we sacrifice flow for rhyme only to make the poem more difficult to read and less easy in its conveying of images.

[Hata Bildir]