Learn More

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Fatma Ballaswud Fatma Ballaswud Female, 23, Yemen (2/27/2013 11:17:00 AM)

So, my question is...sometimes when I write a poem, I just lose my aim and message. And I begin to drift here and there, paint images and then...the closing line! I feel that my it often holds no obvious theme, it's rather a chaos of metaphors and emotions. What should I do to avoid being distracted while writing?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 49 Points Greg Davidson (3/3/2013 2:20:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Never be happy with a first draft. Pu it away and return to it in a few days, few weeks or few months. [One of mine stayed in my head for 10 years before order prevailed]
    Treat it like a fine gem - cut it, polish it until all the facets sparkle.

• Rookie Snehil Kaushik (3/3/2013 1:18:00 AM) Post reply

its obvious.. you should read it again and again after writing each stanza and omit the distracted part...

• Rookie Donnaj York (3/1/2013 8:13:00 PM) Post reply

I have had a lot of turmoil in my life recently and haven't been able to write a thing. But inspiration will hit me again.

• Rookie Titi Dale (2/28/2013 12:53:00 AM) Post reply

Emotions are just things that slow or cease our perception :) are you often in noisy areas when writing?Or have things been happening in your daily life that your mind can't stop floating to?Try to clear your mind and think of a situation you have been in that is also the subject of your poem. Then let your mind run free!

[Hata Bildir]