Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Poetry Hound Male, 60, United States (10/9/2005 8:59:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

I disagree with Tony. When you're feeling a strong emotion, it's a bad time to write a poem. You can jot some notes down or do a first draft, but then you should wait until the emotion is not as strong so that you can use your intelligence to structure the poem. This is particularly true when it comes to romantic break-ups. There are a bazillion emotion-laden poems about that subject, and they're all pretty much the same. Find new topics to write on, or find an unusual viewpoint on a topic (it doesn't even have to be your own viewpoint) , and the Number One most important rule is: Avoid cliches at all costs. It's actually hard to do because we use so many cliches in our everyday speech. But you really have to scrub them out of your poems. The second most important rule is avoid adjectives, or at least don't use too many. They tend to bog down a poem and they end up being a lazy way to describe something. Instead of using an adjective, come up with a poetic image. For example, instead of saying the used match was blackened and shriveled, you could say the used match was a dead priest. Just an example, but you see what I'm getting at, I hope. Regards.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Tony Jennett (10/10/2005 4:14:00 AM) Post reply

Hey Hound! It all depends on how you define 'time to write a poem' I do exactly what you suggest - Jot down - expand - revise. I'm a great revision. But I still say the time to start is when you feel most strongly

[Hata Bildir]