Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Harshit Agarwal (3/4/2013 4:02:00 AM) Post reply

http://harshitladdoo.blogspot.in/
    This is my blog. Can I get any feedback for these poems.

• Snehil Kaushik (3/3/2013 1:15:00 AM) Post reply

imagination is other thing, but writing something which is happening around you is always fun. and its very nice....

• Fatma Ballaswud (2/27/2013 11:17:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

So, my question is...sometimes when I write a poem, I just lose my aim and message. And I begin to drift here and there, paint images and then...the closing line! I feel that my it often holds no obvious theme, it's rather a chaos of metaphors and emotions. What should I do to avoid being distracted while writing?

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 1st Stage Greg Davidson (3/3/2013 2:20:00 PM) Post reply

Never be happy with a first draft. Pu it away and return to it in a few days, few weeks or few months. [One of mine stayed in my head for 10 years before order prevailed] Treat it like a fine gem - ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Snehil Kaushik (3/3/2013 1:18:00 AM) Post reply

its obvious.. you should read it again and again after writing each stanza and omit the distracted part...

• Rookie - 1st Stage Donnaj York (3/1/2013 8:13:00 PM) Post reply

I have had a lot of turmoil in my life recently and haven't been able to write a thing. But inspiration will hit me again.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Titi Dale (2/28/2013 12:53:00 AM) Post reply

Emotions are just things that slow or ce ... more

• Manisha Khandelwal (2/26/2013 9:36:00 PM) Post reply

IMPORTANCE OF TIME
    MANA WQAT NE KUCH KARAMAT TO DIKHYI,
    PER AB VO MAZA KAHA JO NADANIYO ME THA,

• Josy Chow (2/24/2013 5:42:00 AM) Post reply

To my Heaven

Pink blossom trees
    With boat sailing down the river
    Singing with my charming thee
    no matter whatever
    Living with endless glee!

Lighting thunder?
    Just the beats for dancing free!
    Raining pour?
    Just brewing your sweet tea!
    no matter whatever
    Be worry-free!

My heavy luggage
    Please go away!
    Don’t block my way
    For my happy sleigh!

Oh! My Dreaming heavenly world
    Where are you?
    You are so far, far
    far away…

Take me to my perfect heaven
    Where Pink blossom trees
    With boat sailing down the river
    Singing with my charming thee
    no matter whatever
    Living with endless glee!

This is a poem I recently write to express my feeling.
    Please give me some comments after read it, thx ;)

• Titi Dale (2/23/2013 4:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I find that writing poetry that rhymes is easier for me than poems that don't :) many people say that they find non-rhyming poems too easy. I just find them more popular: I mean, look at all the famous poets: Maya Angelou, Shakespeare, Robert Frost- many of their poems are popular and remembered because of the rhyming. But that is what I think, what are the opinions of others?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Fatma Ballaswud (2/27/2013 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

I agree with what u had said Titi Dale. A poet needs to have a sense of rhythm and flow. Yet, not all poems rhyme, and not all rhymes are poetry. It's an art that not all poets can master. But non-rhy ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Aisha Alansari (2/20/2013 10:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Poetry is a way to express your feelings.Therefore, when you feel something and you want to get it out just write a poem.However, if you don't know just get a paper and right down what you feel and try to compare it to something to make it more creative.For instance, " seeing you like that was like drowning deep down in the ocean..where I can't breath" (example of you seeing something bad happening to someone you love) .After you finish writting what you feel, try to rearrange it, see which line should be first, try to put them into paragraphs(each paragraph is about something a little bit different than other paragraphs but still about the same subject) Finally, if you did these steps you can change some words put rhymes to make it sound even better.

~Aisha Alansari

• Rookie - 1st Stage William Chaplar (2/18/2013 11:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

The poet/philosopher G.K. Chesterton once said that “If we were real enough we should all talk in rhyme.” Chesterton believed that rhyming is one of our first pleasures, learned in the nursery where all important things are learned. This is certainly something to take into consideration whenever one is discussing poetry.
    While 19th century poets like Kipling and Tennyson were the rock stars of their day, poets today are more often than not unknown entities, and poetry has essentially become a lost art. This may be due in part to the fact that the contemporary definition of poetry no longer includes words like rhythm, rhyme, and meter. Today, a poem is little more than poorly punctuated prose that is centered on the page. And sometimes it’s not even centered!
    But how many of us have staples like Kipling’s “If” or Tennyson’s “Charge of the Light Brigade” permanently etched into our memories?(Or, for those who enjoy more contemporary verse, “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost?) If you are one of the many who has memorized one classic piece of poetry or another, you might want to ask yourself how long that poem would have stuck with you if it didn’t rhyme.
    Like Chesterton, I believe the world would be a nicer place if, like a Dr. Seuss cartoon, everyone spoke in rhyme. While I’m unable to do so in my own day-to-day discourse, I have done so with all of the poetry I’ve written. Those looking for the rhythm-less, meter-less prose considered by the literary elite to be poetry probably won’t like anything I’ve written.
    If, however, you number yourself among of the silent majority that considers Clement Clarke Moore’s timeless verse about Saint Nick to be real poetry, then the things I’ve posted may be right up your alley. For, while I would never be so pretentious as to compare myself to iconic bards like Kipling, Tennyson, Moore, Frost (or even Dr. Seuss!) , I have been told that I have a penchant for the rhyming art. Unlike so many other contemporary rhymers, who feel that hip hop music is the only place for a serious rhymer, I have chosen to ply my craft in a more traditional way.

• Rookie - 1st Stage James Urwin (2/19/2013 1:25:00 AM) Post reply

I agree with your post...Rhyme is what makes a poem work for me...All the poems that dont rhyme (well, say 99%) to me are just easy...even cheating as the effort is half of a poem that rhymes... anot ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Donnaj York (2/18/2013 9:02:00 PM) Post reply

Somewhat different topic, but after seeing the Movie " Les Mis" on Christmas Day, I told my daughter and granddaughters that we should spend a day, (preferably out shopping and having lunch ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Theresa Haffner (2/14/2013 9:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is a terribly disorganized forum. There is no moderator or director, so everybody just posts anything everywhere. This section is for comments about writing poetry. Techniques. Tips. Technical things. Advice. Yet I see complete texts of poems here and appeals to comment on poetry when there is a clearly marked section for critiques. I see rhymed poetry posted in the free form workshop. Without a monitor to straighten this out, , it's like the forum overgrown with weeds. It makes everyone look like simpletons or rank amateurs, and it takes the fun out of it for people who are interested in a mature poetic discussion. The only solution to this is please THIMK what you are posting and where you are posting it. For all of us. Thank you.

• Rookie - 1st Stage James Urwin (2/17/2013 11:48:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well said....Shame it wont make a bit of difference tho...I have only been on this site for a few months and just lately instead of frustration, I now find humour here....How can you not laugh at the ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Eyo Justice Ellis (2/13/2013 6:24:00 PM) Post reply

Hello beautiful people! I just updated my profile on poem hunter and added some poems to my profile. Please read, like, and comment on my poems. you could also send me messages and share your poems with me. it would a great pleasure reading, and writing poetry with you.

[Hata Bildir]