Learn More

Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Rookie - 18 Points Suman Kumar Das (4/19/2014 10:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Four Curses

To weep
    Are needed two eyes,
    Need also tears.
    But the ones without eyes!
    How they shed tears?
    May those salty drops
    Brim in all their hearts,
    To a size of seven seas
    Of this super creation.

To speak
    Are needed few words,
    Need also voice.
    But the ones without voice!
    How they talk words?
    May those unsaid sounds
    Inside their hollow hearts
    Echo million times
    As thunders crash in the sky.

To walk
    Are needed two limbs
    Need also destination.
    But the ones without limbs!
    How they stride across the way?
    May those longing steps
    Trek mile after mile every night,
    Like the orbit around the sun,
    Revolve the planets in the galaxy.

To listen
    Are needed two ears
    Need also mind.
    But the ones without ears!
    How they hear people?
    May those unheard strains
    Within their mute minds
    Join torn strings of lives’ guitar
    To play songs like musicians.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 18 Points Herbert Guitang (4/26/2014 5:26:00 AM) Post reply

Great in balance of stanzas and balance of sylabications

• Rookie - 18 Points Cleveland Gibson (4/23/2014 7:00:00 AM) Post reply

I thought you handled the four curses well. Until, oh heck I thought of a fifth one: To Sleep. I can only guess it is a good thing when we wake up we've forgotten all our dreams, and the dreaded nig ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points K.C Colt (4/11/2014 1:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I've been writing poetry for a many years and each time it gets challenging more and more.

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Isaiah Rodrigues (4/10/2014 8:00:00 AM) Post reply

when I'm around you everything wrong felt so right
    even in my arms i held you in spite
    our differences wanted to make you my miss
    now all I see is dusted and fake kisses

• Veteran Poet - 4,340 Points Daniel Brick (4/8/2014 11:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

The 19th century English poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge write several definitions of poetry. ONE of them (I'm paraphrasing) " the best words in the best order." Great! But that gives a very important task to fulfill, namely, to find the BEST words. You have to sift through your vocabulary, check a dict'y or thesaurus, write a draft and look it over and MAKE CHANGES that improve the expression. That's what writing poetry is all about. The notion that poetry is an inspired spontaneous flow of words that spills on to the page and spills some more and some more - that's writing a diary or journal, which is preliminary writing to poetry writing. It's actually very helpful as one of my poetry teachers, Michael Dennis Browne, told the class. Why?Because you empty all the junk in the front of your mind onto paper, get rid of it, so your truest, deepest thoughts can arise. Try it. You'll be amazed at this process. Eventually, you won't have to spend as much time EMPTYING your mind and you will get to the good stuff much faster. Also, if poetry is indeed the BEST WORDS, you don't need to write 40 lines,50 lines, _____lines, you fill in the blank. A poem is meant to be compressed. It a bundle of energy waiting to explode! Trust your readers' imaginations to be launched into visionary space by the explosion you set off. How can they soar imaginatively if your poem goes on and on and on. There was a modern Latin American poet who wrote one poem a week for many years. On Sunday she wrote a draft of the week's poem on a blackboard, then for each day Mon. through Sat. she erased some of it, everyday the draft got smaller, leaner, more compressed. By the next Sun. she had a diamond-poem!

• Veteran Poet - 4,340 Points * Sunprincess * (4/27/2014 2:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

...............an amazing write...you write the best comments on poems and writing poetry...I can always learn something when I read your comments...have a wonderful day..

• Veteran Poet - 4,340 Points Richard Blay (4/9/2014 3:16:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with you Dan... my opinion about poem is..., turn a whole book into one page, then, turn the one page into a paragraph, then, turn the paragraph into a sentence, and if possible, turn that sen ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Veteran Poet - 4,340 Points Daniel Brick (4/8/2014 11:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

First things first! I want to add my appeal to those who have already written this forum is about poetry, it's not poems. Publish those at your site. Here we discuss the process of writing poems, so that we become better poets. I've been involved with POEMHUNTER since last Oct. I've published just over 33 poems in that time which I consider a lot! They have all gone through extensive revision, which is ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. I have often been importuned to read poems by the poet himself or herself. Well, well, except in a very few occasions I have waited patiently - what other kind of waiting is there?- for people to discover my poems. And they do. Steadily but slowly. Here's a suggestion - first, a warning: Too often I read at my Poems Site a comment like this: NICE POEMS. I LIKE THEM. READ MINE AND GIVE ME COMMENTS. Well, to be perfectly, bluntly honest, that kind of statement does not encourage me to read said poet's poems. You squeeze out 5 words about my sincere efforts and then expect me to read and comment on YOURS! The first time you read someone's poems, just stay in that reading/appreciation frame of mind. Show by your comments you have REALLY, HONESTLY read them. Let the poet for whom you are expressing appreciation discover your poems. Don't ask them!

• Veteran Poet - 4,340 Points Paul Butters (5/26/2014 5:57:00 PM) Post reply

Daniel I have just happened upon this and totally agree. Very irritating, " Please read mine now I've read yours." Urggh. Yes it's spamming or even begging, and very prevalent on this site. ... more

• Rookie Richard Blay (4/8/2014 11:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Let the boy in you write first, then the man in you can edit later.

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Michael Hylton (4/7/2014 6:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

It's funny! But I've been searching through the forums on this site, everywhere I look all I find is people posting their own poems. Is not the purpose of these forums to discuss ways and techniques in writing poems?Is not the purpose to create ideas on how to write?If so, then where are the discussions, where are the techniques and ideas. I have not found any advice, techniques or ideas on writing. Maybe it’s just me.

• Rookie Richard Blay (4/8/2014 11:44:00 AM) Post reply

I really agree with you. I think people are struggling to be noticed... the purpose of this forum is not met.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Rookie - 101 Points Kolade Seun (3/28/2014 7:40:00 PM) Post reply

Dear readers, below is a poem meant to lament the disaster involved in a war or similar experience. The victims of war are not its only casualities, 'they are well out of it'... But we that remain behind to mourn these losses are the main casualities... We should avoid any cause for a violent process and embrace dialogue wherever we find ourselves...

'Aftermath'

Its weird only when its a cry;
    Its mild and a norm to be without a fright;
    cataclysmic experiences bury forever plight;
    Unexpected predicaments to contend with all the remain might;
    weirdness conceived...

Sojourn in the land of fear;
    Cheap commodities of fright for sale;
    what a journey to embark on by this new itinerant!
    Lucid variations of harmonious feeling of fear;
    pale pedestrians sail in their pairs...

A new life of charade for the fear of fear;
    recurring encasulation of the reason for the tear;
    the fear to play;
    even to pray;
    All squadron withdraw, retreat and hide with personalities of lesser fear;
    still, no not one, that is not borne with this same fear.

Critical critics are welcomed. For other lines of my thoughts, kindly check out this link: http://www.poemhunter.com/kolade-seun

• Rookie Trynian Aiuyer (3/27/2014 11:25:00 PM) Post reply

I like the feel of it!

• Rookie Richard Blay (3/27/2014 3:01:00 PM) Post reply

Has your mistakes given you any new idea(s) , well, consider them carefully before you discard them.

[Hata Bildir]