Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Esterina Matsaba (7/12/2014 11:56:00 AM) Post reply

with all due respect. I would like to greet you all. I am new here in poem hunter and I don't know where I can post my poems/ publish my poems. can anyone please tell me how I can publish and manage my own poems.

• X. L. Woo (7/10/2014 9:43:00 AM) Post reply

H2O

When the scorching sun's high at noon,
    I run from here to there,
    From east to west, north to south,
    Through the fields, over the ditches,
    Up the slope, over the summit,
    Down the hill, to the valley,
    Into the woods, through the glade,
    Not in search of ores, nor of gems,
    Neither of buried treasures,
    Which everyone seeks,
    But of the element- H2O;
    Not to quench my thirst,
    Nor to wash my hands or face,
    But to water a withering rose,
    Lonely and deserted in a nook.

• Daniel Y. (7/9/2014 6:45:00 PM) Post reply

O, How Lovely

Lately I've been interested in rhyming with vowel sounds (assonance) , and only similar consonants. Like passed and crash. They can approximate each other's sounds. I've done a little exploring with syllabic, imperfect, weak rhymes, and half rhymes. There's something almost more elegant; perfect rhymes are overused and stereotypically reserved for childrens poems. This is also unfortunate because of the beauty and impact children's poems can have.

As always I'm interested in the voice which has not been heard, in objects and people and groups. Objects are voiceless, abused, and abandoned. So that if they suddenly gained a voice, we would all be moved with compassion. The narrative and the technique is less interesting to me than the point. I think any kind of art is really useless if it isn't saying anything. That being said, emotions are sometimes inarticulate, and still the most important things to talk about.

I also have an interest in concrete poems- poems that make images with the words. Unfortunately, this doesn't really work in the poemhunter format. The only thing that really keeps is single spaces between letters. I can construct mind-blowing poetry in using space as a medium to talk about the words.

• Gajanan Mishra (7/6/2014 9:26:00 PM) Post reply

And who am I? and I think it has no answer.
    We are nothing and nothing and nothing.
    Sometimes, we are thinking we are an instrument.
    But it is not always right. it is also right- nothing is wrong.
    I think we are a part of the same process
    That is going on and on.
    The purpose is not known.
    We are to love only while going
    Through this processes and
    We are helpless to do anything.
    The only truth what I feel.

• Gajanan Mishra (7/6/2014 9:21:00 PM) Post reply

I am not writing poems but the poems are being written by me.
    And I am forced to write, out of my life's experiences.
    And what is my life that I failed to understand.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/5/2014 10:39:00 AM) Post reply

Constant attention on great poems written by great poets are more useful.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/4/2014 4:45:00 AM) Post reply

Constant attention and intutitive thinking sometimes makes ideas and helps to create a poem I think.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/3/2014 10:44:00 AM) Post reply

Writing poetry is a talent of learned ones and care and concern of the theme is essential to make a poetry attractive I think.

• Susie Marie Arviso (7/2/2014 9:21:00 AM) Post reply

I've always written poetry; starting shortly after I learned to write as a child. Writing was my release and outlet in a stormy childhood where we were not allowed to express ourselves or our opinions and thoughts in my home. Free verse was my favorite and I wasn't interested in structured poetry until a few years ago. Structured forms of poetry required more effort. Yet, as I studied and practiced how to write a good Sonnet, Tanka or Haiku, etc.... I found it to be a rewarding challenge. It's always been important to me to communicate clearly and yet, good poetry requires the skill of using words to cause the reader to " feel" the message, thought or emotion, rather than using common and bluntly clear wordings. It required me to have a window open on finding rhymes; a window open with a Thesaurus, a good dictionary window open and sometimes I had to research on the subject I was writing about, to understand it better. If I was writing about songbirds, I needed to find out which birds are songbirds. A poet needs to fully understand their subjects. I also realized that I needed to refrain from using common or worn out descriptions which requires more time. I discovered through my reader's responses to my poems that readers like to be touched, reached and delighted or impressed. Most readers seem to be pleased with a flowing and continual rhythm - as opposed to awkward and choppy rhythm. Though there are forms of poetry - that allow poems that are difficult to decode, I found that the majority of one's reading audience seems to prefer not feeling confused or left wondering what a poem is trying to say or convey. The poet should be considerate of pleasing and impressing their audience and the poet cannot take the attitude: " I know what I'm talking about and that's all that matters." No! The reader is the one who decides whether a poem is well written and whether they grasp the meaning or message. Practicing structured forms of poetry is what develops skill and the responses of your readers can show you what they like or don't like. If a poem is about something sad, negative or unpleasant... I found by reader responses that instilling hope and optimism in the body of a poem brings a pleasing balance that doesn't leave the reader saying: " That was a bummer. How depressing." To please the readers, you should analyze what you are conveying to others by looking at your poem objectively as if you were reading another person's poem. How does it make you feel?Is it awkward?Could you write something differently to optimize it?It's important not to just belt out a poem quickly, but to examine and scrutinize it. This means that you should make sure that you are not in a hurry, in a bad mood, upset or preoccupied. Sometimes, brainstorming thoughts down first, can assist you. Writing under preset titles is a good way to practice and learn, and grow. If you are writing a structured form, follow the rules. Don't accept mediocre but strive for top notch. Happy writing!

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/1/2014 10:49:00 AM) Post reply

What require for creation of a successful poem I think is observation around the world happenings and also the nature, concern on humanity, wars, confrontations, and just means of survival and such things one thinks fit for a poem.

[Hata Bildir]