Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Rookie - 67 Points Cheryl Griffith (8/5/2014 9:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Another significant thing you must know and remember if you write poetry is meter. You need to know the basics of meter, which is based on syllables, emphasized and not emphasized. The basic building block is an " iamb" , a word that begins with a non emphasized and ends with an emphasized syllable, the beat reads: duh-DUH. Example: awake, abuse, afraid, etc..you can hear that duh-duh. I cannot go into depth here on all the acceptable forms of meter and substitutions. You must be aware of the beat of your lines, is it a-b beat or perhaps an a-b-b-c beat?In essence, you must study meter to master the craft!

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 67 Points Cheryl Griffith (8/5/2014 9:37:00 AM) Post reply

People tend to just put the first word that comes to their mind in the poem. Never accept just any word, always search for the perfect word that best says what you want to say and at the same time one that will creates imagery and paint a picture in readers mind. Don't just put anything out there for readers to read, give them your best. Poetry is about the best words in their best order.

• Gold Star - 25,092 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (8/4/2014 10:25:00 AM) Post reply

writing skill of a poet is much important. There must be fitting words to express the meaning intended. Relevance of ideas are also to be born in mind and creation of a poem is somewhat a blessing and intuition coming from the innerthoughts which always are not easy.

• Gold Star - 9,741 Points Heather Wilkins (8/4/2014 4:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

When writing a poem, the title is important. A Clever title will encourage the reader to read the poem. I try to take a few words from the poem for my title.

• Rookie - 25 Points Thabang Kgwatalala (8/3/2014 3:33:00 PM) Post reply

...is just a fantasy.

Deep down inside, I can speak with words full of beauty, honour and respect, just to convience my self that you are the one.
    I can express how I feel about you, just to imagine the flames of your heart, my fear.
    I can close my eyes, just to dream you on my shoulder.

I can see your smile on my picture wall, the expression of laughter, just to convience my self that you are mine.
    I can have you all over me, kissing till your heart stop pounding like a thunder when you feel my comfort, just to picture the joy we can have.

But suddenly, at the end of the day all that was a dream and you are just a friend to me.

• Rookie X. L. Woo (8/1/2014 9:44:00 AM) Post reply

Muse At Washington's Headquarters

I seem to hear the thundering of the cannons
    From two hundred years ago.
    I seem to see the array of the soldiers
    Marching to attack Her Majesty's armies.
    I seem to hearken the rolls of the drums.
    I seem to behold the unfurling of the banners.
    All is for the Independence,
    For freedom and for democracy!
    I recall the Solemn vow:
    " Give me liberty, or give me death! "
    So America's born and lives.
    The tradition prevails.
    If every people under the tyranny
    Either of feudalism or of communism
    Can be up and roar:
    " Give me liberty, or give me death! "
    Then we will have the world peace- -
    The peace we desire so long!
    Oh, God, I pray Thee:
    Let the spirit of America
    Inspire peoples in the world!

• Rookie Jaàck Sonà (7/31/2014 11:25:00 AM) Post reply

" Unfair Life "
    Look at my Face smiling with Tears,
    Look at my Eyes Crying with Blood,
    Watch me fight The Years,
    That made me Blind.
    Thought the problem was with my Personnality,
    Thought i was Right,
    Thinking about the Reality,
    Is it Love at First Sight?
    Remember the Only Person,
    Who makes you Feel Lost,
    Try To teach him a Lesson,
    That could be the Worst.
    Just read Between the Lines,
    The message is So Clear,
    You're saying It's just some Lies,
    That's so Not Fair.

• Rookie - 67 Points Cheryl Griffith (7/30/2014 7:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Two important tips:
    1. Read it out loud to yourself after writing it. You will be able to hear if it sound right, if your word choice is right or if the beat or rhythm is off.
    2. Always revisit your work. Taking a fresh look with fresh eyes can make a difference.

• Rookie Danny Wilson (7/27/2014 5:23:00 PM) Post reply

Im the number one player these poeple keep hating these people keep hateing im the number one player these poeple or the matter some poeple or the hater im the number one payer

• Freshman - 791 Points Ademola Oluwabusayo (7/26/2014 2:59:00 AM) Post reply

Broken freinship
    1small branches of broken tree

always looking to the one above

for protection for guidance

strengh and security of my life

little branche of tree

who heip others frm breaking away

who will fall

two branches of tree

strong relationship

who will fall?