im the mouse to be its prey
    constricted by Time
    never enough
    always too much
    how can we survive in a life
    constricted by Time

----
    one of my first poems
    any suggestions or tips would be great! !

• Grant De Mesquita (3/12/2005 5:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi im a young soul wanting to become a poet. i would love any suggestions or tips. thanks for your time

Replies for this message:
    • Cleveland Gibson (7/8/2011 4:46:00 AM) Post reply

Make a note of all the poems you've read so far. What ones have captured your emotions? Return to those poems and study them in detail.Let you heart resonate to the thoughts of the poetic words.Once y ... more

• Sidi Mahtrow (3/2/2005 3:29:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

In trying to structure a poem it's good to remember the Four E's:
    Excite,
    Entertain,
    Educate,
    End

Good for presentations as well as prose, poetry, ads, &c.

• Steven Buckley (3/22/2005 7:47:00 PM) Post reply

Whoa, this is completely too restrictive. Why should a poem entertain? Is it necessary for it to? What of creating a feeling of discomfort in the participant? A poem does not need to have a defini ... more

• Robin Nelson (2/25/2005 7:58:00 AM) Post reply

CREATIVE WRITING PROGRAM PRAISED BY NY TIMES!

Spring Workshops in Fiction & Poetry start March 7th!

Learn in a technique-oriented, supportive setting and reach your potential as a writer. With 18 years of experience,200 students a year and 10 ongoing workshops, The Writers Studio offers beginners and seasoned writers a unique method solely designed to help you discover and nurture your own voice. Alumni include Jennifer Egan, Walter Mosley, and Martha Mc Phee.

10-week Beginning and Advanced Workshops in Fiction & Poetry taught in New York City and Online. Get craft tapes mailed to you weekly. Private tutorials also available. (212) 255-7075 [ http: //www.writerstudio.com] [info@writerstudio.com ]

• Brenda Fischer (2/20/2005 7:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Robert Lawrence, I like the free verse....

of course that may be because I possibly have AOADD (just kidding)

• Aldo Kraas (1/27/2007 1:43:00 AM) Post reply

Welcome to poem hunter i am looking forward to your poems Firs you have to have the title for the poem Than you start with the words making Sentences You can read my poems And you will grt the i ... more

• Brenda Fischer (2/20/2005 7:42:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Michael Chen. I'd love to give you some feedback......so how do I access your poems?

• Brenda Fischer (2/20/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply

Hi. I'm new. Poetry is becoming a passion for me. The rhythm and the way it flows speaks to me. I call it soulspeak. It's gutteral, real, and deep. The fewer words the better. I'm on here because i want it all to wake up and surface.

• ZhaoNian (Michael) Chen (2/18/2005 7:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi all,
    I am relatively new at poetry, Can anyone look at my poems and give me some suggestions please?

Thanks

• louis sacre croix (2/24/2005 1:35:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Michael. I liked your sixth poem, very much. You need to stop worrying so much about rhyming or not and telling a story and try to paint the picture of what you are feeling. Once you paint the p ... more

• Robert Lawrence (2/11/2005 1:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Just another shot, I really want some insight, good or bad, here i go (see which is better paragraph free verse or a rhyming poem) :

Loneliness. Resting on a song. Priceless whispers curdle my skin. I should have kept you in a tightly locked box. But now you’re gone forever. The trees don’t grow as tall. The water is never as clean as it was before. And I wish to be somewhere else. In that place you created for me. When I was resting; listening to the music of the water, the creatures in the trees, and your voice. In tune. Harmony. Love never felt this brilliant. And it kills me I can’t return. My slavish body is now drenched in muddy water. Your spirit haunts these woods. Never speaking to me. Always paying attention to something else. I’m dead; lost; my heart is broken. There’s this constant pain in my chest that never goes away. It was there since you left me. This is how I feel without your music.

Children fall in rains of December
    Autumn leaves turn silky and soft
    They make me think and try to remember
    What light this world has given and lost
    Lost are the ones who bleakly dream
    They decay and rot like September breeze
    Cool and gentle, it fades its gleam
    Often a rose loses its thorns in relief
    With a sigh, they shake off their wings
    And let go; they strive to be complete
    Without a conscience they linger
    Through the forest of the dark and obsolete
    To find a purpose; we all possess this thirst
    To break through and grow out of the worst

• Navin , (3/5/2005 12:30:00 AM) Post reply

I think rhyming is more compact and better readable and as visuallly it encites reader into it What do you think

• louis sacre croix (2/24/2005 3:53:00 PM) Post reply

Robert I love the first one and yet I think it could have been written better had it not been in paragraph form. Why not let the words find their own place on the paper. Do not restrict them, let th ... more

• Gina PrettyBrownEyes (2/15/2005 7:33:00 PM) Post reply

i think both styles have their good pointss. rhyming poems have a good, definate beat and rhythm. it makes reading it like a song.paragraph free verse lets your mind wander and create its own rhythm. ... more

• Richard Joseph (2/9/2005 9:39:00 PM) Post reply

My techniques vary, & I have been writing poetry 'consciously', for less than a year. I found a box of misc. 'stuff', I had written when I was a lot younger, & it seemed like someone elses. Prior to that I was doing a lot of different kinds of visual art. Much was what an instructor at the ' Institute of Design', at IIT, said about my work. Call it 'visual poetry'. That comment stuck in my mind. It was the thing that got me going after I moved about a year ago. I have a vivid imagination, & I have been using it to write. Perhaps I will start to combine the visual w/ the written, so far it has been using photos, which I affix to my poem pages.

[Hata Bildir]