Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (4/19/2005 2:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

and of course I forgot two celebrated figures of 2oth century British poetry: Dylan Thomas, symbol of romantic poet drinking himself to death, famouf the poem to his father 'rage, rage against the fading of the light...' and
    whose 'Under Milk Wood' is much performed, though I find it patronising of 'the little people'; and Dame Edith Sitwell (bet you thought her some Nehr-do-Well clone?) who regarded herself as the high priestess of poetry and dressed accordingly...but whose 'Rio Grande' was set to delicious music by Constant Lambert, father of Kit Lambert, founder of The Who and ex-pupil of mine...one of the great figures of self-caricature was Dame Edith.

• Michael Shepherd (4/19/2005 7:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

forgot to say, for the most up-to-the-minute view of the scene, bloodaxebooks is the only publisher who can afford to produce an enormous quantity of current verse (hates formal verse) since they have some form of uni sponsorship.

And how could I have forgotten DH Lawrence, with 106 poems on this site, I've just discovered, whose 'Snake' is my admired conscious and unconscious model (and his 'Beautiful old age' for personal reasons...) I'd put him contender for the most representative British poet of the 20th century. The British, who don't trust anyone who does more than one thing well, don't pay him much attention. Children trust him as a poet though.

Replies for this message:
    • Ramil Gulle (10/6/2005 5:23:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hello, I'm new at this site. I stumbled onto it while researching for an essay I'm writing on Dan Schnieder. Hi Michael, I noticed this post of yours because you mentioned Bloodaxe Books. I once h ... more

• Beste Alpay (4/19/2005 5:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hi! i think in shakespere english 'thee' means 'him, her' etc but does it mean 'yours' too? thanks

• Michael Shepherd (4/19/2005 6:20:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I is I, though 'Methinks' means I think thee means you. Thee usually means God. Thy means your(singular) he, him, she, her, it - as now. we, our - as now ye means you (plural, but sometimes you s ... more

• Robert Rorabeck (4/19/2005 12:34:00 AM) Post reply Stage

On Buffie Saint Marie- yeah, Codeine is-liked it much (heard it before) , she has an original way of singing, kind of forgotten folk- it's not that I'm unfamiliar with this period of music, and I've certainly heard her stuff before like Soulful Shade of Blue and some of the other songs just didn't know her name- I liked My Country Tis of Thy, but Neil Diamond's Pocahontas is still my favorite :)

• Robert Rorabeck (4/18/2005 5:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

buffie saint marie is (so far) so very good! i'm always looking for good new music- and this sounds like it- so, I do have to say, thanks, PH.

• Andy Konisberg (4/18/2005 8:37:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Leonard Cohen had published a novel and some poetry collections before making music. I believe he's up to about 11 poetry books now.

• Poetry Hound (4/18/2005 7:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Glad you like it, Robert. Tell me, is the tune 'Codeine' on the collection you bought?

• Michael Shepherd (4/17/2005 7:11:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I'd say an improvement, Mark.
    We're getting into Marriage Guidance Council territory here! He's into what's-it-all-about mode; she's looking back. How do we indicate their next move or what prevents them making it? If they're discontented with their upbringing and environment, then what?
    I'm getting a little impatient with them. I may take them off my Christmas card list. Cards from couples about to break up with a yawn are so uncomfortable to read; worse, to word the message when sending to them!

• Michael Shepherd (4/17/2005 5:28:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Mark, brilliant effort, though I feel that the last three lines take the reader back to the situation too much.

But it does occur to me that 'state of the marriage' is one of the great contemporary themes, too little treated for obvious reasons -we don't all want to be Teds and Sylvias hanging out our dirty washing in public!

• Michael Shepherd (4/16/2005 5:31:00 PM) Post reply Stage

'and thus they knew just what they didn't want;
    but never met to write a shopping list.'

which is surely very unAmerican?

• Robert Rorabeck (4/16/2005 12:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

ordered buffie Saint Marie's greatest hits off Amazon, so it will be interesting to hear how she sounds

• Poetry Hound (4/16/2005 6:53:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I'll be interested to hear too. I wonder if the song 'Codeine' is part of the collection. She tunes her guitar differently and it adds a haunting sound to the haunting lyrics.

• Brett Trotter (4/14/2005 11:00:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hey everyone, I would appreciate some more ratings and criticism on one of my poems I have posted here on this site. It is titled 'Revolution Coming.' I have a few others posted here under my name as well, and I welcome anything said of them, also. Thank you very much! Have a great day!

[Hata Bildir]