Learn More

Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Rookie Eugene Issaus (5/23/2006 12:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hi everyone.

Hum i've just got a... perhaps silly question which i would invite you guys to give opinions on: is rhyme important to poetry?

well this question comes to my mind since i see that traditional poems stick to rhymes and modern poems are more free about it. when i'm trying to write my own poems i sometimes find the intention to 'rhyme' the lines together may hinder expression- perhaps because i am not a native english speaker so rhyming is not an easy job for me.

so i'm thinking of how important is rhyme to poetry~

and of course i invite you all to take a look at my poems~ they are written within the last two years but just 2 months ago i 'discovered' this site and decide to put them up~

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/28/2006 1:11:00 PM) Post reply

I don't think rhyme is particularly important but it can add flavour to the piece. I think rhyme is useful if you're writing songs but it's not entirely neccessary. Rhythm, on the other hand, is q ... more

• Rookie Dustin Bennefield (5/22/2006 12:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello every1. My name is Dustin and I'm a beginner poet. My poetry is good and I like to write but people who read it really doesn't understand it. Why is that? Read some of mine and tell me if you can understand any of it.
    Thanks,
    Dustin Bennefield
    A.K.A Inkweaver

• Rookie Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/28/2006 1:16:00 PM) Post reply

That's great that you're a beginner poet and you love to write! I'll go and read some of your poetry and I promise that I'll try my hardest to understand it. We're the same age so I reckon I'll be on ... more

• Rookie Kev Elmer (5/19/2006 6:24:00 PM) Post reply

I've put a poem up here called 'stood out in the cold' I would like your views on this if possible. Good and bad comments are both welcome as I'm currently looking to improve my poetry (as we all are) to the next level. So I thank you in advance.

-=Kev=-

• Rookie Nibedita Deb (5/19/2006 8:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Why are 'Poem Of the Day's being repeated all over again. Can't they choose the poem of the day from latest poems. Do these have to be old, classic poems that we have read thousand time? ?

N.D.

• Rookie Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/21/2006 12:31:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with you- I reckon they should choose ones that 'we' as a poetry community has written. I guess that'll just leave us reading the 'random poem' which is, in fact, not random at all; they just ... more

• Rookie Adeaze An (5/12/2006 7:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Ok, I am suffering from severe writer's block. Is anyone available to help me? Send me a message or post something so I will recover and have ideas again.
    ~Dallas

• Rookie Kev Elmer (5/19/2006 6:21:00 PM) Post reply

Try writing a poem with some1 else, its hard to do but gets your mind working overtime. It can be joint work for a poem, or a poem in reply to a poem. Wrodks for me and there is alot of enjoyment in t ... more

• Rookie Nibedita Deb (5/19/2006 8:43:00 AM) Post reply

Dallas, Love works magic. If you are in love already spend some time with your beloved to overcome the block. If you aren't, think of being in love. This helps me, and so I recommended.

• Rookie Sweetie Sarah<3 (5/15/2006 10:18:00 AM) Post reply

Along time after my friend died and i wrote a poem for her. I was unable to write poems, wat i did was just wait until something, anything came to me. Even if it sucked. then i would rework it change ... more

• Rookie Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/14/2006 3:59:00 AM) Post reply

Listen to some music. Avril Lavigne, Bus ... more

• Rookie Ernest Mayer (5/12/2006 8:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's Friday. Go see a movie, talk to so ... more

• Rookie Dana Tyrrell (5/12/2006 4:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

i was just pondering (as i often do while i shouldnt...) do the majority of writers have 'pen names'?

If so, should i adopt one, even though i am happy with using my name?

yours in thought, Dana

• Rookie Sweetie Sarah<3 (5/15/2006 10:15:00 AM) Post reply

No way. ur name is F'n awesome. I only chose my name...cuz i was really bored with same ole sarah. There are like 4 of my friends named sarah. It gets really annoying when someone says sarah and all o ... more

• Rookie Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/14/2006 4:00:00 AM) Post reply

Dana, you have a really cool name. Nah, wouldn't use a pseudonym unless oyu have something to hide or if your real name is not particularly in your gfavour (thinking back on it now, maybe I shoulda u ... more

• Rookie Ernest Mayer (5/12/2006 5:58:00 PM) Post reply

A lot do, but if you like your name, than stick with it. 'Ernest Mayer' is actually a pen-name; my real name just sucks.

• Rookie Richard Cock III (5/11/2006 9:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

In your opinion, what must a piece of literature contain in order to have or achieve any form of artistic merit?

• Rookie Sweetie Sarah<3 (5/13/2006 11:58:00 PM) Post reply

In mine, well, it should have some sort of heart to it. A meaning. A life. Or to make people think about how or what they can change in their life. Nice question. Sweetie Sarah

• Rookie Nibedita Deb (5/12/2006 8:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Emotions compressed into words, like rain compressed into drops...Love, N.D.

• Rookie Sweetie Sarah<3 (5/11/2006 10:35:00 AM) Post reply

Hey everyone.
    I'm just sayin ' yo, wat up? ! ' to all you fellow poets. If you would like me to read a poem of yours comment on mine, and ill comment back. Thats how i do.
    C Yaz
    Sweetie Sarah

• Rookie Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/10/2006 4:26:00 AM) Post reply

Heya everyone!

Hope you're all doing well! I was wondering if you could read a couple of my poems (I know there are quite a few but recently I've been writing loads so I just uploaded them all! : P) .

For people who are in a romantic mood I'd recommend:
    Butterfly Boy
    Supernaturally Yours
    Never Been Kissed
    The Girl Next Door.

For those you you who want to have a laugh, I'd recommend
    Never Been Kissed
    The Girl Next Door
    Y Fronts

The poems which are quite serious are:
    Road To Normality
    The Immortal Question: Why?
    The Meaningless Sorry.

You don't have to read all of them if you don't want to, but I'd be really grateful if you did. I'll leave comments on yours too! Thanks very much!

:)

• Rookie Faith Elizabeth Brigham (5/9/2006 5:39:00 AM) Post reply

I personally feel and this is only my opinion, of course, that true inspiration comes when we set our egos aside and just let the words flow. There was one brief period inmy life when it seemed as though I was unable to write anything at all. I believe the major hindrance came from a battle with my ego. I later learned the secrets of writing good poetry. Let your spirit guide you, write from the heart and believe in yourself! Lastly, never force your writing because it will show in your work. Oh, and before I forget it, always remember Rule #1. Write! Write! Write! Make time to write. It's alot like playing the piano. The more you practice the better you get at it!

[Hata Bildir]