Learn More

Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Rookie David T Tucker (12/14/2007 7:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Not sure if this is the right forum. New to all this, and have a question. When a poem is described as 'finely tuned', what does that mean? I see it used in reviews but have really can discern the meaning. Thanks

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Alek Lenth (12/15/2007 2:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

tunr, tone, line, and voice are all the same from a music theory/wikipedia perspective. I would take finely tuned as a well-crafted voice, something very pleasant to the ear, or at least soundly en ... more

• Rookie Sandra Martyres (12/10/2007 2:02:00 PM) Post reply

Hello everyone, I do write or rather try to write poetry as a hobby. Would be delighted to have your feedback on my poems/ writing style etc..Just want to know if I need to change or improve....

• Rookie Amy Nash (12/7/2007 1:22:00 PM) Post reply

Never thought of myself as a poet, though I do write songs. I love taking poem lyrics and pairing them up with the perfect melodies. Out of my passion for doing this, I've started 'Poem Into Song'. I'd be honored if you'd check out my site: www.songwritercentral.com/poemintosong

Many thanks!

• Rookie Eli Moreno-drew (11/25/2007 4:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello fellow poets! I am really new at this, but so far... I love it! it's awesome to get some feed-back and knowledge from the Forum. Check out some of my Poems, some are better than others. But I love discussing lots of things involving poetry.

-Paz

• Rookie Yaseen Anwer (11/28/2007 4:08:00 PM) Post reply

First think about the theme on which u decide to writr the poem and then convert theme into story. gradually start minimizing the story by mentioning importent senceable points. and at last try to g ... more

• Rookie Peter Jones (11/24/2007 3:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

LEARNING THE HARD WAY: I was very fortunate in my early studies as a poet to have a tutor who was downright brutal. He ripped my early efforts to pieces in a very blunt way and made a lot of extremely common-sense suggestions.I didn't appreciate them all at the time, but later realised how right he was. The first was - if you can't take criticism, get out.. coz you are wasting my time and yours. Here, in no particular order, are some of his practical points.

* Don't write about how your grandfather had a hard time: everybody's grandfather did.
    * You are writing for someone else to read and be entertained or provoked into thought. If you must writing pathetic whinging angst for personal release, keep it to yourself.
    * Keep a notebook with you at all times, to capture the jewel of inspiration when you see it. But never write a poem and instantly consider it finished. Don't rush to show it to other people. Coming back to it later nearly always shows how a word or a phrase could be improved. You might even re-write the poem completely, as you find a way to express yourself better.
    * Never write 'shopping list' poems - a succession of short lines of words - just because you feel inspired by them at that moment. That is not poetry- it is xxxx. Only really gifted people can write good shopping list poetry - and you are not one of them at present. Use them as a basis to write a proper poem.
    * Learn your craft properly. Study the many forms of construction. Until you do, you remain an artist with only one colour in your bag.
    * Never be self indulgent. Be your own worst critic.
    In short: Poetry that is exposed to the public gaze should be written for them: not you. If you remember that then maybe there is a chance that you wont cringe with embarrassment in years to come.

Hope this is of interest

Peter

• Rookie Eli Moreno-drew (11/25/2007 4:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is of interest. I will admit, i've never really had that one professional person say, 'you suck, just quit trying' and i consider myself lucky. Instead i've had two amazing teacher, one an insane ... more

• Rookie Khoirun Niam (11/20/2007 1:45:00 AM) Post reply

At the morning

At the morning
    the sun shining
    the motorcycle riding
    at the school morning
    (13o4o6)

Snow

Snow falls
    leaves green white
    winter comes
    (30o4o6)

Nove
    Nolove
    Nolife
    Nolife
    Nolove
    Love
    Withoutlife
    Is__—
    life
    withoutlove
    isbored
    nolove
    nolife
    nolife
    nolove
    (o8o5o6)

Blank

Blank
    no limit
    blank
    burn
    as a dash
    (27o3o6)

Theclock

Theclocktuck
    Thefanngzh
    Thedoorkreck
    (3oo4o6)

• Rookie Khoirun Niam (11/20/2007 1:37:00 AM) Post reply

At the morning

At the morning
    the sun shining
    the motorcycle riding
    at the school morning
    (13o4o6)

Snow

Snow falls
    leaves green white
    winter comes
    (30o4o6)

Nove
    Nolove
    Nolife
    Nolife
    Nolove
    Love
    Withoutlife
    Is__—
    life
    withoutlove
    isbored
    nolove
    nolife
    nolife
    nolove
    (o8o5o6)

Blank

Blank
    no limit
    blank
    burn
    as a dash
    (27o3o6)

Theclock

Theclocktuck
    Thefanngzh
    Thedoorkreck
    (3oo4o6)

• Rookie Khoirun Niam (11/20/2007 1:35:00 AM) Post reply

Asal tahu saja alasan aku tak menusukmu adalah karena aku mencintaimu entah karena apa aku ga tahu aku mencintaimu kasih ijinkan aku membelaimu sebentar saja sebentar saja ya sebentar saja biar ku rasakan gairah itu dan terpuaskan segala hasrat sebelum pada akhirnya aku menusukmu perlahan karena semua telah kudapatkan dan aku akan membunuh mereka juga karena membiarkan mu mati begitu saja tanpa membantumu(020707)

Ku nembe mumet ki mboh ku dewe ra mudeng sing gawe mumet ki apa aku dewe ra dong aku nembe mumet tenan lagi ra konek semprul ra? Padahal pengene ya biasa wae kaya sing liyane nanging aku pancen beda karo liyane aku jarene aneh aku pancen rada keset kuwi penyakitku sing nganti saiki ku ra ngerti obate apa ya? (020707)

Sometime when I am alone

Sometime when I am alone
    Don’t know why i
    Just thinkin of my dream
    Beside on you________cat
    (260106)

Virtue
    fortune
    chance
    important
    try to propose
    all
    or part of them
    (29o4o6)

Day storming

Day storming
    Lightning flash
    As fast ass
    (—o4o6)

The wind blows

The wind blows
    the window opens
    the door__
    (o3o3o6)

Moon

Moon______
    Hid behind the clouds
    Dark__________
    Spread in wide sky
    Scare__________
    (181105)

The rain

The rain
    fall
    the earth
    wet
    plan growth
    at
    the morning
    (o8o3o6)

• Rookie D.d. Demp (11/15/2007 11:01:00 PM) Post reply

Here is something of a quote I use to say when I was younger...
    'You cannot live without Love'
    tell me what it means!

• Rookie - 64 Points Melvin Banggollay (11/9/2007 2:18:00 AM) Post reply

Poetry is P-oetical rhyming expressions of
    O-bservations, opinions, feelings, and conviction about
    E-verything under the sun in a
    T-rutful and powerful display of
    R-easons, emotions and passion for
    Y-oung and old to read and learn from it.

[Hata Bildir]