Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Rookie Not a member No 3 (10/2/2008 6:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Here's a piece from Jough Dempsey, poet, critic and webmaster of 'Poetry' from February 2002, which sets out to identify what poetry is. It's very basic stuff and at one point he asserts that poetry is NOT about SELF EXPRESSION. I thought it was worth posting for that part along, but the rest of it serves as useful context, and helped refresh my wasting mind on the basics. Skip or skim as suits.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Not a member No 3 (10/2/2008 6:51:00 PM) Post reply

I usually spell 'alone' in the usual fashion but the typo monkey got the better of me there.. he always does sooner or later..

• Rookie Not a member No 3 (10/2/2008 6:12:00 PM) Post reply

All anyone knows for sure is that it must rhyme. That’s usually the first entry in non-poet’s personal lexicon when they recognize something as being a poem. Of course, we know that a great deal of po ... more

• Rookie Martin Swords (10/2/2008 10:20:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Folks
    Experimental poem in style of J. M. Synge (Playboy of the Western World)
    Comments, good and bad please.
    Thank You All

• Rookie Philip Kirkland (10/1/2008 1:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Critique wanted pls! I have 3 new poems (traditional rhyming) :

England
    The Virgin of Guadalupe
    The Angel's Song

Thanks in advance.

• Rookie Linda Winchell (10/3/2008 7:31:00 PM) Post reply

Forum folk! I have read all three of them love two and the jury is still out on the third. Not my style I guess. This guy is going places with his poetry I'm sure.

• Rookie Andile Panda (9/27/2008 3:11:00 AM) Post reply

hello everyone please read my poems and let me know what you think.thank you

• Rookie - 0 Points Rakhi Jayashankar (9/26/2008 11:44:00 PM) Post reply

I am new to this site
    i have written some poems plz do read my poems n give suggetion n do rate them

• Rookie Emperor 8 (9/26/2008 7:51:00 PM) Post reply

hello everyone, i have just posted a new poem called 'i am new' please could u read it and comment on it, thanks

• Rookie Bantu Ngcephe (9/26/2008 11:23:00 AM) Post reply

I have another1 plz comment on it(I'M SICK OF THIS LIFE)

• Rookie - 10 Points Lily Law (9/24/2008 3:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

ola! ! plz feel free to read and give comment to any of my poems.. it will be a great help for my learning process... thanks ^-^

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Bantu Ngcephe (9/22/2008 11:50:00 AM) Post reply

Hi everyone i have posted a new poem goes by the name(will i make it?) plz feel free to comment on it

• Rookie Will Lusced (9/21/2008 9:32:00 PM) Post reply

Hello all, I just joined up and I'm really diggin it so far. Hopefully this is an appropriate place to ask for feedback on my work. I'd definitely appreciate it. And no holding back either, I think I can take it

[Hata Bildir]