Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

• Gajanan Mishra Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/23/2014 7:42:00 PM) Post reply

Writing poetry is not a joke or a farce,
    what you said in poetry is also not final,
    It is just to ignite the fire, that is there
    as before and you have nothing to
    do more but to declare it is there.

• Jacqueline Nash Rookie - 1st Stage (9/22/2014 9:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The main thing when writing poetry is that you enjoy writing it. Whether it is written to send a message, as a cathartic process or exercise or purely to write a beautiful flow of words describing an experience, or of anything that has inspired you, it doesn't matter. People often try to defend their style of poetry by denigrating others. I say it doesn't matter, ignore them, choose your own style, work on it, improve on it until you are happy with the results. Everybody has their own preference when it comes to poetry and you can't please everybody, so stay true to yourself and write what comes naturally to you. It's not some competition of who can write more intellectually than somebody else, it's about passion and getting that over the best way you can. I write purely for the enjoyment of it, should any of my poetry get published then that would be a bonus. So, good luck and just keep working at it.

Replies for this message:
  • Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/22/2014 8:25:00 AM) Post reply

Before we start writing poetry, we need to ask ourselves about the aims of writing poetry. Do we write just for any aim or just for fun?Writing poetry is a great job that depends on the person himself or herself anytime.

• Nikola Pajtic Rookie - 1st Stage (9/21/2014 11:05:00 AM) Post reply

Hi everybody?I started writing songs when I was 16...Now I m 24...I m from Serbia, but I write songs in english...
    I would like you to tell me, what do you think of this little thingy :)

Tell me..Will you dance for rain tonight?
    Ask her to remedy your scars...
    And before it touches the ground...
    Cut her open with your smile...

Tell me...Is your darkness any brighter
    When I hold your hand?
    Does your heart beat any faster
    When you know, love commands...

Tell me...won`t you tickle the evil that lies under your bed?
    Put your walls of sorrow down, and enjoy the show,
    Ask it to ravage the souls of ones who left you for dead..
    And your sun will shine before tomorrow...

Tell me...do you revel in those blue notes that you play?
    Ask them to ease your mind...
    And before the echo reaches your ears
    Silence it with your tears...

Tell me...is it morning already?.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/21/2014 10:49:00 AM) Post reply

Writing poetry gives an opportunity of expressing feelings of the events we noticed, observed, and came to know about and the important events we looks in our own angles and perfect forum to inter act with noble minds.

• Aidan Cost Rookie - 1st Stage (9/20/2014 6:18:00 AM) Post reply

My latest poem, I could use some constructive criticism alongside some compliments if there are any to be had, they would be most appreicated. thank you

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-phonecall-generation/

• Mahmoud Tayyeb Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 11:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

“Birth”
    the night
    I wite thee
    on the moon shine!
    in the morning
    you are born
    from a ray...
    m.tayyeb

• Abekah Emmanuel Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/19/2014 8:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

When I write, I ask my heart, are you beating?Indeed, I expect my poems to be emotional.

• Mahmoud Tayyeb Rookie - 1st Stage (9/19/2014 6:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

" When I was a child"

When I was a child
    I said
    If grow up
    I must
    Be alive
    To be devoted…
    But now
    I’ve grow up
    I understand that
    I must be devoted
    To be alive!
    m.tayyeb

• Alex Adeoye Rookie - 1st Stage (9/18/2014 5:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I don't plan poem, its occurs by chance.
    when I join the train, before I reach my destination,
    meanings would have popped up.

• John Westlake Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/19/2014 4:27:00 AM) Post reply

I don't think that there are too many people who DO plan poetry. I know I normally don't

[Hata Bildir]