Torquato Tasso Poems
- Ecco Mormorar L'Onde (Now The ...
- Hedge, That Divides The Lovely Hedge, that divides the ...
- Jerusalem Delivered - Book 01 ... THE ARGUMENT. God ...
- Jerusalem Delivered - Book 03 ... XVI Soon was the ...
- Jerusalem Delivered - Book 02 ... LXXXVI "But if our ...
- Jerusalem Delivered - Book 01 ... XXVI "Turks, ...
- Jerusalem Delivered - Book 01 ... XI Thus when the ...
Torquato Tasso was born in Sorrento, near Naples in Italy, in 1544. As a young man he was educated by Jesuits at the Court of the Dukes of Urbino and later studied law and philosophy at the University of Padua. He completed his studies at the University of Bologna, from where he later received an invitation, in 1565, to join the brilliant court of the Este at Ferrara, where he remained for many years. There he wrote a number of beautiful, ltrical poems. He had already achieved fame prior to this when, aged just 18, he published his chivlaric poem Rinaldo in 1562.
Other works by Tasso include the pastoral play Aminta (1573) and his masterpiece Gerusalemme Liberata (Jeusralem ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Torquato Tasso
Ecco Mormorar L'Onde (Now The Waves Murmur)
Ecco mormorar l'onde,
E tremolar le fronde
A l'aura mattutina, e gli arboscelli,
E sovra i verdi rami i vaghi augelli
E rider l'Oriente;
Ecco già l'alba appare,
E si specchia nel mare,
E rasserena il cielo,
E le campagne imperla il dolce gelo,
E gli alti monti indora:
O bella e vaga Aurora,
L'aura è tua messaggera, e tu de l'aura
Ch'ogni arso cor ristaura.
Now the waves murmur
And the boughs and the shrubs tremble
in the morning breeze,
And on the green branches the pleasant birds