Woman Poems - Poems For Woman
Poems about woman. You can read the best woman poems. Browse through all woman poems.
A Light Woman - Poem by Robert Browning
So far as our story approaches the end,
Which do you pity the most of us three?---
My friend, or the mistress of my friend
With her wanton eyes, or me?
My friend was already too good to lose,
And seemed in the way of improvement yet,
When she crossed his path with her hunting-noose
And over him drew her net.
When I saw him tangled in her toils,
A shame, said I, if she adds just him
To her nine-and-ninety other spoils,
The hundredth for a whim!
And before my friend be wholly hers,
How easy to prove to him, I said,
An eagle's the game her pride prefers,
Though she snaps at a wren instead!
So, I gave her eyes my own eyes to take,
My hand sought hers as in earnest need,
And round she turned for my noble sake,
And gave me herself indeed.
The eagle am I, with my fame in the world,
The wren is he, with his maiden face.
---You look away and your lip is curled?
Patience, a moment's space!
For see, my friend goes shaling and white;
He eyes me as the basilisk:
I have turned, it appears, his day to night,
Eclipsing his sun's disk.
And I did it, he thinks, as a very thief:
``Though I love her---that, he comprehends---
``One should master one's passions, (love, in chief)
``And be loyal to one's friends!''
And she,---she lies in my hand as tame
As a pear late basking over a wall;
Just a touch to try and off it came;
'Tis mine,---can I let it fall?
With no mind to eat it, that's the worst!
Were it thrown in the road, would the case assist?
'Twas quenching a dozen blue-flies' thirst
When I gave its stalk a twist.
And I,---what I seem to my friend, you see:
What I soon shall seem to his love, you guess:
What I seem to myself, do you ask of me?
No hero, I confess.
'Tis an awkward thing to play with souls,
And matter enough to save one's own:
Yet think of my friend, and the burning coals
He played with for bits of stone!
One likes to show the truth for the truth;
That the woman was light is very true:
But suppose she says,---Never mind that youth!
What wrong have I done to you?
Well, any how, here the story stays,
So far at least as I understand;
And, Robert Browning, you writer of plays,
Here's a subject made to your hand!
Comments about A Light Woman by Robert Browning
Poems About Woman
- 1. A Light Woman , Robert Browning
- 2. A Pretty Woman , Robert Browning
- 3. A Woman Young And Old , William Butler Yeats
- 4. A Woman Homer Sung , William Butler Yeats
- 5. On Woman , William Butler Yeats
- 6. The Heart Of The Woman , William Butler Yeats
- 7. The Complaint Of A Forsaken Indian Woman , William Wordsworth
- 8. A Woman Waits For Me , Walt Whitman
- 9. Primeval My Love For The Woman I Love , Walt Whitman
- 10. The Truth Of Woman , Sir Walter Scott
- 11. I Am Woman , Alfrednett Atkinson
- 12. I Am That Woman , Anna Wade
- 13. I Need My Woman To Hold , Catherine Valdez
- 14. Voodoo Woman , Cecilia W. Praetorius
- 15. Woman Of My Dreams , Charles Baddeley
- 16. A Woman Desires A Man , Clarice Reid Hart
- 17. A Woman In The White House , Debbie Stoeckel
- 18. The Samaritan Woman , Doris Litscher Gasser
- 19. Feminist Woman (In Holocaust) , G. Grant
- 20. Beautiful Woman , Hiram Lee Gonzalez
- 21. I Am Woman , Irean Verge Hughes
- 22. The Total Woman , Joan P. Walker
- 23. Woman Of Color , Karen Champion
- 24. Comrade Woman , Liselotte Reich
- 25. Woman , Lydia Felicien
- 26. A Loved Woman , Marian Hallet
- 27. Solitary Woman , Maureen Brown
- 28. Woman To Woman , Loretta Worthington
- 29. Symbolic Woman , Raymond C. Christian
- 30. Moody Woman Blues , Ricarda McDonald Payne
New Woman Poems
- The Womb - Poems On Mother, Father, Chil.., Nikhil Parekh
- As. A. Woman., sunny Munera Managan
- I Know A Woman, john chizoba vincent
- The Beauty Of A Woman, Preston Mwiinga
- A Woman's World, Nikhil Parekh
- I Felt The Most Immortal Woman., Nikhil Parekh
- Without The Immortal Love Of A Woman, Nikhil Parekh
- The Boy, The Woman And The Man, Richie Y. Rampershad
- The Joy Of Being A Woman, john chizoba vincent
- Jesica's Splendid Grandeur, Bill Darrah
- carpe diem