Warning Poems - Poems For Warning
Poems about warning. You can read the best warning poems. Browse through all warning poems.
The Call - Poem by George Meredith
Under what spell are we debased
By fears for our inviolate Isle,
Whose record is of dangers faced
And flung to heel with even smile?
Is it a vaster force, a subtler guile?
They say Exercitus designs
To match the famed Salsipotent
Where on her sceptre she reclines;
Awake: but were a slumber sent
By guilty gods, more fell his foul intent.
The subtler web, the vaster foe,
Well may we meet when drilled for deeds:
But in these days of wealth at flow,
A word of breezy warning breeds
The pained responses seen in lakeside reeds.
We fain would stand contemplative,
All innocent as meadow grass;
In human goodness fain believe,
Believe a cloud is formed to pass;
Its shadows chase with draughts of hippocras.
Others have gone; the way they went
Sweet sunny now, and safe our nest.
Against the warning hum protest:
Let the world hear that we know what is best.
So do the beatific speak;
Yet have they ears, and eyes as well;
And if not with a paler cheek,
They feel the shivers in them dwell,
That something of a dubious future tell.
For huge possessions render slack
The power we need to hold them fast;
Save when a quickened heart shall make
Our people one, to meet what blast
May blow from temporal heavens overcast.
Our people one! Nor they with strength
Dependent on a single arm:
Alert, and braced the whole land's length,
Rejoicing in their manhood's charm
For friend or foe; to succour, not to harm.
Has ever weakness won esteem?
Or counts it as a prized ally?
They who have read in History deem
It ranks among the slavish fry,
Whose claim to live justiciary Fates deny.
It can not be declared we are
A nation till from end to end
The land can show such front to war
As bids a crouching foe expend
His ire in air, and preferably be friend.
We dreading him, we do him wrong;
For fears discolour, fears invite.
Like him, our task is to be strong;
Unlike him, claiming not by might
To snatch an envied treasure as a right.
So may a stouter brotherhood
At home be signalled over sea
For righteous, and be understood,
Nay, welcomed, when 'tis shown that we
All duties have embraced in being free.
This Britain slumbering, she is rich;
Lies placid as a cradled child;
At times with an uneasy twitch,
That tells of dreams unduly wild.
Shall she be with a foreign drug defiled?
The grandeur of her deeds recall;
Look on her face so kindly fair:
This Britain! and were she to fall,
Mankind would breathe a harsher air,
The nations miss a light of leading rare.
Comments about The Call by George Meredith
Poems About Warning
- 51. The Call , George Meredith
- 52. Morgan , Edward Harrington
- 53. To Lovers , Ellis Parker Butler
- 54. Not Any Other Landing Force , Frank V. Gardner
- 55. (sterling Park) -Haiku- , ray Schreiber
- 56. Endless Light , Bonnie Collins
- 57. Hate Myself In The Morning , krissi b'williams
- 58. Fire One , Howard Kern
- 59. /// Humor ***** Book Lover , Rommel Mark Dominguez Marchan
- 60. Sin, Death , Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
- 61. The Light On The Wreck , Henry Lawson
- 62. Never A Sweet Proposal , hasmukh amathalal
- 63. (aaa) Law Of The Beasts , Edwin Alba Empestan
- 64. (((Covering Up Your Tracks))) , Theodora (Theo) Onken
- 65. I Mourn For You , Kelsea Osterman
- 66. Notice Board , Abdul Wahab
- 67. Time Passage , hasmukh amathalal
- 68. Early Warning , hasmukh amathalal
- 69. The Greatest Farce , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 70. Warning Bells , Lucille van OnselenZunckel
- 71. The Sui Palace , Han Yu
- 72. ! Death Visits In The Garden, In The Night , Michael Shepherd
- 73. Medicine In Poetry: How To Know Your Dep.. , Dr John Celes
- 74. This Is A Warning , Sylvia Chidi
- 75. A Little Light , Randy Hogan
- 76. Goodbye To Suicide , sekharan pookkat
- 77. (every) Warning , Rich Downes
- 78. Independent , April Avalon
- 79. Temora - Book Iv , James Macpherson
- 80. ******wish To Hold , HAZEL Calumarde
- 81. Not A Sound , Caitlin Hancock
- 82. The Dragonflies Poem , Charles Hice
- 83. Attachment Disorders & Reactive Attachme.. , Is It Poetry
- 84. Blame Myself.. , Jodie Louise Pollock
- 85. On Friday Night , Charles Chaim Wax
- 86. Unlawful Censorship Of Artful Writted Wit. , Michael Gale
- 87. A Sunset Glow , David Harris
- 88. Without Warning , Gordon D Wilkinson
- 89. Bad For Your Bum (Fun Poem 54) , David Harris
- 90. Not Same Again , hasmukh amathalal
- 91. Bye Friends , Aldo Kraas
- 92. The Iron Laundress Named Speed Queen , nimal dunuhinga
- 93. When You Came Into My Life , Aldo Kraas
- 94. Putting Up Barriers , RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 95. Caution , David Harris
- 96. The Holocaust Files & Other Theme Poems , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 97. Travel Japan Haiku - Earthquake Warning , john tiong chunghoo
- 98. New Mattress , George Hunter
- 99. The Laws Of Nature , Francis Duggan
- 100. New Zealand’s Great Alpine Fault , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
New Warning Poems
- Fair Warning To All (Bussokusekika), Blu 1 Blu 1 (Rio de Janeiro)
- A Warning From History, David Clinch
- Torn Away, Afrilisha LoweVidal
- Different Laughs Around Us, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Vampir, Suzaku Vaneko
- Goodbye To Suicide, sekharan pookkat
- Medicine In Poetry: How To Know Your Dep.., Dr John Celes
- The Statue, Udiah (witness to Yah)
- These Tears Of Mother Nature, Anthony Edmond John
- Violence Fills The Earth, Bob Gotti
- carpe diem