Trust Poems - Poems For Trust
Poems about trust. You can read the best trust poems. Browse through all trust poems.
Oxytocin, The Moral Molecule - Poem by gershon hepner
OXYTOCIN, THE MORAL MOLECULE
If you find all the people whom you meet seem to be grossin'
you out you may have a deficiency of oxytocin,
a hormone empathy produces so that you can trust
the sort of feelings which a lack of it turns love to lust.
Without oxytocin nobody can be seduced
by love that's virtuous, you need the oxytocin boost
to bond with lovers, with whom you without it always quarrel:
The moral is this moral molecule makes people moral.
Paul J. Zak, Director of the Center for Neuroeconomics at Claremont Graduate University, who is also a Professor of Neurology at Loma Linda University, writes about oxytocin in the WSJ,4/28-29-12 ("The Trust Molecule") :
Why are some people trustworthy, while others lie, cheat and steal? Part of the answer may reside in a hormone called oxytocin. Claremont Graduate University's Paul Zak talks with WSJ's Gary Rosen about how a 'vampire wedding' helped him understand how this chemical works to control trust, empathy and virtue.
Could a single molecule—one chemical substance—lie at the very center of our moral lives?
Research that I have done over the past decade suggests that a chemical messenger called oxytocin accounts for why some people give freely of themselves and others are coldhearted louts, why some people cheat and steal and others you can trust with your life, why some husbands are more faithful than others, and why women tend to be nicer and more generous than men. In our blood and in the brain, oxytocin appears to be the chemical elixir that creates bonds of trust not just in our intimate relationships but also in our business dealings, in politics and in society at large…
More strikingly, we found that you don't need to shoot a chemical up someone's nose, or have sex with them, or even give them a hug in order to create the surge in oxytocin that leads to more generous behavior. To trigger this 'moral molecule, ' all you have to do is give someone a sign of trust. When one person extends himself to another in a trusting way—by, say, giving money—the person being trusted experiences a surge in oxytocin that makes her less likely to hold back and less likely to cheat. Which is another way of saying that the feeling of being trusted makes a person more…trustworthy. Which, over time, makes other people more inclined to trust, which in turn…
The experiments I have conducted show that many group activities—singing, dancing, praying—cause the release of oxytocin and promote connection and caring. As social creatures, we have created activities that prompt the expression of oxytocin in order to foster connection to others. In fact, those who release the most oxytocin when they are trusted are happier and healthier because they have richer social lives.
Even the sort of 'social snacking' that happens through Twitter or checking out a friend's Facebook page can prompt an oxytocin surge. But the real criterion for success is whether these online activities complement more substantial personal connections. Does this form of communication foster human bonds or does it foster anonymity and abstraction to the point of cutting off empathy?
Hi Gershon, wow! My work has never inspired a poem before. Very cool. thanks for sending it.
Comments about Oxytocin, The Moral Molecule by gershon hepner
Poems About Trust
- 1. Oxytocin, The Moral Molecule , gershon hepner
- 2. If This Is Meant , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 3. Fundamental Of Liar Chapter Xcvi: Faith , maria sudibyo
- 4. Trust With A , gajanan mishra
- 5. And Trust Me , gajanan mishra
- 6. Buddha At The Bodhi Tree (Sri Lanka) , sheena blackhall
- 7. Frustration , Bob Gotti
- 8. Would You Trust Assad? , Joe Rosochacki
- 9. People Who Believe , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 10. Swapnil Singh Hymn , Aldo Kraas
- 11. Trust , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 12. You Cant Find Love Trust Me , vincent armone
- 13. Never , Miroslava Odalovic
- 14. Trust. Not. , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 15. 'Lenexa Baptist Church = Trust In The Lo.. , Tom Zart
- 16. Trust.... , hazem al jaber
- 17. Trust Is On Hopes. , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 18. When I Trust , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 19. Our Words Are Not Funny , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 20. We Must Stick To Our Words , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 21. People , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 22. Love Is A Battlefield , Lilly Emery
- 23. Trust Without Doubt , Francis Duggan
- 24. How To Survive Without Riches , Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 25. Over With A Revolver , Ace Of Black Hearts
- 26. Do Not Trust , gajanan mishra
- 27. The Symbol Of Trust , Edward Kofi Louis
- 28. Christ Came , Bob Gotti
- 29. Love Will Find A Way , ivor or ivor.e hogg
- 30. Miss X , Francis Duggan
- 31. Trust Is Crust Like Skin , Is It Poetry
- 32. Trust , faheema Khalid
- 33. Cant Trust Neting @ All , Shilesha Johnson
- 34. Let The Trusting Trust~ Haiku , Charles Garcia
- 35. Trust In Me , Johnathan Butler
- 36. Trust In Me , Alicia Shute
- 37. Lies Love Pain , Michael Peterson
- 38. A Word On Trust , Justin Reamer
- 39. My Friends Poem 'Trust Me' , Jackie Thielman
- 40. Let Me Trust You, , maxpoet beauty
- 41. In Trusting My God... , MoonBee Canady
- 42. You Lost My Trust , Emily Corvinus
- 43. Sister To Sister , sandy clark
- 44. This Lack Of Trust , Nick Downer
- 45. Trust The Trust , Mahima Mandal
- 46. Trust , Samin Fatima
- 47. I Have A Heart You Betrayed , William Castillo
- 48. Love, Respect, Trust , LOUIS SHEFFIELD
- 49. Trust , Miss Agony in Love
- 50. Trust , Daniel Cameron
New Trust Poems
- Trust Not, Emmanuel chibuike ikechukwu
- Trust Faith In Raging Hormones, Terence George Craddock (aft ..
- Trust In Lust Is?, Terence George Craddock (aft ..
- Ironic Note, johnny case
- Trust, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Trust Me., Nikhil Parekh
- Trust, Daniel Cameron
- Trust, Julia Yusupova
- In Trusting My God..., MoonBee Canady
- Trust In The Unknown, Shaina Dudek
- carpe diem