Song Poems - Poems For Song
Poems about song. You can read the best song poems. Browse through all song poems.
Song To Be Sung By The Father Of Infant Female Children - Poem by Ogden Nash
My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky;
Contrariwise, my blood runs cold
When little boys go by.
For little boys as little boys,
No special hate I carry,
But now and then they grow to men,
And when they do, they marry.
No matter how they tarry,
Eventually they marry.
And, swine among the pearls,
They marry little girls.
Oh, somewhere, somewhere, an infant plays,
With parents who feed and clothe him.
Their lips are sticky with pride and praise,
But I have begun to loathe him.
Yes, I loathe with loathing shameless
This child who to me is nameless.
This bachelor child in his carriage
Gives never a thought to marriage,
But a person can hardly say knife
Before he will hunt him a wife.
I never see an infant (male),
A-sleeping in the sun,
Without I turn a trifle pale
And think is he the one?
Oh, first he'll want to crop his curls,
And then he'll want a pony,
And then he'll think of pretty girls,
And holy matrimony.
A cat without a mouse
Is he without a spouse.
Oh, somewhere he bubbles bubbles of milk,
And quietly sucks his thumbs.
His cheeks are roses painted on silk,
And his teeth are tucked in his gums.
But alas the teeth will begin to grow,
And the bubbles will cease to bubble;
Given a score of years or so,
The roses will turn to stubble.
He'll sell a bond, or he'll write a book,
And his eyes will get that acquisitive look,
And raging and ravenous for the kill,
He'll boldly ask for the hand of Jill.
This infant whose middle
Is diapered still
Will want to marry My daughter Jill.
Oh sweet be his slumber and moist his middle!
My dreams, I fear, are infanticiddle.
A fig for embryo Lohengrins!
I'll open all his safety pins,
I'll pepper his powder, and salt his bottle,
And give him readings from Aristotle.
Sand for his spinach I'll gladly bring,
And Tabasco sauce for his teething ring.
Then perhaps he'll struggle though fire and water
To marry somebody else's daughter.
Comments about Song To Be Sung By The Father Of Infant Female Children by Ogden Nash
Poems About Song
- 51. Song To Be Sung By The Father Of Infant .. , Ogden Nash
- 52. Song , John Donne
- 53. Song Of The Open Road , Ogden Nash
- 54. Song Of The Open Road , Walt Whitman
- 55. A Song Of A Young Lady To Her Ancient Lo.. , Lord John Wilmot
- 56. The Mad Gardener's Song , Lewis Carroll
- 57. Alabama Song , Bertolt Brecht
- 58. Drinking Song, On The Excellence Of Burg.. , Hilaire Belloc
- 59. Song For The Rainy Season , Elizabeth Bishop
- 60. A Boy's Song , James Hogg
- 61. April Song , Sara Teasdale
- 62. Song At Midnight , Lucille Clifton
- 63. Song , Alfred Noyes
- 64. Song Of Perfect Propriety , Dorothy Parker
- 65. An Evening Song. , Sidney Lanier
- 66. The Song Of Shadows , Walter de la Mare
- 67. A Song Of The Future. , Sidney Lanier
- 68. The Song Of Los , William Blake
- 69. A Home Song , Henry Van Dyke
- 70. Kilmeny (A Song Of The Trawlers) , Alfred Noyes
- 71. Song In A Minor Key , Dorothy Parker
- 72. Song Of The Son , Jean Toomer
- 73. A Counting-Out Song , Rudyard Kipling
- 74. One Song, America, Before I Go , Walt Whitman
- 75. Young Man's Song , William Butler Yeats
- 76. Love Song , William Butler Yeats
- 77. The Pelagian Drinking Song , Hilaire Belloc
- 78. Song , William Blake
- 79. Street Song , Thom Gunn
- 80. A Song Of Comfort , John McCrae
- 81. Harvest Song , Jean Toomer
- 82. Sky Song , Robert Desnos
- 83. Song Of The Moon , Claude McKay
- 84. Pippa's Song , Robert Browning
- 85. Song—Composed in Spring , Robert Burns
- 86. A Rajput Love Song , Sarojini Naidu
- 87. The Matin-Song Of Friar Tuck , Alfred Noyes
- 88. The Song Of Callicles , Matthew Arnold
- 89. The Song Of The Shirt , Thomas Hood
- 90. A School Song , Rudyard Kipling
- 91. Song At Sunset , Walt Whitman
- 92. A Song In Storm , Rudyard Kipling
- 93. Winter Song , Wilfred Owen
- 94. A Song , William Butler Yeats
- 95. Song On May Morning , John Milton
- 96. The Blindman's Song , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 97. Drinking Song , William Butler Yeats
- 98. Lucy Ashton's Song , Sir Walter Scott
- 99. A Pict Song , Rudyard Kipling
- 100. Drinking Song , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
New Song Poems
- I Am The Song I Sing, Mwihaki Kahiga
- The Song, Laura arwen
- The Song Of Respect Is The Song Of The A.., Raymond Sawyer
- Tagore's Song, Dr Ian Inkster
- Song Of Freedom!, Bakare Oluwagbenga Michael
- The Song Of Respect Is The Sng Of The An.., Raymond Sawyer
- Song For You, Paras Saxena
- The Death of Daphnis, Theocritus
- The Song That Fill The Air With Respect, Raymond Sawyer
- Life...A Song, abhilasha bhatt
- carpe diem