Soldier Poems - Poems For Soldier - Dirge For A Soldier
Poems about soldier. You can read the best soldier poems. Browse through all soldier poems.
Dirge For A Soldier - Poem by Paul Laurence Dunbar
In the east the morning comes,
Hear the rollin' of the drums
On the hill.
But the heart that beat as they beat
In the battle's raging day heat
Unto him the night has come,
Though they roll the morning drum.
What is in the bugle's blast?
It is: 'Victory at last!
Now for rest.'
But, my comrades, come behold him,
Where our colors now enfold him,
And his breast
Bares no more to meet the blade,
But lies covered in the shade.
What a stir there is to-day!
They are laying him away
Where he fell.
There the flag goes draped before him;
Now they pile the grave sod o'er him
With a knell.
And he answers to his name
In the higher ranks of fame.
There's a woman left to mourn
For the child that she has borne
But her heart beats high and higher,
With the patriot mother's fire,
At the tale.
She has borne and lost a son,
But her work and his are done.
Fling the flag out, let it wave;
They 're returning from the grave--
And the cymbals now are crashing,
Bright his comrades' eyes are flashing
From the thick
Battle-ranks which knew him brave,
No tears for a hero's grave.
In the east the morning comes,
Hear the rattle of the drums
Now no time for grief's pursuing,
Other work is for the doing,
He is sleeping, let him rest
With the flag across his breast.
Comments about Dirge For A Soldier by Paul Laurence Dunbar
Poems About Soldier
- 1. A Soldier , Robert Frost
- 2. 1914 V: The Soldier , Rupert Brooke
- 3. The Soldier , Robert Frost
- 4. A Mystic As Soldier , Siegfried Sassoon
- 5. Adieu To A Soldier , Walt Whitman
- 6. The Young British Soldier , Rudyard Kipling
- 7. The Soldier Fights , katie
- 8. The Fallen Soldier , Branden Hidalgo
- 9. Prayer Of A Soldier In France , Joyce Kilmer
- 10. Soldier An' Sailor Too , Rudyard Kipling
- 11. The Young Soldier , Wilfred Owen
- 12. Young Soldier , Only Yours
- 13. Unknown Soldier , Alf Hutchison
- 14. The Soldier (Memorial Day Memorial Day M.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 15. Soldier, Soldier , Rudyard Kipling
- 16. Soldier, Maiden, And Flower , Eugene Field
- 17. The Soldier , Gerard Manley Hopkins
- 18. God And The Soldier , Anonymous Americas
- 19. God And The Soldier , Anonymous
- 20. The Death Of A Soldier , Wallace Stevens
- 21. The Dumb Soldier , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 22. The Soldier , katie
- 23. A Tale From A Union Soldier , Jeff Fleischer
- 24. ! Soldier Vs Terrorists! , Rema Prasanaa
- 25. Soldier, Rest! Thy Warfare O'Er, , Sir Walter Scott
- 26. Soldier , Alf Hutchison
- 27. Soldier Freddy , Spike Milligan
- 28. Just A Soldier , Eleanor ...
- 29. Hello, Soldier! , Edward George Dyson
- 30. The Soldier , John Clare
- 31. A Soldier , Summer Sandercox
- 32. Soldier: Twentieth Century , Isaac Rosenberg
- 33. The Broken Soldier , Katharine Tynan
- 34. Any Soldier To His Son , Anonymous English
- 35. Taps For My Soldier , C.J. Heck
- 36. Dirge For A Soldier , Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 37. A Soldier , Denise Girod
- 38. The Wars And The Unknown Soldier , Conrad Potter Aiken
- 39. A Soldier Home From A War , David Harris
- 40. The Soldier Boy Lies Dying , Scarlett Treat
- 41. ! Soldier ! , GAYATRI NAMBIAR
- 42. A Soldier To America. , JOSE MURGUIA
- 43. The Young Soldier , Katharine Tynan
- 44. The Return Of The Soldier , Franklin Pierce Adams
- 45. Welcome Home Soldier , David Barlow
- 46. My Husband, My Soldier, My Hero, My Friend , Courtney Lane
- 47. Soldier Going To The War , Richard Le Gallienne
- 48. Oh! He's Nothing But A Soldier , Anonymous Americas
- 49. The Soldier , Leon Gellert
- 50. Soldier, Wake , Sir Walter Scott
New Soldier Poems
- Two Soldiers-A Play, Rohan Bendre
- November 4,2011, Felix Emeka George
- A Salute To The Indian Soldier, Veer Dhiman
- My Soldier Boy, EBOM TOBE CHURCHILL
- The Soldier of Mictlán, Rigoberto González
- Soldiers, Chukwukere Timothy
- The Tale Of The Lone Soldier, Tarakesh Govardhan
- My Dad, Pius Didier
- Yes I Am A Soldier, spandan dash
- Killer On The Road, John Castellenas
- carpe diem