Sleep Poems - Poems For Sleep
Poems about sleep. You can read the best sleep poems. Browse through all sleep poems.
Work Gangs - Poem by Carl Sandburg
Box cars run by a mile long.
And I wonder what they say to each other
When they stop a mile long on a sidetrack.
Maybe their chatter goes:
I came from Fargo with a load of wheat up to the danger line.
I came from Omaha with a load of shorthorns and they splintered my boards.
I came from Detroit heavy with a load of fivers.
I carried apples from the Hood river last year and this year bunches of bananas from Florida; they look for me with watermelons from Mississippi next year.
Hammers and shovels of work gangs sleep in shop corners
when the dark stars come on the sky and the night watchmen walk and look.
Then the hammer heads talk to the handles,
then the scoops of the shovels talk,
how the day’s work nicked and trimmed them,
how they swung and lifted all day,
how the hands of the work gangs smelled of hope.
In the night of the dark stars
when the curve of the sky is a work gang handle,
in the night on the mile long sidetracks,
in the night where the hammers and shovels sleep in corners,
the night watchmen stuff their pipes with dreams—
and sometimes they doze and don’t care for nothin’,
and sometimes they search their heads for meanings, stories, stars.
The stuff of it runs like this:
A long way we come; a long way to go; long rests and long deep sniffs for our lungs on the way.
Sleep is a belonging of all; even if all songs are old songs and the singing heart is snuffed out like a switchman’s lantern with the oil gone, even if we forget our names and houses in the finish, the secret of sleep is left us, sleep belongs to all, sleep is the first and last and best of all.
People singing; people with song mouths connecting with song hearts; people who must sing or die; people whose song hearts break if there is no song mouth; these are my people.
Comments about Work Gangs by Carl Sandburg
Poems About Sleep
- 51. Work Gangs , Carl Sandburg
- 52. The Iliad: Book 14 , Homer
- 53. The Sleepers , Walt Whitman
- 54. The Singing In God's Acre , Eugene Field
- 55. Night Song , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 56. Soldier, Rest! Thy Warfare O'Er, , Sir Walter Scott
- 57. Ere Sleep Comes Down To Soothe The Weary.. , Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 58. Obiit Mdcccxxxiii (Entire) , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 59. Lullaby , Edith Nesbit
- 60. The Magnetic Lady To Her Patient , Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 61. Ch 01 Manner Of Kings Story 12 , Saadi Shirazi
- 62. The Cenci : A Tragedy In Five Acts , Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 63. The Castle Of Indolence , James Thomson
- 64. Ilicet , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 65. A Mother's Lullaby , Valsa George
- 66. Remords Posthume (Posthumous Remorse) , Charles Baudelaire
- 67. Sleep , Russell Edson
- 68. The Brethren , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 69. Sleep Oh Blessed Sleep , Susan Alldred Lugton
- 70. Let The Night Sleep , Subbaraman N V
- 71. Sleep , Leigh Ladd
- 72. In Memory Of John Fairfax , Henry Kendall
- 73. Nightfall In Dordrecht , Eugene Field
- 74. The Broomfield Hill , Andrew Lang
- 75. The Hour Before Dawn , William Butler Yeats
- 76. A Rocking Hymn , George Wither
- 77. Serenade , Thomas Hood
- 78. Le Léthé (Lethe) , Charles Baudelaire
- 79. Lullaby , Harriet Monroe
- 80. The Life Of A Cat , Laurence Overmire
- 81. Sleep! Sleep! Sleep! , jerine james
- 82. Sleep, Sleep, My Sweet One Sleep , Emmanuel George Cefai
- 83. Battle Of Will & Exhaustion, Mother & Ch.. , Jenny Factor
- 84. 'He Giveth His Beloved Sleep' , Banjo Paterson
- 85. The Loving Shepherdess , Robinson Jeffers
- 86. Sleep , Khairul Ahsan
- 87. Sleep , Salmaan Sheriff
- 88. The Odyssey , Homer
- 89. Lullaby , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 90. The Hartley Calamity , Joseph Skipsey
- 91. Sleep Little Baby , Walterrean Salley
- 92. My Plight. , Bernard Shaw
- 93. My Angel, I Love To Watch You Sleep....... , Ravi Sathasivam
- 94. Lullaby , Arthur Henry Adams
- 95. Book Iv - Part 04 - Some Vital Functions , Lucretius
- 96. Can'T Sleep No More , Courtney Steele
- 97. Every Morning's Mourning. , Q. R. Gibson
- 98. Sleep , Hopeless Heart
- 99. When We Sleep... , merna ibrahim
- 100. (sleep) , Salmaan Sheriff
New Sleep Poems
- Innocent Sleep, Naveed Akram
- For One Who Sleep Shall Feel The Touch O.., Raymond Sawyer
- Don'T Sleep, Musa Gift Masombuka
- Sleep My Dear..., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Sleep Slowly, Emmanuel chibuike ikechukwu
- Sleep, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Blue Moon Orange, Eva Tortora
- No Sleep, Melissa K Vigna
- Self-Realization - An Irreversible Physi.., Varanasi Ramabrahmam
- Eternal Sleep, Steve Ricketts
- carpe diem