Sky Poems - Poems For Sky
Poems about sky. You can read the best sky poems. Browse through all sky poems.
Conscripts - Poem by Siegfried Sassoon
‘Fall in, that awkward squad, and strike no more
Attractive attitudes! Dress by the right!
The luminous rich colours that you wore
Have changed to hueless khaki in the night.
Magic? What’s magic got to do with you?
There’s no such thing! Blood’s red, and skies are blue.’
They gasped and sweated, marching up and down.
I drilled them till they cursed my raucous shout.
Love chucked his lute away and dropped his crown.
Rhyme got sore heels and wanted to fall out.
‘Left, right! Press on your butts!’ They looked at me
Reproachful; how I longed to set them free!
I gave them lectures on Defence, Attack;
They fidgeted and shuffled, yawned and sighed,
And boggled at my questions. Joy was slack,
And Wisdom gnawed his fingers, gloomy-eyed.
Young Fancy—how I loved him all the while—
Stared at his note-book with a rueful smile.
Their training done, I shipped them all to France,
Where most of those I’d loved too well got killed.
Rapture and pale Enchantment and Romance,
And many a sickly, slender lord who’d filled
My soul long since with lutanies of sin,
Went home, because they couldn’t stand the din.
But the kind, common ones that I despised
(Hardly a man of them I’d count as friend),
What stubborn-hearted virtues they disguised!
They stood and played the hero to the end,
Won gold and silver medals bright with bars,
And marched resplendent home with crowns and stars.
Comments about Conscripts by Siegfried Sassoon
New Sky Poems
- The Song Of Respect Is The Angel Of Resp.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Day The Sun Touch The Sky With Resp.., Raymond Sawyer
- Thus When It's Dark For The Angel Of Res.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Night The Moon Touch The Sky With Re.., Raymond Sawyer
- For When The Stars Touch The Sky With Re.., Raymond Sawyer
- Every Blue Sky Will Be Touch With Respect., Raymond Sawyer
- A Empty Heart Is A Heart That Wish For T.., Raymond Sawyer
- To Touch The Sky Is To Touch A Heart Wit.., Raymond Sawyer
- One Who Look To The Sky Thus One See The.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Night The Stars Fill The Sky For Th.., Raymond Sawyer
- carpe diem