Poem about retirement. You can read the best retirement poems. Browse through all retirement poems.
37.! Old Age Remembered
I never thought it would happen to me…
so, I wouldn’t have been reading this poem…
but now it seems it has. And now
I’m writing it. Or trying to. Big mistake?
So do I have
anything worth passing on?
You know, the Polonius Balonyus stuff:
If I were your age, boy,
this is what I’d be and do, yawn zzzz….
Let’s think instead, of some more lively head
in Sunday supplement style –
‘Old Age – Tragedy or Comedy? ’
It’s just so personal, and the only one
to really weigh it up is you. Or me.
I’m wiser, happier (on the happy days)
than ever in my life; but then, who cares?
Well, maybe one or two. On the other hand,
there are few illusions left;
would one have been glad
to have no illusions, at, say, twenty years of age?
Or, to be almost beyond pain, or pleasure,
or attachments of any sort -
this in some young man
taking his vows as monk,
would be a solemn commitment for a lifetime; but
when you’re old – easier or harder then to bear?
then, short-term memory shorter, long-term memory longer -
that's wonderful - provided you have no regrets...
the memories come flooding back
of just how happy, happy childhood is...
barely remembered now, how adolescence
is the most painful time of life...
To cut a long life-story short –
the comedy’s more comic; the tragedy’s more tragic.
So I wonder how Shakespeare, having studied both
and then thrown his books away,
living a comfortable (or was it?) Stratford retirement -
a spot of bowls, a friendly pub,
grandchildren, his or of his relatives,
to keep him young or tire him out or both -
I wonder what passed through his worldspanned mind
as he passed passing time? As his time passed? read more »
Hour by hour I sit and muse
in what way my brain to use.
Shall I write or shall I read
for such effort is there need read more »
39.Retiring for Final Writings
There's got to be another poem;
Perhaps a book or two.
I have ideas for writing them
By then I should be through. read more »
40.Stories Made Up
Retirement requires careful planning, I shall have to
keep quiet all the time; fine, it shall force me to write
when ideas keep flowing in my head, today in class
we learnt that French Kings – Clovis and Louis the read more »
41.# My Simple Award #
I was informed just lately
That I am among those to be called read more »
42.Position to hold
I never thought of resigning
And go for volunteer signing
To be off the scene at will
That was sure to receive mix feel read more »
43.Birdwatchers Of America
It’s all very well to dream of a dove that saves,
Picasso’s or the Pope’s,
The one that annually coos in Our Lady’s ear read more »
44.To James Norton Esq.
Think you I have not skill to gather gold,
If I could love it as some others do?
Or that I lack the spirit of a bold
And resolute man in any cause that’s true, read more »
45.Stepping up to Life
Do you ever stop and think about
The chapters of folks’ lives?
They started from absolutely nothing
Took on a husband or wife read more »
46.With No Resentment
The best part of the life is autumn
Sometimes we dislike and condemn
Later part of the life and curse too
But that is human mentality of course read more »
47.A whole new ball game.
The time had come for me to go and leave the world of work behind
I was not sure, did not know how I would occupy my mind
To fill the long hours of the day. I knew some things I’d like to try.
But work had left small time for play and now there s was no reason why. read more »
48.Works And Pensions
screaming to be heard
but nobody listens
to the man with no name read more »
New Retirement Poems
- Retirement, ramesh rai
- Position to hold, hasmukh amathalal
- A Chat By Brothers, Vinz Poetry
- The Spoils Of Retirement, david kush
- Retirement, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Jobless Asses And Horses, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Retirement, Toshie Nohara
- Works And Pensions, Dave Alan Walker
- Re-Renting Time, Jim Yerman
- My Ramshackle, GEORGE AMADI
- Family Ties, Tosin Abegunde
- 'Peace and Love' Tanka for Neil Young, Chenou Liu
- Nothing, Aparna Chatterjee
- Retirement, Chris Poythress
- SUPERANNUATION, vidyut chakraborty
- Age - a number to cumber, Noor Othman
- Time Rages At The Quiet Of My Soul, Shalom Freedman
- Silk-Washing Temple, Yu Xuanji
- The Ages of The Sea, Robert Rorabeck
- Retirement., Syed Anwar Yarkhan Jilani
- The Retiree's Lament, Mike Green
- And You Can Have It All, Danny Draper
- ! Old Happy Face!, Marvin Brato Sr
- Single Blessedness (Acrostic), Marvin Brato Sr
- Mine, Madman Poet
- Day and Age, Kaio Clark
- Happy Old Face, Marvin Brato Sr
- Retirement, Allen Brodell
- Poetic Tribute, Marvin Brato Sr
- Acrostic, Marvin Brato Sr
- Growin' Old, Carolyn Brunelle
- Stories Made Up, Margaret Alice Second
- Forty Plus Years, Eric Cockrell
- Retirement, Rose Angel H
- A Wife and Her Benefits, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Calling Minds, Naveed Akram
- Retirement Blues, Joy Thacker
- Don’t exit your grave., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 051011D Try Harder, Manonton Dalan
- 042811A antly life, Manonton Dalan
- 042111G behind traffic, Manonton Dalan
- EARLY Retirement, PINONDANG SITUMEANG
- WORKING FOR THE LORD, david kush
- Thank You Ma'am Leah, Bonnevie Barcelita Galindo
- 050710C worrisome economy-bail me out, Manonton Dalan
- old couple, RIC S. BASTASA
- 041010b when routine change, Manonton Dalan
- The Sting of Conscience, Mahmoodul Haque Sayed
- Signs Of Spring, Merle Steinmann
- We loved them now not, DICKSON MSETI
- Retiring for Final Writings, Frank V. Gardner
- General Fonseka’s entry into politics: I.., nimal dunuhinga
- Fursat, Always Aparna
- Eastbrook, Gill Moore
- vulnerability, Boghos Artinian
- Off Piste, Matthew Coombe
- Hilda's retirement., Ruth Street
- Investment brokers, Jim Norausky
- Be Garfield For More Than A Day, LaTisha Parkinson
- fade away, gershon hepner
- 'Pre-Retired', Linda Winchell
- Retirement, Amelia Evelyn White
- Retirement dreams, john tiong chunghoo
- .5. Pension in a State, David Threadgold www.david ..
- DIC, Herbert Nehrlich
- Dream, Daniel Trevelyn Joseph
- At Last, Carolyn Brunelle
- guilty, faith toney
- California Public Employees Pension, O Anna Niemus
- . Things They Never Told Me, Mary Havran
- The last of the sunny-sides-up, mark nwagwu
- *Retirement Plans, Ted Sheridan
- Retirement, mark nwagwu
- TAKE HIS ADVICE, Aldo Kraas
- carpe diem