Purple Poems - Poems For Purple
Poems about purple. You can read the best purple poems. Browse through all purple poems.
The House Of Dust: Part 02: 10: Sudden Death - Poem by Conrad Potter Aiken
'Number four—the girl who died on the table—
The girl with golden hair—'
The purpling body lies on the polished marble.
We open the throat, and lay the thyroid bare . . .
One, who held the ether-cone, remembers
Her dark blue frightened eyes.
He heard the sharp breath quiver, and saw her breast
More hurriedly fall and rise.
Her hands made futile gestures, she turned her head
Fighting for breath; her cheeks were flushed to scarlet,—
And, suddenly, she lay dead.
And all the dreams that hurried along her veins
Came to the darkness of a sudden wall.
Confusion ran among them, they whirled and clamored,
They fell, they rose, they struck, they shouted,
Till at last a pallor of silence hushed them all.
What was her name? Where had she walked that morning?
Through what dark forest came her feet?
Along what sunlit walls, what peopled street?
Backward he dreamed along a chain of days,
He saw her go her strange and secret ways,
Waking and sleeping, noon and night.
She sat by a mirror, braiding her golden hair.
She read a story by candlelight.
Her shadow ran before her along the street,
She walked with rhythmic feet,
Turned a corner, descended a stair.
She bought a paper, held it to scan the headlines,
Smiled for a moment at sea-gulls high in sunlight,
And drew deep breaths of air.
Days passed, bright clouds of days. Nights passed. And music
Murmured within the walls of lighted windows.
She lifted her face to the light and danced.
The dancers wreathed and grouped in moving patterns,
Clustered, receded, streamed, advanced.
Her dress was purple, her slippers were golden,
Her eyes were blue; and a purple orchid
Opened its golden heart on her breast . . .
She leaned to the surly languor of lazy music,
Leaned on her partner's arm to rest.
The violins were weaving a weft of silver,
The horns were weaving a lustrous brede of gold,
And time was caught in a glistening pattern,
Time, too elusive to hold . . .
Shadows of leaves fell over her face,—and sunlight:
She turned her face away.
Nearer she moved to a crouching darkness
With every step and day.
Death, who at first had thought of her only an instant,
At a great distance, across the night,
Smiled from a window upon her, and followed her slowly
From purple light to light.
Once, in her dreams, he spoke out clearly, crying,
'I am the murderer, death.
I am the lover who keeps his appointment
At the doors of breath!'
She rose and stared at her own reflection,
Half dreading there to find
The dark-eyed ghost, waiting beside her,
Or reaching from behind
To lay pale hands upon her shoulders . . .
Or was this in her mind? . . .
She combed her hair. The sunlight glimmered
Along the tossing strands.
Was there a stillness in this hair,—
A quiet in these hands?
Death was a dream. It could not change these eyes,
Blow out their light, or turn this mouth to dust.
She combed her hair and sang. She would live forever.
Leaves flew past her window along a gust . . .
And graves were dug in the earth, and coffins passed,
And music ebbed with the ebbing hours.
And dreams went along her veins, and scattering clouds
Threw streaming shadows on walls and towers.
Comments about The House Of Dust: Part 02: 10: Sudden Death by Conrad Potter Aiken
Poems About Purple
- 1. The House Of Dust: Part 02: 10: Sudden D.. , Conrad Potter Aiken
- 2. Purple , Brooke Audino
- 3. Words In The Night , George MacDonald
- 4. My Feathered Friend , Shihabudheen K J
- 5. ****my Imagination Of A Purple Sky**** , Premila Patel
- 6. / All Hail To The Purple Race , Janri Gogeshvili
- 7. The Battle Of The Lake Regillus , Thomas Babbington Macaulay
- 8. Color Blind , Ben Gieske
- 9. Y/. Purple , Aufie Zophy
- 10. The Culprit Fay , Joseph Rodman Drake
- 11. What Is Purple? , Kylee Bartz
- 12. The Odyssey , Homer
- 13. An Indian Summer Reverie , James Russell Lowell
- 14. A Lovely Lavender Day , Margaret Alice
- 15. The Shell , Isabella Valancy Crawford
- 16. Purple Song , Siddartha Pamulaparty
- 17. Neæra’s Wreath , Victor James Daley
- 18. When I Die , Joey Smith
- 19. The Helot , Isabella Valancy Crawford
- 20. The Troubadour. Canto 2 , Letitia Elizabeth Landon
- 21. The Grammar Lesson , Steve Kowit
- 22. Writing The Book I Never Wrote(For Linda) , Dónall Dempsey
- 23. Wait For Me , Herbert Nehrlich
- 24. The Nuts Of Knowledge , George William Russell
- 25. Purple Rain , Juan Olivarez
- 26. Purple , Ahmad Shiddiqi
- 27. Alien Script (Inspired By The Book Of Da.. , Daniel Brick
- 28. The Crocus , Joseph T. Renaldi
- 29. Dyer Dawn , seth kennedy
- 30. Purple Forest , Summer Song
- 31. Jacaranda , Juan Olivarez
- 32. Juice , AM Juster
- 33. I Behold A Purple Cloud , Juan Olivarez
- 34. Drugs, Guns, Stupidity.................... , DAVID GERARDINO
- 35. Late Spring , Han Yu
- 36. Purple , Baby Girl
- 37. The Trip , Vincent Dali
- 38. Walking The Rainbow , elysabeth faslund
- 39. A Glassy Home For Us , Sossi Khachadourian
- 40. Purple Suns , A.J. McKinley
- 41. Peace, Little Girl, Peace. , Mia Ocean
- 42. Drinking , Poetheart Morgan
- 43. The Color Purple , RIC S. BASTASA
- 44. Under The Purple Flowers , Nhuan LeXuan
- 45. A Baby With His Whiskers On (Fun Poem 115) , David Harris
- 46. Tennants Anster Fair , Joseph Rodman Drake
- 47. Colour Poem: Purple , Philippa Lane
- 48. Purple....[humor; Short] , Bri Edwards
- 49. The Wind Sings Welcome In Early Spring , Carl Sandburg
- 50. If Purple Could Heal You , Tameka Callaway
New Purple Poems
- Purple Patch, Aishaf Rehman
- Shades Of Purple, Elise Colon
- Purple Doom!, David Lewis Paget
- Check Your Heart, Edward Kofi Louis
- Spirit, M.J. Lemon
- Upon The Mighty Raging Sea - The Starman, Saparonia Kathleen Holliday
- Deep Purple Ii, Edward Kofi Louis
- Purple Rains, Jeremy Fadollone
- Purple Flowers, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- We Wear Purple Robes, Echezonachukwu Nduka
- carpe diem