Music Poems - Poems For Music - Celestial Music
Poems about music. You can read the best music poems. Browse through all music poems.
Celestial Music - Poem by Louise Gluck
I have a friend who still believes in heaven.
Not a stupid person, yet with all she knows, she literally talks to God.
She thinks someone listens in heaven.
On earth she's unusually competent.
Brave too, able to face unpleasantness.
We found a caterpillar dying in the dirt, greedy ants crawling over it.
I'm always moved by disaster, always eager to oppose vitality
But timid also, quick to shut my eyes.
Whereas my friend was able to watch, to let events play out
According to nature. For my sake she intervened
Brushing a few ants off the torn thing, and set it down
Across the road.
My friend says I shut my eyes to God, that nothing else explains
My aversion to reality. She says I'm like the child who
Buries her head in the pillow
So as not to see, the child who tells herself
That light causes sadness-
My friend is like the mother. Patient, urging me
To wake up an adult like herself, a courageous person-
In my dreams, my friend reproaches me. We're walking
On the same road, except it's winter now;
She's telling me that when you love the world you hear celestial music:
Look up, she says. When I look up, nothing.
Only clouds, snow, a white business in the trees
Like brides leaping to a great height-
Then I'm afraid for her; I see her
Caught in a net deliberately cast over the earth-
In reality, we sit by the side of the road, watching the sun set;
From time to time, the silence pierced by a birdcall.
It's this moment we're trying to explain, the fact
That we're at ease with death, with solitude.
My friend draws a circle in the dirt; inside, the caterpillar doesn't move.
She's always trying to make something whole, something beautiful, an image
Capable of life apart from her.
We're very quiet. It's peaceful sitting here, not speaking, The composition
Fixed, the road turning suddenly dark, the air
Going cool, here and there the rocks shining and glittering-
It's this stillness we both love.
The love of form is a love of endings.
Comments about Celestial Music by Louise Gluck
Poems About Music
- 1. I Am In Need Of Music , Elizabeth Bishop
- 2. Dirge Without Music , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 3. Celestial Music , Louise Gluck
- 4. Music , Walter de la Mare
- 5. Music Swims Back To Me , Anne Sexton
- 6. Ancient Music , Ezra Pound
- 7. I Know The Music , Wilfred Owen
- 8. Broken Music , Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- 9. Music, When Soft Voices Die , Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 10. We Are The Music-Makers , Arthur William Edgar O'Shaug ..
- 11. What Is Music To You? , Sylvia Chidi
- 12. (1) Before The Music Ends , Sandra Fowler
- 13. Sonnet 128: How Oft, When Thou, My Music.. , William Shakespeare
- 14. Bagpipe Music , Louis Macneice
- 15. Music , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 16. Music , Frank O'Hara
- 17. At A Solemn Music , John Milton
- 18. April Music , s./j. goldner
- 19. Words For Music Perhaps , William Butler Yeats
- 20. The Music , Kathryn Thompson
- 21. To Music , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 22. On Music , Thomas Moore
- 23. Sonnet 8: Music To Hear, Why Hear'st Tho.. , William Shakespeare
- 24. Secret Music , Siegfried Sassoon
- 25. Music , Wilfred Owen
- 26. That Music Always Round Me , Walt Whitman
- 27. Call It Music , Philip Levine
- 28. Church Music , George Herbert
- 29. Better—than Music! For I—who Heard It , Emily Dickinson
- 30. Alexander's Feast; Or, The Power Of Music , John Dryden
- 31. The Choir And Music Of Solitude And Sile.. , Delmore Schwartz
- 32. Away With Funeral Music , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 33. Music I Heard , Conrad Potter Aiken
- 34. From Spring Days To Winter (For Music) , Oscar Wilde
- 35. Music , .Pd. is here
- 36. Proud Music Of The Storm , Walt Whitman
- 37. To The One Of Fictive Music , Wallace Stevens
- 38. Italian Music In Dakota , Walt Whitman
- 39. Song And Music , Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- 40. There Is A Lady Sweet And Kind, Thomas F.. , Anonymous
- 41. Master Of Music , Henry Van Dyke
- 42. Perplexed Music , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 43. Five For Country Music , Lisel Mueller
- 44. ! ! Impressionism In Paint, In Music, In.. , Michael Shepherd
- 45. Music , Arthur Seymour John Tessimond
- 46. Music: An Ode , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 47. Sing -- Sing -- Music Was Given , Thomas Moore
- 48. War-Music , Henry Van Dyke
- 49. Music To Me Is Like Days , Les Murray
- 50. Storm-Music , Henry Van Dyke
New Music Poems
- Music, Aphelele Tengile
- My Music, Laura arwen
- If You Cut A Tree; You Cut Your Own Moth.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 2 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- When The Rythem Of Music Changes, Even D.., Preston Mwiinga
- Music: The Food For Life, Nikhil Parekh
- Music For Me, Diane Catherine Kordas
- Music: A Divine Art, Thilliar Varnakulasingham
- To Feel The Music Is Like Feeling The To.., Raymond Sawyer
- Music Has, jack phillips
- carpe diem