Marriage Poems - Poems For Marriage
Poems about marriage. You can read the best marriage poems. Browse through all marriage poems.
To Songs At The Marriage Of The Lord Fauconberg And The Lady Mary Cromwell - Poem by Andrew Marvell
[Chorus. Endymion. Luna.]
Th' Astrologers own Eyes are set,
And even Wolves the Sheep forget;
Only this Shepherd, late and soon,
Upon this Hill outwakes the Moon.
Heark how he sings, with sad delight,
Thorough the clear and silent Night.
Cynthia, O Cynthia, turn thine Ear,
nor scorn Endymions plaints to hear.
As we our Flocks, so you command
The fleecy Clouds with silver wand.
If thou a Mortal, rather sleep;
Or if a Shepherd, watch thy Sheep.
The Shepherd, since he saw thine Eyes,
And Sheep are both thy Sacrifice.
Nor merits he a Mortal's name,
That burns with an immortal Flame.
I have enough for me to do,
Ruling the Waves that Ebb and Flow.
Since thou disdain'st not then to share
On Sublunary things thy Care;
Rather restrain these double Seas,
Mine Eyes uncessant deluges.
My wakeful Lamp all night must move,
Securing their Repose above.
If therefore thy resplendent Ray
Can make a Night more bright then Day;
Shine thorough this obscurer Brest,
With shades of deep Despair opprest.
Courage, Endymion, boldly Woo,
Anchises was a Shepheard too:
Yet is her younger Sister laid
Sporting with him in Ida's shade:
And Cynthia, though the strongest,
Seeks but the honour to have held out longest.
Here unto Latmos Top I climbe:
How far below thine Orbe sublime?
O why, as well as Eyes to see,
Have I not Armes that reach to thee?
'Tis needless then that I refuse,
Would you but your own Reason use.
Though I so high may not pretend,
It is the same so you descend.
These Stars would say I do them wrong,
Rivals each one for thee too strong.
The Stars are fix'd unto their Sphere,
And cannot, though they would, come near.
Less Loves set of each others praise,
While Stars Eclypse by mixing Rayes.
That Cave is dark.
Then none can spy:
Or shine Thou there and 'tis the Sky.
Joy to Endymion,
For he has Cynthia's favour won.
And Jove himself approves
With his serenest influence their Loves.
For he did never love to pair
His Progeny above the Air;
But to be honest, valiant, wise,
Makes Mortals matches fit for Deityes.
[Hobbinol. Phillis. Tomalin.]
Phillis, Tomalin, away:
Never such a merry day.
For the Northern Shepheards Son
Has Menalca's daughter won.
Stay till I some flow'rs ha'ty'd
In a Garland for the Bride.
If Thou would'st a Garland bring,
Philiis you may wait the Spring:
They ha' chosen such an hour
When She is the only flow'r.
Let's not then at least be seen
Without each a Sprig of Green.
Fear not; at Menalca's Hall
There is Bayes enough for all.
He when Young as we did graze,
But when Old he planted Bayes.
Here She comes; but with a Look
Far more catching then my Hook.
'Twas those Eyes, I now dare swear,
Led our Lambs we knew not where.
Not our Lambs own Fleeces are
Curl'd so lovely as her Hair:
Nor our Sheep new Wash'd can be
Half so white or sweet as She.
He so looks as fit to keep
Somewhat else then silly Sheep.
Come, lets in some Carol new
Pay to Love and Them their due.
Joy to that happy Pair,
Whose Hopes united banish our Despair.
What Shepheard could for Love pretend,
Whil'st all the Nymphs on Damon's choice attend?
What Shepherdess could hope to wed
Before Marina's turn were sped?
Now lesser Beauties may take place,
And meaner Virtues come in play;
Looking from high,
Our Flocks and us with a propitious Eye.
But what is most, the gentle Swain
No more shall need of Love complain;
But Virtue shall be Beauties hire,
And those be equal that have equal Fire.
Or who despair, now Damon does enjoy?
Marina yields. Who dares be coy?
Joy to that happy Pair,
Whose Hopes united banish our Despair.
Comments about To Songs At The Marriage Of The Lord Fauconberg And The Lady Mary Cromwell by Andrew Marvell
Poems About Marriage
- 51. To Songs At The Marriage Of The Lord Fau.. , Andrew Marvell
- 52. Death Of A Marriage , C.J. Heck
- 53. Freedom In Your Marriage? , Richard Merrell
- 54. Epithalamium: A Marriage Poem , Henry Livingston Jr.
- 55. Marriage Songs , George MacDonald
- 56. Given In Marriage Unto Thee , Emily Dickinson
- 57. Autumn Begets Spring- Hilda's Marriage D.. , Lonnie Hicks
- 58. To One Persuading A Lady To Marriage , Katherine Philips
- 59. Tomorrow Is The Marriage Day , Thomas Weelkes
- 60. A Marriage Of Words And Thought , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 61. Marriage Is , Ravi Sathasivam
- 62. On Marriage , Richard Crashaw
- 63. On The Earl Of Oxford And Mortimer's Giv.. , Mary Barber
- 64. Marriage , Donna McCord
- 65. Advice From My First Marriage , elysabeth faslund
- 66. ' The Marriage Of Heaven & Hell , Doral Deepset
- 67. The Marriage Of Sir Gawaine , Anonymous Olde English
- 68. The Marriage Of Tirzah And Ahirad , Thomas Babbington Macaulay
- 69. For Anniversary Marriage-Days , George Wither
- 70. Birth, Marriage, Obituaries And Newspape.. , Scarlett Treat
- 71. Portrait Of A Marriage , gershon hepner
- 72. Marriage Morn. , Robert Crawford
- 73. Marriage For Money? , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 74. On Marriage. , Robert Crawford
- 75. A Good Marriage , Dianna Nally
- 76. Wishing You A Blissful Marriage , Sulaiman Mohd Yusof
- 77. Marriage: Stages To Be Fololwed , Mahfooz Ali
- 78. (105) (Meera) The Marriage Talk , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 79. Love And Marriage , David Keig
- 80. A Marriage Made In Heaven , Tameeka Smith
- 81. Marriage And Love , Dennisa Davidson
- 82. Janet Jackson’s View Of Marriage, Its Ju.. , Joe Rosochacki
- 83. Sonnet: Marriage Is Forever , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 84. A Marriage , Carolyn Brunelle
- 85. Siddhartha's Marriage , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 86. Stanzas - To The Memory Of An Agreeable .. , William Shenstone
- 87. The Marriage Of Sir Gawaine , Thomas Percy
- 88. On The Marriage Of His Royal Highness Fr.. , Richard Owen Cambridge
- 89. La Dispenza Der Madrimonio (The Marriage.. , Giuseppe Gioacchino Belli
- 90. Rules For A Marriage , Max Reif
- 91. What Those Marriage Worth, I Am Already .. , Sambidhan Acharya
- 92. A Brief Note On Marriage! , Ramesh T A
- 93. Marriage , Mohammad Muzzammil
- 94. In A Marriage Certificate , Chris Tusa
- 95. Marriage Announcement , Almedia Knight Oliver
- 96. To A Lady Before Marriage , Thomas Tickell
- 97. Marriage Supper With Our Lord! , Patricia Martin
- 98. ‘happy Marriage Anniversary! ’ , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 99. Marriage , Sallie Howson
- 100. Marriage Mission , Cephas Rotimi Oluwaseyitan
New Marriage Poems
- Child Abuse, Preston Mwiinga
- Marriage Cauldron, John Sensele
- Marriage Voyage, John Sensele
- Curry Of Marriage, John Sensele
- My Pledge Is My Marriage, lucifer very very very 1st
- The Womb - Poems On Mother, Father, Chil.., Nikhil Parekh
- You Die; I Die - Love Poems - Part 16, Nikhil Parekh
- You Die; I Die - Love Poems - Part 5, Nikhil Parekh
- Monoku- 134 (Marriage- 2), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Monoku- 133 (Marriage), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- carpe diem