Hunting Poems - Poems For Hunting
Poems about hunting. You can read the best hunting poems. Browse through all hunting poems.
Done For - Poem by Rose Terry Cooke
A WEEK ago to-day, when red-haired Sally
DOWN to the sugar-camp came to see me,
I saw her checked frock coming down the valley,
Far as anybody’s eyes could see.
Now I sit before the camp-fire,
And I can’t see the pine-knots blaze,
Nor Sally’s pretty face a-shining,
Though I hear the good words she says.
A week ago to-night I was tired and lonely,
Sally was gone back to Mason’s fort,
And the boys by the sugar-kettles left me only;
They were hunting coons for sport.
By there snaked a painted Pawnee,
I was asleep before the fire;
He creased my two eyes with his hatchet,
And scalped me to his heart’s desire.
There they found me on the dry tussocks lying,
Bloody and cold as a live man could be;
A hoot-owl on the branches overhead was crying,
Crying murder to the red Pawnee.
They brought me to the camp-fire,
They washed me in the sweet white spring;
But my eyes were full of flashes,
And all night my ears would sing.
I thought I was a hunter on the prairie,
But they saved me for an old blind dog;
When the hunting-grounds are cool and airy,
I shall lie here like a helpless log.
I can’t ride the little wiry pony,
That scrambles over hills high and low;
I can’t set my traps for the cony,
Or bring down the black buffalo.
I ’m no better than a rusty, bursted rifle,
And I don’t see signs of any other trail;
Here by the camp-fire blaze I lie and stifle,
And hear Jim fill the kettles with his pail.
It ’s no use groaning. I like Sally,
But a Digger squaw would n’t have me!
I wish they had n’t found me in the valley,—
It ’s twice dead not to see!
Comments about Done For by Rose Terry Cooke
Poems About Hunting
- 101. Done For , Rose Terry Cooke
- 102. **tomorrow........Won'T Come , POOJA LADYLUCK
- 103. The Muses Threnodie: Seventh Muse , Henry Adamson
- 104. 'Hunting Season Is Open' , Linda Winchell
- 105. S/Haiku Poem Hunter , Ken e Hall
- 106. In Tall Grass , Carl Sandburg
- 107. Why Deer Hunting Is Special To Me , Roger Horsch
- 108. Hunting With Dad , Garrett Hager
- 109. Hunter , Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- 110. Deer Hunting , Randy Johnson
- 111. Sweet Addiction Of Ours , Florida Angel
- 112. I Shot Myself , Kim Barney
- 113. Hunting Trouble Hunting Victims , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 114. Oldman , Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- 115. An Amazing Giraffe (Daga Dream 04iii08) , Maria Barbara Korynt
- 116. The Deer-Star (A Paiute Legend) , Mary Austin
- 117. A Job Well Done , ivor or ivor.e hogg
- 118. Border Patrol , Denis Martindale
- 119. Rabbit Hunting , Raj Thampi
- 120. Limerick-The Great Hunter-4 , loke kok yee
- 121. Limerick-The Great Hunter-6 , loke kok yee
- 122. Limerick-The Great Hunter-8 , loke kok yee
- 123. The Forest Greeting , Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 124. Hunting , Naveed Akram
- 125. Hunting , Kevin Seales
- 126. Tundra Wolf Eats Wild Joy Life Survival , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 127. Song—the Bonie Moor-Hen , Robert Burns
- 128. Three Jolly Huntsmen , Jessie Pope
- 129. The Pretty Games Inside Patos Orchard , MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 130. Zz Ohio: Reasons To Vote Out Kasich , Saiom Shriver
- 131. The Fugitive. (Tartar Song, From The Pro.. , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 132. Limerick-The Great Hunter-12 , loke kok yee
- 133. Mythologies , Irene Mitchell
- 134. Limerick-The Great Hunter-2 , loke kok yee
- 135. Limerick-The Great Hunter-3 , loke kok yee
- 136. Zz Shakespeare's Animal And Plant Rights.. , Saiom Shriver
- 137. In Old Claraghatlea When I Was A Young Boy , Francis Duggan
- 138. Rattlesnake's Chant To The Hunting Bird , Robert Rorabeck
- 139. 'Bedtime Story' , Linda Winchell
- 140. Fox Hunting Is Banned In Britain , Francis Duggan
- 141. Red-Headed Restaurant Cashier , Carl Sandburg
- 142. Oblivion, The Blessed. , Tajudeen Shah
- 143. Sex Education , Donna Pelan
- 144. Death Of The Deer (Nicolae Labis) , Paul Abucean
- 145. Dog Soldier Lodge Affirmed , Terence George Craddock (Spe ..
- 146. The Master Of Hounds , David Lewis Paget
- 147. Hunting Poetry-Haiku , Marieta Maglas
- 148. Cheetah Sunset , Denis Martindale
- 149. At The Hunting Lodge , Gert Strydom
- 150. Arctic Beauty , Denis Martindale
New Hunting Poems
- No Life Is Holy., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- If I Say That I'M Sorry, John Gabriel
- Cozy Was His Name, Donal Mahoney
- Cecil, Melissa Furey
- Zz Worldwide Animal Rights Movement Rea.., Saiom Shriver
- Fallen Tooth., Toshie Nohara
- Cut Down Population To Cut Down Crimes, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Cut Down Population., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Daruwalla's Hawk, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Song—the Bonie Moor-Hen, Robert Burns
- carpe diem