Horse Poems - Poems For Horse
Poems about horse. You can read the best horse poems. Browse through all horse poems.
The Ballad Of The Drover - Poem by Henry Lawson
Across the stony ridges,
Across the rolling plain,
Young Harry Dale, the drover,
Comes riding home again.
And well his stock-horse bears him,
And light of heart is he,
And stoutly his old pack-horse
Is trotting by his knee.
Up Queensland way with cattle
He travelled regions vast;
And many months have vanished
Since home-folk saw him last.
He hums a song of someone
He hopes to marry soon;
And hobble-chains and camp-ware
Keep jingling to the tune.
Beyond the hazy dado
Against the lower skies
And yon blue line of ranges
The homestead station lies.
And thitherward the drover
Jogs through the lazy noon,
While hobble-chains and camp-ware
Are jingling to a tune.
An hour has filled the heavens
With storm-clouds inky black;
At times the lightning trickles
Around the drover's track;
But Harry pushes onward,
His horses' strength he tries,
In hope to reach the river
Before the flood shall rise.
The thunder from above him
Goes rolling o'er the plain;
And down on thirsty pastures
In torrents falls the rain.
And every creek and gully
Sends forth its little flood,
Till the river runs a banker,
All stained with yellow mud.
Now Harry speaks to Rover,
The best dog on the plains,
And to his hardy horses,
And strokes their shaggy manes;
`We've breasted bigger rivers
When floods were at their height
Nor shall this gutter stop us
From getting home to-night!'
The thunder growls a warning,
The ghastly lightnings gleam,
As the drover turns his horses
To swim the fatal stream.
But, oh! the flood runs stronger
Than e'er it ran before;
The saddle-horse is failing,
And only half-way o'er!
When flashes next the lightning,
The flood's grey breast is blank,
And a cattle dog and pack-horse
Are struggling up the bank.
But in the lonely homestead
The girl will wait in vain --
He'll never pass the stations
In charge of stock again.
The faithful dog a moment
Sits panting on the bank,
And then swims through the current
To where his master sank.
And round and round in circles
He fights with failing strength,
Till, borne down by the waters,
The old dog sinks at length.
Across the flooded lowlands
And slopes of sodden loam
The pack-horse struggles onward,
To take dumb tidings home.
And mud-stained, wet, and weary,
Through ranges dark goes he;
While hobble-chains and tinware
Are sounding eerily.
. . . . .
The floods are in the ocean,
The stream is clear again,
And now a verdant carpet
Is stretched across the plain.
But someone's eyes are saddened,
And someone's heart still bleeds
In sorrow for the drover
Who sleeps among the reeds.
Comments about The Ballad Of The Drover by Henry Lawson
Poems About Horse
- 51. The Ballad Of The Drover , Henry Lawson
- 52. Cavalier Tunes: Boot And Saddle , Robert Browning
- 53. The Old Timer's Steeplechase , Banjo Paterson
- 54. Marshall's Mate , Henry Lawson
- 55. Anastasia & Sandman , Larry Levis
- 56. Ye Carpette Knyghte , Lewis Carroll
- 57. Pelleas And Ettarre , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 58. Horse And Rider , Horse Poet
- 59. The Iliad: Book 23 , Homer
- 60. The Wargeilah Handicap , Banjo Paterson
- 61. Ballad Of The Drover , Henry Lawson
- 62. Tamar , Robinson Jeffers
- 63. Thurso’s Landing , Robinson Jeffers
- 64. Fragments - Lines 1267 - 1270 , Theognis
- 65. My Horse And Me , Kathleen West
- 66. Good Cheer , Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
- 67. Ashtaroth: A Dramatic Lyric , Adam Lindsay Gordon
- 68. Mother And Sphinx , Eugene Field
- 69. The Battle Of Culloden , William Topaz McGonagall
- 70. Battle Of Hastings - I , Thomas Chatterton
- 71. Wish Me Luck! , Geetha Jayakumar
- 72. Marshal Neigh, V.C. , Edward George Dyson
- 73. Horse Play , Ayyappa Paniker
- 74. Mazeppa , George Gordon Byron
- 75. Bare-Back Rider (A Lucid Dream) , Sonya Florentino
- 76. A Hidden Life , George MacDonald
- 77. The Knight's Leap: A Legend Of Altenar , Charles Kingsley
- 78. The Sacrifice Of Er-Heb , Rudyard Kipling
- 79. A Cow , Mr. Bean
- 80. Orlando Furioso Canto 1 , Ludovico Ariosto
- 81. Antara , Wilfrid Scawen Blunt
- 82. The Wild Huntsman , Sir Walter Scott
- 83. Abu Midjan , George MacDonald
- 84. Give Your Heart To The Hawks , Robinson Jeffers
- 85. .... , RIC S. BASTASA
- 86. The Wanderings Of Oisin: Book Iii , William Butler Yeats
- 87. Kingsborough , Henry Kendall
- 88. A Cowboy’s Tale , Sidi J. Mahtrow
- 89. The Lord Of The Isles: Canto Vi. , Sir Walter Scott
- 90. Horse Limerick I , Ivy Schex
- 91. Orlando Furioso Canto 22 , Ludovico Ariosto
- 92. ***horse Draws Man A Cow , Sylvi Sylva
- 93. The Secret Of Being A Cowboy , Catherynne M. Valente
- 94. Enniskillen , Alice Guerin Crist
- 95. Uncle Ned’s Tales: How The Flag Was Saved , John Boyle O'Reilly
- 96. The Loving Shepherdess , Robinson Jeffers
- 97. As I Sit Upon My Horse , Horse Poet
- 98. Me & My Horse , Horse Lover
- 99. The Magnificent , Jean De La Fontaine
- 100. Aaaaa Horses Are Heroes , S.zaynub Kamoonpuri
New Horse Poems
- Horse, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ride Your Horse Baby, Dorsey Baker
- Horse's Adventure, Jason Bredle
- A Horse Story, oskar hansen
- The Song On Prophetic Oleg Alexander Ser.., Yuri Starostin
- Girl (Three) And The Black Horse, Rg Gregory
- The Poor Horse, Bireswar Halder
- Horses, Rhea Badhwar
- White Horses, Eleanor Farjeon
- King Of The Dung Heap!, Mark Heathcote
- carpe diem