Hope Poems - Poems For Hope - A Pastoral Ballad Ii: Hope
Poems about hope. You can read the best hope poems. Browse through all hope poems.
A Pastoral Ballad Ii: Hope - Poem by William Shenstone
My banks they are furnish'd with bees,
Whose murmur invites one to sleep;
My grottos are shaded with trees,
And my hills are white-over with sheep.
I seldom have met with a loss,
Such health do my fountains bestow;
My fountains all border'd with moss,
Where the hare-bells and violets grow.
Not a pine in my grove is there seen,
But with tendrils of woodbine is bound:
Not a beech's more beautiful green,
But a sweet-briar entwines it around.
Not my fields, in the prime of the year,
More charms than my cattle unfold;
Not a brook that is limpid and clear,
But it glitters with fishes of gold.
One would think she might like to retire
To the bow'r I have labour'd to rear;
Not a shrub that I heard her admire,
But I hasted and planted it there.
O how sudden the jessamine strove
With the lilac to render it gay!
Already it calls for my love,
To prune the wild branches away.
From the plains, from the woodlands and groves,
What strains of wild melody flow!
How the nightingales warble their loves
From thickets of roses that blow!
And when her bright form shall appear,
Each bird shall harmoniously join
In a concert so soft and so clear,
As -- she may not be fond to resign.
I have found out a gift for my fair;
I have found where the wood-pigeons breed:
But let me that plunder forbear,
She will say 'twas a barbarous deed.
For he ne'er could be true, she aver'd,
Who could rob a poor bird of its young:
And I lov'd her the more, when I heard
Such tenderness fall from her tongue.
I have heard her with sweetness unfold
How that pity was due to -- a dove:
That it ever attended the bold;
And she call'd it the sister of love.
But her words such a pleasure convey,
So much I her accents adore,
Let her speak, and whatever she say,
Methinks I should love her the more.
Can a bosom so gentle remain
Unmov'd, when her Corydon sighs!
Will a nymph that is fond of the plain,
These plains and this valley despise?
Dear regions of silence and shade!
Soft scenes of contentment and ease!
Where I could have pleasingly stray'd,
If aught, in her absence, could please.
But where does my Phyllida stray?
And where are her grots and her bow'rs?
Are the groves and the valleys as gay,
And the shepherds as gentle as ours?
The groves may perhaps be as fair,
And the face of the valleys as fine;
The swains may in manners compare,
But their love is not equal to mine.
Comments about A Pastoral Ballad Ii: Hope by William Shenstone
Poems About Hope
- 1. Hope Is The Thing With Feathers , Emily Dickinson
- 2. To Hope , John Keats
- 3. The Hope Of My Heart , John McCrae
- 4. Hope , Emily Jane Brontë
- 5. Hope Is A Tattered Flag , Carl Sandburg
- 6. Hope , Randall Jarrell
- 7. Work Without Hope , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 8. Hope Holds To Christ , Gerard Manley Hopkins
- 9. Evelyn Hope , Robert Browning
- 10. The Instinct Of Hope , John Clare
- 11. Oh, They Have Robbed Me Of The Hope , Anne Brontë
- 12. Dare I Hope? , Sophia White
- 13. Hope Your Happy , Jessica Anonymous
- 14. Now Let No Charitable Hope , Elinor Morton Wylie
- 15. Hope , Friedrich Schiller
- 16. Bird Of Hope , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 17. Love Without Hope , Robert Graves
- 18. Song Of Hope , Thomas Hardy
- 19. Since Thou Hast Given Me This Good Hope,.. , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 20. Sonnets 12: Cherish You Then The Hope I .. , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 21. Hope Is Not Lost , Jessica Millsaps
- 22. The Pleasures Of Hope (Excerpt) , Thomas Campbell
- 23. Hope Dieth: Hope Liveth , William Morris
- 24. The Hope Of The Resurrection , Vachel Lindsay
- 25. When Hope But Made Tranquillity Be Felt .. , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 26. Sonnet Xvi: Delusive Hope , Mary Darby Robinson
- 27. Hope , Anne Kingsmill Finch
- 28. Hope For The Future , Joseph T. Renaldi
- 29. Hope , ice johnson
- 30. Lively Hope And Gracious Fear , William Cowper
- 31. Sonnet Xxv: False Hope Prolongs , Samuel Daniel
- 32. Hope Deferred , Robert Fuller Murray
- 33. Sonnet To Hope , Helen Maria Williams
- 34. Lamentations Of Jeremiah Iii: Hope Of Re.. , Prophet Jeremiah
- 35. One Must Have Hope , Vega Destiny Star
- 36. Hope , suchul Jin
- 37. Hope (Just A Thought) , .Pd. is here
- 38. A Pastoral Ballad Ii: Hope , William Shenstone
- 39. Hope On , Charles Harpur
- 40. To Hope , LLM Mbatha
- 41. Had I Presumed To Hope , Emily Dickinson
- 42. Hope , Flora A. Parham
- 43. Enjoy Hope , Sandra Osborne
- 44. I Hope , Sara Magana
- 45. You Gave Me Words Of Hope , Sugawara Takesue no Musume
- 46. Hope , Mathilde Blind
- 47. Love, Faith And Hope , Bob Gotti
- 48. Hope , David Darbyshire
- 49. Hope Is Life , G. Siva Shankar
- 50. The Service Without Hope , Emily Dickinson
New Hope Poems
- Hope.., abhilasha bhatt
- Waiting To Be Loved, Quame Boatmann
- An Endless Road Towards Hope, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Big Thieves, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Hope, Lauren Harper
- Hope Is, SALINI NAIR
- Hope Is Not Faraway, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Hope You Won'T Forget, Lore Me34
- Hope, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Tomorrow Will Be Different, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- carpe diem