Hope Poems - Poems For Hope - The Pleasures Of Hope (Excerpt)
Poems about hope. You can read the best hope poems. Browse through all hope poems.
The Pleasures Of Hope (Excerpt) - Poem by Thomas Campbell
PART I (excerpt)
Where barbarous hordes on Scythian mountains roam,
Truth, Mercy, Freedom, yet shall find a home;
Where'er degraded Nature bleeds and pines,
From Guinea's coast to Sibir's dreary mines,
Truth shall pervade the unfathomed darkness there,
And light the dreadful features of despair.
Hark! the stern captive spurns his heavy load,
And asks the image back that Heaven bestowed.
Fierce in his eye the fire of valour burns,
And, as the slave departs, the man returns.
Oh! sacred Truth! thy triumph ceased awhile,
And Hope, thy sister, ceased with thee to smile,
When leagued Oppression poured to Northern wars
Her whiskered pandoors and her fierce hussars,
Waved her dread standard to the breeze of morn,
Pealed her loud drum, and twanged her trumpet horn;
Tumultuous horror brooded o'er her van,
Presaging wrath to Poland--and to man!
Warsaw's last champion from her height surveyed
Wide o'er the fields, a waste of ruin laid;
"Oh! Heaven!" he cried, "my bleeding country save!
Is there no hand on high to shield the brave?
Yet, though destruction sweep these lovely plains,
Rise, fellow men! our country yet remains!
By that dread name we wave the sword on high,
And swear for her to live!--with her to die!"
He said, and on the rampart-heights arrayed
His trusty warriors, few but undismayed;
Firm-paced and slow, a horrid front they form,
Still as the breeze, but dreadful as the storm;
Low murmuring sounds along their banners fly,
Revenge, or death,--the watch-word and reply;
Then pealed the notes, omnipotent to charm,
And the loud tocsin tolled their last alarm!
In vain, alas! in vain, ye gallant few!
From rank to rank your volleyed thunder flew;
Oh, bloodiest picture in the book of Time,
Sarmatia fell, unwept, without a crime;
Found not a generous friend, a pitying foe,
Strength in her arms, nor mercy in her woe!
Dropped from her nerveless grasp the shattered spear,
Closed her bright eye, and curbed her high career,--
Hope, for a season, bade the world farewell,
And Freedom shrieked--as Kosciusko fell!
The sun went down, nor ceased the carnage there.
Tumultuous murder shook the midnight air;
On Prague's proud arch the fires of ruin glow,
His blood-dyed waters murmuring far below;
The storm prevails, the rampart yields a way;
Bursts the wide cry of horror and dismay!
Hark! as the smouldering piles with thunder fall,
A thousand shrieks for hopeless mercy call!
Earth shook; red meteors flashed along the sky,
And conscious Nature shuddered at the cry!
Oh! righteous Heaven! ere Freedom found a grave,
Why slept the sword omnipotent to save?
Where was thine arm, O Vengeance! where thy rod,
That smote the foes of Zion and of God,
That crushed proud Ammon, when his iron car
Was yoked in wrath, and thundered from afar?
Where was the storm that slumbered till the host
Of blood-stained Pharaoh left their trembling coast,
Then bade the deep in wild commotion flow,
And heaved an ocean on their march below?
Comments about The Pleasures Of Hope (Excerpt) by Thomas Campbell
Poems About Hope
- 1. Hope Is The Thing With Feathers , Emily Dickinson
- 2. The Hope Of My Heart , John McCrae
- 3. To Hope , John Keats
- 4. Hope , Emily Jane Brontë
- 5. Hope Your Happy , Jessica Anonymous
- 6. Evelyn Hope , Robert Browning
- 7. Hope , Randall Jarrell
- 8. The Instinct Of Hope , John Clare
- 9. Bird Of Hope , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 10. Hope Is A Tattered Flag , Carl Sandburg
- 11. Work Without Hope , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 12. Hope Holds To Christ , Gerard Manley Hopkins
- 13. Since Thou Hast Given Me This Good Hope,.. , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 14. Oh, They Have Robbed Me Of The Hope , Anne Brontë
- 15. Dare I Hope? , Sophia White
- 16. Song Of Hope , Thomas Hardy
- 17. Love Without Hope , Robert Graves
- 18. Now Let No Charitable Hope , Elinor Morton Wylie
- 19. Hope , Friedrich Schiller
- 20. Hope Is Not Lost , Jessica Millsaps
- 21. Sonnets 12: Cherish You Then The Hope I .. , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 22. Hope Dieth: Hope Liveth , William Morris
- 23. Hope (Just A Thought) , .Pd. is here
- 24. Hope , ice johnson
- 25. Hope , Anne Kingsmill Finch
- 26. The Pleasures Of Hope (Excerpt) , Thomas Campbell
- 27. The Hope Of The Resurrection , Vachel Lindsay
- 28. When Hope But Made Tranquillity Be Felt .. , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 29. Hope Deferred , Robert Fuller Murray
- 30. Sonnet Xvi: Delusive Hope , Mary Darby Robinson
- 31. One Must Have Hope , Vega Destiny Star
- 32. I Hope , Sara Magana
- 33. Lively Hope And Gracious Fear , William Cowper
- 34. Sonnet Xxv: False Hope Prolongs , Samuel Daniel
- 35. Enjoy Hope , Sandra Osborne
- 36. Hope. , Krantol Northic
- 37. Lamentations Of Jeremiah Iii: Hope Of Re.. , Prophet Jeremiah
- 38. Hope , jodi right
- 39. 0431 You Couldn'T Make It Up... I Hope... , Michael Shepherd
- 40. All Hope , Bill Smith
- 41. Don'T Give Up Hope , Sylvia Chidi
- 42. Hope For The Future , Joseph T. Renaldi
- 43. Hope , suchul Jin
- 44. A Pastoral Ballad Ii: Hope , William Shenstone
- 45. Hope On , Charles Harpur
- 46. To Hope , LLM Mbatha
- 47. 0022 A Dickinsonian Ode To Hope , Michael Shepherd
- 48. Had I Presumed To Hope , Emily Dickinson
- 49. Hope , Flora A. Parham
- 50. Hope Is Good Thing To Hope. , Kristina Riggs
New Hope Poems
- Hope.., abhilasha bhatt
- Waiting To Be Loved, Quame Boatmann
- An Endless Road Towards Hope, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Big Thieves, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Hope, Lauren Harper
- Hope Is, SALINI NAIR
- Hope Is Not Faraway, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Hope You Won'T Forget, Lore Me34
- Hope, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Tomorrow Will Be Different, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- carpe diem