Home Poems - Poems For Home - A Martian Sends A Postcard Home
Poems about home. You can read the best home poems. Browse through all home poems.
A Martian Sends A Postcard Home - Poem by Craig Raine
Caxtons are mechanical birds with many wings
and some are treasured for their markings --
they cause the eyes to melt
or the body to shriek without pain.
I have never seen one fly, but
sometimes they perch on the hand.
Mist is when the sky is tired of flight
and rests its soft machine on ground:
then the world is dim and bookish
like engravings under tissue paper.
Rain is when the earth is television.
It has the property of making colours darker.
Model T is a room with the lock inside --
a key is turned to free the world
for movement, so quick there is a film
to watch for anything missed.
But time is tied to the wrist
or kept in a box, ticking with impatience.
In homes, a haunted apparatus sleeps,
that snores when you pick it up.
If the ghost cries, they carry it
to their lips and soothe it to sleep
with sounds. And yet they wake it up
deliberately, by tickling with a finger.
Only the young are allowed to suffer
openly. Adults go to a punishment room
with water but nothing to eat.
They lock the door and suffer the noises
alone. No one is exempt
and everyone's pain has a different smell.
At night when all the colours die,
they hide in pairs
and read about themselves --
in colour, with their eyelids shut.
Comments about A Martian Sends A Postcard Home by Craig Raine
Poems About Home
- 1. They Went Home , Maya Angelou
- 2. To A Daughter Leaving Home , Linda Pastan
- 3. Home And Love , Robert William Service
- 4. A Letter Home , Siegfried Sassoon
- 5. Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 6. Home Burial , Robert Frost
- 7. Welcome Home , Spike Milligan
- 8. My Childhood Home I See Again , Abraham Lincoln
- 9. Home For Thanksgiving , Linda Pastan
- 10. Home Thoughts, From Abroad , Robert Browning
- 11. Coming Home , Ernestine Northover
- 12. Letter Home , Natasha Trethewey
- 13. Home , Anne Brontë
- 14. Journey Home , Rabindranath Tagore
- 15. Home, Sweet Home , John Howard Payne
- 16. Bound For Your Distant Home , Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- 17. A Home Song , Henry Van Dyke
- 18. Home After Three Months Away , Robert Lowell
- 19. A Martian Sends A Postcard Home , Craig Raine
- 20. At Home , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 21. Home Thoughts , Claude McKay
- 22. Down Home , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 23. Home From Abroad , Laurie Lee
- 24. Home Thoughts, From The Sea , Robert Browning
- 25. On Home Beaches , Les Murray
- 26. Graydigger's Home , William Stafford
- 27. The Home , Rabindranath Tagore
- 28. Home Sweet Home , Siyabonga A Nxumalo
- 29. Away From Home Are Some And I— , Emily Dickinson
- 30. Home , Wilfrid Wilson Gibson
- 31. My Home , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 32. The Old Home Calls , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 33. Come Home, Father! , Henry Clay Work
- 34. Who Goes Home? , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 35. Sweet Stay-At-Home , William Henry Davies
- 36. Almost Home , Sandra Fowler
- 37. When The Children Come Home , Henry Lawson
- 38. Home, Sweet Home , Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- 39. Night In The Old Home , Thomas Hardy
- 40. Home , Rupert Brooke
- 41. The Hangman At Home , Carl Sandburg
- 42. The Wrong Way Home , James Tate
- 43. Variations At Home And Abroad , Kenneth Koch
- 44. Oh Stay At Home, My Lad , Alfred Edward Housman
- 45. The Princess: A Medley: Home They Brough.. , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 46. Home , Zbigniew Herbert
- 47. Lines Written From Home , Anne Brontë
- 48. .home Sweet Home , Nikunj Sharma
- 49. Prophets At Home , Rudyard Kipling
- 50. How Bateese Came Home , William Henry Drummond
New Home Poems
- Tired, Diana Ballesteros
- Hold The Door Please, Nassy Fesharaki
- House, Laura arwen
- Every Migrant, Francis Duggan
- Monoku-113 (Identity-5), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- I Remembered Home, john chizoba vincent
- Home & Paradise, Nikhil Parekh
- Home Is Home, Edward Kofi Louis
- Home, Omar Eldamsheety
- Home, Aminath Neena
- carpe diem