Home Poems - Poems For Home - A Martian Sends A Postcard Home
Poems about home. You can read the best home poems. Browse through all home poems.
A Martian Sends A Postcard Home - Poem by Craig Raine
Caxtons are mechanical birds with many wings
and some are treasured for their markings --
they cause the eyes to melt
or the body to shriek without pain.
I have never seen one fly, but
sometimes they perch on the hand.
Mist is when the sky is tired of flight
and rests its soft machine on ground:
then the world is dim and bookish
like engravings under tissue paper.
Rain is when the earth is television.
It has the property of making colours darker.
Model T is a room with the lock inside --
a key is turned to free the world
for movement, so quick there is a film
to watch for anything missed.
But time is tied to the wrist
or kept in a box, ticking with impatience.
In homes, a haunted apparatus sleeps,
that snores when you pick it up.
If the ghost cries, they carry it
to their lips and soothe it to sleep
with sounds. And yet they wake it up
deliberately, by tickling with a finger.
Only the young are allowed to suffer
openly. Adults go to a punishment room
with water but nothing to eat.
They lock the door and suffer the noises
alone. No one is exempt
and everyone's pain has a different smell.
At night when all the colours die,
they hide in pairs
and read about themselves --
in colour, with their eyelids shut.
Comments about A Martian Sends A Postcard Home by Craig Raine
Poems About Home
- 1. They Went Home , Maya Angelou
- 2. To A Daughter Leaving Home , Linda Pastan
- 3. Home And Love , Robert William Service
- 4. Home Burial , Robert Frost
- 5. Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 6. Welcome Home , Spike Milligan
- 7. My Childhood Home I See Again , Abraham Lincoln
- 8. Home Thoughts, From Abroad , Robert Browning
- 9. Coming Home , Ernestine Northover
- 10. A Letter Home , Siegfried Sassoon
- 11. Home , Anne Brontë
- 12. Home For Thanksgiving , Linda Pastan
- 13. Journey Home , Rabindranath Tagore
- 14. Letter Home , Natasha Trethewey
- 15. Home After Three Months Away , Robert Lowell
- 16. Home, Sweet Home , John Howard Payne
- 17. A Home Song , Henry Van Dyke
- 18. Bound For Your Distant Home , Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- 19. At Home , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 20. Home Thoughts , Claude McKay
- 21. Home Thoughts, From The Sea , Robert Browning
- 22. Home Sweet Home , Siyabonga A Nxumalo
- 23. Down Home , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 24. Home From Abroad , Laurie Lee
- 25. Graydigger's Home , William Stafford
- 26. A Martian Sends A Postcard Home , Craig Raine
- 27. My Home , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 28. The Home , Rabindranath Tagore
- 29. Away From Home Are Some And I— , Emily Dickinson
- 30. On Home Beaches , Les Murray
- 31. The Old Home Calls , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 32. Home , Zbigniew Herbert
- 33. Come Home, Father! , Henry Clay Work
- 34. Variations At Home And Abroad , Kenneth Koch
- 35. Night In The Old Home , Thomas Hardy
- 36. Home , Wilfrid Wilson Gibson
- 37. Home , Rupert Brooke
- 38. Who Goes Home? , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 39. Almost Home , Sandra Fowler
- 40. The Hock-Cart, Or Harvest Home , Robert Herrick
- 41. The Hangman At Home , Carl Sandburg
- 42. The Wrong Way Home , James Tate
- 43. Oh Stay At Home, My Lad , Alfred Edward Housman
- 44. The Princess: A Medley: Home They Brough.. , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 45. When The Children Come Home , Henry Lawson
- 46. .home Sweet Home , Nikunj Sharma
- 47. Prophets At Home , Rudyard Kipling
- 48. How Bateese Came Home , William Henry Drummond
- 49. Sweet Stay-At-Home , William Henry Davies
- 50. Home, Sweet Home , Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
New Home Poems
- Hold The Door Please, Nassy Fesharaki
- House, Laura arwen
- Every Migrant, Francis Duggan
- Comin Home, Buddy Bee Anthony
- Monoku-113 (Identity-5), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- I Remembered Home, john chizoba vincent
- Home & Paradise, Nikhil Parekh
- Home Is Home, Edward Kofi Louis
- Home, Omar Eldamsheety
- Home, Aminath Neena
- carpe diem