Home Poems - Poems For Home - A Letter Home
Poems about home. You can read the best home poems. Browse through all home poems.
A Letter Home - Poem by Siegfried Sassoon
(To Robert Graves)
Here I'm sitting in the gloom
Of my quiet attic room.
France goes rolling all around,
Fledged with forest May has crowned.
And I puff my pipe, calm-hearted,
Thinking how the fighting started,
Wondering when we'll ever end it,
Back to hell with Kaiser sent it,
Gag the noise, pack up and go,
Clockwork soldiers in a row.
I've got better things to do
Than to waste my time on you.
Robert, when I drowse to-night,
Skirting lawns of sleep to chase
Shifting dreams in mazy light,
Somewhere then I'll see your face
Turning back to bid me follow
Where I wag my arms and hollo,
Over hedges hasting after
Crooked smile and baffling laughter,
Running tireless, floating, leaping,
Down your web-hung woods and valleys,
Where the glowworm stars are peeping,
Till I find you, quiet as stone
On a hill-top all alone,
Staring outward, gravely pondering
Jumbled leagues of hillock-wandering.
You and I have walked together
In the starving winter weather.
We've been glad because we knew
Time's too short and friends are few.
We've been sad because we missed
One whose yellow head was kissed
By the gods, who thought about him
Till they couldn't do without him.
Now he's here again; I've been
Soldier David dressed in green,
Standing in a wood that swings
To the madrigal he sings.
He's come back, all mirth and glory,
Like the prince in a fairy tory.
Winter called him far away;
Blossoms bring him home with May.
Well, I know you'll swear it's true
That you found him decked in blue
Striding up through morning-land
With a cloud on either hand.
Out in Wales, you'll say, he marches
Arm-in-arm with aoks and larches;
Hides all night in hilly nooks,
Laughs at dawn in tumbling brooks.
Yet, it's certain, here he teaches
Outpost-schemes to groups of beeches.
And I'm sure, as here I stand,
That he shines through every land,
That he sings in every place
Where we're thinking of his face.
Robert, there's a war in France;
Everywhere men bang and blunder,
Sweat and swear and worship Chance,
Creep and blink through cannon thunder.
Rifles crack and bullets flick,
Sing and hum like hornet-swarms.
Bones are smashed and buried quick.
Yet, through stunning battle storms,
All the while I watch the spark
Lit to guide me; for I know
Dreams will triumph, though the dark
Scowls above me where I go.
You can hear me; you can mingle
Radiant folly with my jingle.
War's a joke for me and you
While we know such dreams are true!
Comments about A Letter Home by Siegfried Sassoon
Poems About Home
- 1. They Went Home , Maya Angelou
- 2. To A Daughter Leaving Home , Linda Pastan
- 3. Home And Love , Robert William Service
- 4. Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 5. Home Burial , Robert Frost
- 6. Welcome Home , Spike Milligan
- 7. My Childhood Home I See Again , Abraham Lincoln
- 8. Home Thoughts, From Abroad , Robert Browning
- 9. Home For Thanksgiving , Linda Pastan
- 10. Home , Anne Brontë
- 11. Coming Home , Ernestine Northover
- 12. Letter Home , Natasha Trethewey
- 13. A Letter Home , Siegfried Sassoon
- 14. Journey Home , Rabindranath Tagore
- 15. Home, Sweet Home , John Howard Payne
- 16. A Home Song , Henry Van Dyke
- 17. Bound For Your Distant Home , Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- 18. Home After Three Months Away , Robert Lowell
- 19. Home From Abroad , Laurie Lee
- 20. At Home , Christina Georgina Rossetti
- 21. Home Thoughts , Claude McKay
- 22. My Home , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 23. Down Home , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 24. Graydigger's Home , William Stafford
- 25. Home Thoughts, From The Sea , Robert Browning
- 26. Variations At Home And Abroad , Kenneth Koch
- 27. The Home , Rabindranath Tagore
- 28. Home Sweet Home , Siyabonga A Nxumalo
- 29. Away From Home Are Some And I— , Emily Dickinson
- 30. The Wrong Way Home , James Tate
- 31. A Martian Sends A Postcard Home , Craig Raine
- 32. The Old Home Calls , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 33. Home , Zbigniew Herbert
- 34. Home , Wilfrid Wilson Gibson
- 35. Who Goes Home? , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 36. On Home Beaches , Les Murray
- 37. Home, Sweet Home , Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
- 38. Almost Home , Sandra Fowler
- 39. The Hangman At Home , Carl Sandburg
- 40. Oh Stay At Home, My Lad , Alfred Edward Housman
- 41. The Princess: A Medley: Home They Brough.. , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 42. When The Children Come Home , Henry Lawson
- 43. .home Sweet Home , Nikunj Sharma
- 44. Prophets At Home , Rudyard Kipling
- 45. Come Home, Father! , Henry Clay Work
- 46. How Bateese Came Home , William Henry Drummond
- 47. Night In The Old Home , Thomas Hardy
- 48. Sweet Stay-At-Home , William Henry Davies
- 49. Home , Rupert Brooke
- 50. Lines Written From Home , Anne Brontë
New Home Poems
- Every Migrant, Francis Duggan
- Monoku-113 (Identity-5), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- I Remembered Home, john chizoba vincent
- Home & Paradise, Nikhil Parekh
- Home Is Home, Edward Kofi Louis
- Home, Omar Eldamsheety
- Home, Aminath Neena
- Big Budget, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Home Beautiful Home Pleasant Home., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Homesick - Part 1, Sheikh Ahmed Tijan Bah
- carpe diem